Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

One Revolver

Smitty79

My next firearm will be a revolver. I've never owned one. While I don't own a firearm that wouldn't be a decent choice to stop a bad guy, that will not be what this one is for. I am buying it just to have one. I like a little variety in the competitions I shoot. I like showing new firearms to people who are less experienced than I am. I can't say I am a trainer, I don't know enough about shooting to do more than provide a little direction to someone with negligible experience. It will be a range toy that will maybe see a match of some kind once or twice a year. I can afford a little extra money for a little extra gun. I would like to get in for gun plus accessories for under $1k. I currently load 9mm and will be loading 45 ACP soon.

I am thinking about 3 firearms.

Ruger GP100 Match Champion
Pro's:
Cheapest of the bunch
Out of the box well set up for IDPA. (I shoot USPSA, but will try IDPA soon.)

Con's:
Only six shooter so would have to load major for USPSA revolver.
357/38 so I would need to add a caliber for reloading.

S&W 627
Pro's
8 Shooter. Best for USPSA

Con's
38/357
Can't really shoot IDPA

S&W 625
Pro's
Softest shooter for major PF
Don't need to add caliber.
Can shoot IDPA.

Con's
Most expensive.
Lots of reloads for USPSA.

Suggestions? Leaning towards 625 for now.

Edited by Smitty79

The last USPSA match I shot, revolver division was won by a six shot minor gun fed with speed loaders. To some extent it's the archer not the arrow, but for USPSA an 8 shooter is easier.

929 sightings are like seeing Bigfoot. 9mm is appealing but you may need to crimp the loads differently than you do for your autos.

I like my 625 a lot, but I shoot my 627 better. I prefer the N frames to the L frames, I just don't dig the 686 all that much.

Now that USPSA has allowed the 8shot thing, the 625 is no longer the expensive one in the bunch. Nicely tuned 625 that used to bring a premium seem to be running 3-400 less than a year ago. The 625 is a sweet gun, I would opt for it.

I think most people will say buy a 627 and forget about IDPA

What he said....

I like shooting IDPA and I agree with this advice. Buy the gun for the game you already like to play. The gun for the game is an 8 shot minor shooter of some kind. I'd argue that with the costs of accessories to play USPSA, the 8 shot gun will be more expensive than the 625 and probably greater than your $1k price point.

I only shoot IDPA so I went with the 625. I'm really liking it. I think I'm gonna put my 1911s on the self and just shoot revolver for a few months.

Wise choice...that's what I'm doing this season also. I'll be shooting revolver only in the sanctioned matches this year.

617. get a plinker. If you love shooting it, then you will get a 625. Then you will get a 627. Think of the 617 as a gateway Revo.......seriously.... :cheers:

DougC

The only fault with this, I mean, the only one, is 9mm is now cheaper and easier to find than .22lr. Which is the only reason I vote for a 627/327. Edited by lora

617. get a plinker. If you love shooting it, then you will get a 625. Then you will get a 627. Think of the 617 as a gateway Revo.......seriously.... :cheers:

DougC

The only fault with this, I mean, the only one, is 9mm is now cheaper and easier to find than .22lr. Which is the only reason I vote for a 627/327.

I really only want one revolver. If I need to have someone only shoot a 22, that's what the 22/45 is for.

I’ll give a contrarian view here – get a used .38/.357 six-shot revo that has already been tuned. There is a HUGE difference in shootability between a stock revo and one that has a tuned action. Folks are always getting out of SSR in IDPA and they often sell their whole competition package (tuned revo, holster, speedloader holders, and speedloaders) as a package – often at a substantial discount to what they paid.

Get a revo with adjustable sights and an easily replaceable front sight.

You’ll have a game ready gun and equipment that will allow you to play any action handgun game (forget about being competitive at this point and have fun and see if you like the revo game).

You’ll also have a revo that anyone can shoot if you’re interested in showing others how to shoot.

You’ll be able to do it for under $1K, including getting dies and components to load .38s

Try and find someone who will let you shoot a Smith and a Ruger – the actions feel different and some folks will know right away which they prefer. Also, some like a heavier gun such as a 686 or GP 100 and some folks like K frame Smiths such as the 19/66 line or the 15/67 line.

Revos are great fun – enjoy!

• 2 months later...

I'm shooting a 625 in ESR and a 65 in SSR for IDPA. I enjoy both divisions. You can get a used Model 64 or 65 for under $300. Another hundred will get you a nice trigger job. That's a lot of money left over for holster, speedloaders, and especially ammunition.

I'm looking forward to trying my 625 at a USPSA match, too.

627 is a lot more fun then the ruger mc. I just sold my ruger mc. There seems to be more parts and support for the smiths also.

I sold mine as well. I went with a 686SSR... Just a better option IMHO.

Edited by S391

Ruger GP100 Match Champion

Pro's:

Cheapest of the bunch

Out of the box well set up for IDPA. (I shoot USPSA, but will try IDPA soon.)

Con's:

Only six shooter so would have to load major for USPSA revolver.

357/38 so I would need to add a caliber for reloading.

Suggestions? Leaning towards 625 for now.

Not necessarily. I shoot higher scores with my 6 shot 686, running .38 Short Colt than I do with my 625. It's easier to shoot alphas and they come slightly faster. Something to think about.

Not necessarily. I shoot higher scores with my 6 shot 686, running .38 Short Colt than I do with my 625. It's easier to shoot alphas and they come slightly faster. Something to think about.

Indeed, and that was the primary difference between Major and Minor for decades. But now, as long as you are going to shoot Minor, you can also have a higher capacity, so you might as well.

And for those looking for every edge possible, the higher-capacity revolvers have less angle to turn for each shot/trigger stroke.

Edited by MAC702