Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 open build

Revofan

i need some info on good builders i would like to build an open 9mm for steel this will be my first 2011 as im a glock shooter selling my open glock and moving up to the big leagues thanks

Don't buy a stock sti you will put so much money into it you would have been better off to have a custom gun

I haven't had to put a dime into mine, I swapped extractors to shoot supercomp but thats it. Its totally factory and running great.

All of the builders that have been mentioned are great builders. Depends on your location, but two more that need to be mentioned are Glenn at Lonestar Innovations in Texas and Jeff at Tommy Guns in North Carolina. Both are stand up guys and reasonably priced. Stay away from a stock STI. The difference that you pay in a true custom is worth the extra.

Thanks alot for the good info I've Ben in contact with a lot of these guys mentioned and wow 5k seems to be about where they are for a full custom build that is a lot for a guy with 3kids 3 dogs and a whole lot of bills !!! I was hoping around 3-3500 I recently sold some of my favorite firearms (there all my favorite!) to fund this build I just didn't know it was going to be so expensive is it worth grabbing a steelmaster for I plan on shooting mostly steel with it ? Or just go for it and do a custom another thing is steelmasters are available and a build will take many months ?

Hello: Don't get a Steel Master if you plan to resell or shoot a normal USPSA/IPSC match. The Tru-Bor will work great for minor loads with just a recoil spring setup. I suggested the Tru Bor in the first place since you can start shooting now after it arrives from Shooter Connection. You can also use the money you saved for a Dillon reloading press and components. There are a lot of good builders out there but for what you want to do I would save the cash. I have 2 kids and know what it costs, it even gets more costly when they start shooting. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Don't get a Steel Master if you plan to resell or shoot a normal USPSA/IPSC match. The Tru-Bor will work great for minor loads with just a recoil spring setup. I suggested the Tru Bor in the first place since you can start shooting now after it arrives from Shooter Connection. You can also use the money you saved for a Dillon reloading press and components. There are a lot of good builders out there but for what you want to do I would save the cash. I have 2 kids and know what it costs, it even gets more costly when they start shooting. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

That's some good advice. A TruBor is a great gun to start shooting open with and can have one pretty much right away. You can always sell it later to fund a custom build.

Edited by klee

Thanks and yes it does get more expensive that's also part of my issue my 13yr old daughter shoots steel challenge with me and it's dbl the ammo and now she wants her own set up to shoot uspsa !!! Lol