Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best primer for tightgroup in 9mm?

jriggs

M&P pro

Sounds like you went with CCI so you're golden.

My son shoots an M&P and is 100% on CCI but has problems (1 in 100) with Tula Primers. I'm the first to admit it may be the loaders fault (me) so I'll say it's "my experience" that Tula primers aren't my first choice when loading for the M&P pistols. I've had better luck with Tula primers on striker fired semi-auto pistols but still not 100%. As always, YMMV.

M&P pro

I you have light striker springs in it then you should try to use Federal Primers. They have the softest priming cup and most sensitive priming compound and they are pretty much a must in you want a 2 to 2.5lb trigger on a Glock or M&P.

The next choice would be Winchester. Unless you are running full power striker Springs you should avoid CCI.

Striker spring is still original S&W stuff. Do guys actually change out striker springs in M&P pistols??? What's the benefit of that?

Striker spring is still original S&W stuff. Do guys actually change out striker springs in M&P pistols??? What's the benefit of that?

Our M&P's have the Apex Competition Spring Kits installed. We use these spring kits to get to trigger pull down to about 3 lbs. Yes, these kits include a striker spring but I can't say if it's more or less strong than the stock. I'm sure somebody knows.

Here's a link to the Apex Spring kit: https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid37.html

Edited by razorfish

Oh I see. We'll I'm already running the apex FSS kit along with their RAM. And the trigger is perfect as is.... So as long as everything continues to work well and I don't get any misfires I'll probably leave them alone.

The 2011 guys see the like CCI but most shooting tuned striker fired or double action competition guns shy alway from them. I have years shooting a Glock with a light trigger (it only ran on Federal) and I definitely avoid them for striker fired guns, Double/singles and revolvers that have had significant trigger work. M&P might not be quite as bad a Glock but using Federal or Winchester would give you a little more confidence for ignition.

CCI ANd WINCHESTER ARE THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER IN LOCAL STORES....I USE FED MATCH FOR ACCURACY LOADS IN 308; I don't like Federal because of the box they come in, although it does make them safer for carrying around...

Marine Corp

Colonial Shooting Academy

ok I might snag some Winchester primers then too...I just checked and the place I snag them from has 3400 of the 1K boxes in stock...so I think I can get a few without any issues :)

Especially for TiteGroup, the actual "flame" of the primer is a non issue. TiteGroup will light up if you whisper "fire" over it. The question is what primers will work with your action or trigger group. If you have a really light trigger which is the result of very light springs, then Federal's are the primers of choice. Winchester's are reportedly also more easy to set off than some others, but I cannot personally verify that. I have used CCI's in a lot of guns for years that have fairly light triggers and they always worked for me, but some guns are like some women and are fickle about what they can live with.

Soooo... experiments are in order. Good luck, but I think you will be ok with any of the domestic primers available.

Federal for S@W Revolvers with tuned actions and Glock's with lightened trigger parts. Winchester for Auto pistols, My Trojan has a three year old 15 lb main spring and no issues with Winchester primers. CCI is the hardest of the three will work well in stock sprung guns but not in guns with tuned actions.

CCI small rifle work great in 223. Try and seat primers below flush .004 to .006 deep.

Tuned action on a Smith can come down to 6.5 lbs with well seated Federal primers and run 100%. Use Winchester and you'll need just over 7 lbs to set the primer off. CCI small pistol primers and your looking at 8 lbs maybe a little up from that. The older Russian brass primers worked well, newer plated primers are hard as a Coke bottle.

My 5" M&P Pro has the Apex competition trigger kit in it, which yields a 36 oz trigger, and even though it has never failed to fire with CCI primers, if I'm going to shoot it at a match that I care about, I use Federal match primers. Maybe I'm a little paranoid from years of HAVING to use Federal in Glocks, with lightened triggers, but, if nothing else, it makes me feel better to know they will go off.

I've used Winchester, CCI, Tula, S&B, and Federal small pistol primers.

I have light mainsprings in all my round guns, so that's what the Federal is for.

Accuracy out of a pistol, well, if you're doing Bianchi or Bullseye, you may want to experiment. Most of the domestic primers are probably a great place to start.

For USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge, I have not noticed an appreciable difference between them. I notice more of a difference between my 5" revolver lobbing light Short Colts and my 4" 9mm, and that's a function of sights, radius, etc.