Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leaving powder in the powder measure

ES13Raven

Best practice is to put your unused powder back in its original container after every reloading session. I see so many pictures and videos of stained powder measures, I wonder how many people actually do that?

If I am going to continue loading in the next day or two, I leave it in there with the powder jug on the bench so I know for sure what is in the hopper. If I'm not going to be loading anytime soon it goes back in the jug.

I emptied the measure tonight to change from WST to Power Pistol for the sake of load development. I normally leave the powder in measure until I either refill it or change powders. My bench in inside in a temperature controlled environment. If the hopper gets too dark, I can just order replacement. I am much concerned with consistent powder throws than the color of the hopper.

I don't consider emptying the powder measure that inconvenient. With that said it depends on the powder.

I leave VV N320 powder in my hopper for extended periods but TiteGroup get's dumped back into it's container immediately. WST stays for extended periods but HP38/231 gets dumped back into the container if I'm not using it in the next few days. All rifle powder goes right back into the original container but that's just because I like my press to be ready to load pistol rounds.

Again, no rhyme or reason other than I know TiteGroup will stain a powder measure quickly and suspect HP38/231 will stain over time. It only take a minute to dump the powder back into the original container. I like knowing my powder measure is clean and polished.

Does anyone have a list of powders that are known to stain a powder measure tube?

I don't do it with my chargemaster because one time I dumped some Varget in with H4350, basically losing nearly 2 lbs of powder. Also, I don't like how leaving the powder in stains the plastic.

My powder measures are stained but I do put the powder back in the container after every reloading session.

Mine too, and I never leave powder in the measure. I bet they stain a lot faster if you do.

I leave the powder in all of my presses. My powder measures are pretty stained (doesn't bother me at all). I live in Nevada, so I don't really have to worry about moisture in the air.

• 2 weeks later...