9mm Major primers falling/burned!

DrLove

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there good resistance when you set the primer? How old is the brass?

it's once fired brass and yes, primers look ok to me. If I have to guess it's this batch of brass since it's mainly the "new" variable to this equation. But again, this is the problem with 9major. There are too many variables.

Hello: Try loading out to 1.170" OAL and check to see how much headspace you have. Also take your barrel out and drop a reloaded round in to see if the bullet is hitting the lands of the rifling. 9mm major is not any harder to load than 38 super or 38SC. You just have to figure out what is going on no matter what caliber you are shooting. Thanks, Eric

9mm major is not any harder to load than 38 super or 38SC.

Exactly my experience, the switch was totally painless. Never seen any problems with either... with guns - yes, but the ammo has been perfect, so I am REALLY curious what is happening in this case. Could that be indeed the case of a hot batch of powder?

Or... God forbids... a mislabeled can? Is it in its original can?

Vihtavuori has a disclaimer that says something like, due to the fact that we can not guarantee the handling of the powder after it leaves Lapua We can not warranty it. Blaa blaa blaa. If the do have a hot batch the should atleast notify us, Or do something. Grrrr but also this would be the first I have ever from a powder manufact. ???

Is there good resistance when you set the primer? How old is the brass?

it's once fired brass and yes, primers look ok to me. If I have to guess it's this batch of brass since it's mainly the "new" variable to this equation. But again, this is the problem with 9major. There are too many variables.

The BEST thing you can do. (1) Borrow some HS6, or Sil, or WAC from someone's batch who loaded and chroned their loads and borrow WIN SRP, or CCI, or FED SRP. Or borrow a few loads from someone who shoots 9 Major all the time. This will rule out the gun or identify the gun as the problem. If it were the gun, I would get it to a known smith as soon as possibe. Unless the barrel is really shortchamber'd and the bullets are against the lands causing extreme pressue--rarely a gun problem.

Their is no mystery loading 9 Major, but something is causing extreme pressure with those loads and the gun. You could try backing the load way down and see what happens.

Vihtavuori has a disclaimer that says something like, due to the fact that we can not guarantee the handling of the powder after it leaves Lapua We can not warranty it. Blaa blaa blaa. If the do have a hot batch the should atleast notify us, Or do something. Grrrr but also this would be the first I have ever from a powder manufact. ???

This actually sounds like a reasonable explanation, once you push a powder outside it's usable range the velocity starts to go down, but not necessarily the pressure, so Doc might have faster powder than he thinks and be hitting 169pf on the way back down.

WAIT WAIT WAIT----Did the OP say he was using Remington 6 1/2 primers?? If so, yes they are rifle primers BUT they are LOW pressure primers, they say on the box don't use in 223 and other high pressure rounds. So there's your problem.

WAIT WAIT WAIT----Did the OP say he was using Remington 6 1/2 primers?? If so, yes they are rifle primers BUT they are LOW pressure primers, they say on the box don't use in 223 and other high pressure rounds. So there's your problem.

that's another reason I like 38 super more. they work perfectly with those primers :) Anyway, thx guys for all the info..

This. The 6 1/2 rem primers are only made for low pressure loads, like the 22 hornet. They used to have this warning info in fine print right on the boxes.

Here's my issue if you are having these issues loading 9 major you are missing some basic fundamental reloading skill that will eventually end up showing up in your super loads.

It's not the primer I have run 173 with federal pistol primers and 6.5s out of an open glock.

The problem is something else did some how by chance your powder get mixed . Mean that you accidentally poured the wrong powder back in the jug. what dies are you using are you over crimping not not crimping at all. is it only doing this the 3n38 or did it do it with other powders.. there is no secrete to loading 9 major. process is the same.

I do remember you being very confused about a load the original owner told you and you damn near blew the gun up with 200 pf posted here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183515&page=2#entry2030608

So yeah now i got to be that guy, the dick that's going to tell you you either need to figure out what's up by consulting someone near you or stop reloading before you hurt yourself or someone else

These are obvious over pressure cases which is why you are having to knock them out

I finally tossed my old trubore barrel out when I was loading

9.2 grains of hs6 with a 124 at 1.165 and hardly getting 170 pf

It had 3 holes and was shot out

Where are you located if you are a couple hours from me I'm in South Louisiana I'll meet up with you and we can figure it out

Edited by Mat Price

Dr love look in the inside of one of the cases that stuck and see if there is a step in the case wall on the in side about half way down (basically a thicker section of case wall) some one showed me a couple cases they had run into locally that had this step in them. The factory probably did it to eliminate bullet set back but for reloading it would lower the case volume and with major loads could cause issues.

Dr love look in the inside of one of the cases that stuck and see if there is a step in the case wall on the in side about half way down (basically a thicker section of case wall) some one showed me a couple cases they had run into locally that had this step in them. The factory probably did it to eliminate bullet set back but for reloading it would lower the case volume and with major loads could cause issues.

Again another non-issue. Every one who loads mixed brass sees those cases. I load them all the time. It's enough to bump the velocity about 2ft/second... These are all variables everyone sees when loading