Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major primers falling/burned!

DrLove

guys, still having problems with 9mmMajor. Every time I got to a match and try to shoot 9mmMajor I end up getting a DNF due to malfunctions.

so this time, on every stage I get a primer falling/burning (see pics below), the case gets stuck in the chamber, and I have to use a rod to get the case out!!

Now my load is shouldn't really cause any overpressure as I know a lot of people load way more hotter than this: 8.7gr of 3N38, MG124JHP, 1.16OAL, mixed brass.

What again am I doing wrong??? I'm really thinking of just calling the smith and asking him to build me a 38super top end for this gun since I don't know what's wrong. But i know a lot of you run 9mmMajor with no issues so what am I doing wrong!!

thanks in advance for any help..

post-47388-0-35968200-1403990435_thumb.j

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can give it a try. What primers are you using? Did you mean they are falling out of the case? When? What do you mean by burning? What does the chrono say about your load out of that gun? Are you checking for bullet set back. Federal is thin walled and I got bad set back with MG bullets. I started using a udie because of Federal brass. What is the history of the brass? FC brass has loose primer pockets and they wear out pretty easy from what I see when loading them.

Edited by Sarge

I can give it a try. What primers are you using? Did you mean they are falling out of the case? When? What does the chrono say about your load out of that gun?

Hey Sarge, I'm using Remington 6 1/2 and they work just fine with my 38super loads. I shouldn't have used the word falling, they are actually exploding probably due to pressure and the case gets stuck in the chamber!! this is just a 169PF load so I don't know what's wrong. It does happen with several head stamps.

Thats most likely the firing pin. If you run a titanium firing pin and a heavy hammer rhen it hits the primer hard enough to puncture it.

Try putting a new firing pin spring in and if that does not fix it then try a different firing pin.

My guess would be if it blows the primer to bits then pressure bleeds off enough to slow bullet reaction so the case swells up. Are the cases blackened as well?

Remington are soft primers. I bet if you try Winchester or CCI small rifle primers you won't have the same problem. Worth a try anyway.

There ARE small rifle problems. Guys, I even tried the same load in my other gun and out of 100rnds I got two of those.

I'm completely lost not sure what's wrong!

I have been shooting Major 9 for years and learned early on that all brass is not created equal. The only time I had blown primers was when I used brass that was too soft.

So I would first look at what brand brass this happens in.

By chance are you shooting it in the 38 barrel? Shooting 9 major in a 38 barrel will pierce primers

I was actually going to ask if he was sure it was a 9mm barrel but thought it might seem sarcastic.

By chance are you shooting it in the 38 barrel? Shooting 9 major in a 38 barrel will pierce primers

I was actually going to ask if he was sure it was a 9mm barrel but thought it might seem sarcastic.

no guys, it's a 9mm bbl. I really wish it was a 38super then I wouldn't need to call Limcat asking him to build me a new top end :)

no guys, it's a 9mm bbl. I really wish it was a 38super then I wouldn't need to call Limcat asking him to build me a new top end :)

It's just an isolated ammo issue. I know far more open shooters running 9mm than I do running 38. There is no reason to move to 38 these days.

I am wondering at the case not extracting.

the case looks ok, so it should have been pulled...

I think the primers show signs of blow-by.

so the primer is opening the slide while the case is still under pressure.

The primer is supposed to do the same thing the case mouth does,

use pressure to seal against the wall supporting it,

chamber and primer pocket, respectively

the rifle primer may not be getting enough pressure to seal.

I'd try a pistol primer and see if it holds.

that or get a stout extractor.

miranda

Remington are soft primers. I bet if you try Winchester or CCI small rifle primers you won't have the same problem. Worth a try anyway.

There ARE small rifle problems. Guys, I even tried the same load in my other gun and out of 100rnds I got two of those.

I'm completely lost not sure what's wrong!

Not all small rifle primers are equal. I shot some rem. small rifle primers in an AR and had the same signs you show above,with a "book" charge/load. I switched back to CCI small rifle primers and the primers are barely flat with the same charge. Like I mentioned before, try a different primer, it's worth a shot.

I somewhat agree with the Brit, is the firing pin longer than stock or titanium? Even if it is neither, I would drop in a known stock one just to eliminate the firing pin from the equation.

My load works just fine with Win small pistol primers. 3n38 or 3n37, although both are real full and compressed should be fine. I moved to hs6 and it's not compressed so I don't make a mess spilling powder.

Just a couple of ideas...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Primers falling out means the casehead expanded and it has nothing to do with the firing pin or soft primers.

Old, pre-"dot FC dot" brass is soft. Use newer FC or Win brass as it is hader and stands up better to pressure.

You do realize you're running close to 50,000 PSI, don't you?