Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best primer for tightgroup in 9mm?

jriggs

My experience is that a primer is a primer, unless:

1. you are shooting a revolver with a very light trigger spring

2. your gun won't set off some harder primers (My BHP doesn't

set off the Russian primers reliably, but I use them for

practice sessions, because they're cheap) :cheers:

ok...thanks for the info. I come from the world of rifles and loading for precision so primers are a vey big deal and can make or break a load. are primers less important in pistols because of the small volume of powder that must be ignited?

CCI #500 Small Pistol Primers run the best in my Dillon 650. Supposedly CCI #500's are designed to run in progressive presses. CCI's are consistent and always go bang for me.

Federal primers are very soft and when you hear of primers going "KaBoom" in a 650, a Federal primer is usually to blame. Only use Federal's if you're having problems with light strikes and then never force a Federal primer while seating on a Dillon press.

Winchester SPP are great primers, but you seem to get one "out of round" every so often. A little frustrating but they always seem to go bang.

Tula SPP are okay, but don't run as smooth in my 650. I definitely would never use Tula's in match ammo. I have issues with a couple every thousand not going boom. Worse for me in striker fired pistols than hammer fired pistols. I only use Tula for practice ammo.

Remington... No personal experience with their SPP's, but I see them used very rarely in 9mm

Basically the answer you seek is CCI #500's followed closely by Winchesters. YMMV

I like Federal, Winchester and CCI in that order. Federals work best in my LNL and they are the most forgiving with lightly sprung competition guns. However, buy what you can get just avoid the Russian stuff (Wolf, Tula, etc) if possible because some of them are insanely hard.

Any primer would be OK, as long as they go bang in your gun.

I have used CCI, Federal, Remington, Winchester, all with out problems across all my guns.

For insurance you could install a longer firing pin, if one is available for you choice of gun. I have only done this in my match guns.

Winchester SPP for me. I re-use mixed range brass on my SP01 Shadowline and 85 Combat. I tried CCI SPP but had a few non-ignition. Load it again for the 2nd time, it ignites. Most reloaders suggest the softer Federal SPPs and use a longer firing pin.

I shoot CZs in 9mm for production and they are tricked out.. With a extended firing pin I still only use Feds and Winchester primers, I have had CCI and the Russian primers occasionally fail.

Pending the press you have stick with the ones that go bang every time in your gun.

I use Tula KVB-223 SRPs in 9mm and SP Federal .45ACP and have never had one fail to fire. These are in 1911s, 17lb mainsprings. However, I prime by hand with a Lee Ergo Prime while watching - sort of - some of the dross on TV.

I think a lot of the people who have problems with primers don't get them seated fully - that is usually the reason that many state they will fire on the second strike. The first strike has merely seated the primer properly!

CCI #500 Small Pistol Primers run the best in my Dillon 650. Supposedly CCI #500's are designed to run in progressive presses. CCI's are consistent and always go bang for me.

Federal primers are very soft and when you hear of primers going "KaBoom" in a 650, a Federal primer is usually to blame. Only use Federal's if you're having problems with light strikes and then never force a Federal primer while seating on a Dillon press.

Winchester SPP are great primers, but you seem to get one "out of round" every so often. A little frustrating but they always seem to go bang.

Tula SPP are okay, but don't run as smooth in my 650. I definitely would never use Tula's in match ammo. I have issues with a couple every thousand not going boom. Worse for me in striker fired pistols than hammer fired pistols. I only use Tula for practice ammo.

Remington... No personal experience with their SPP's, but I see them used very rarely in 9mm

Basically the answer you seek is CCI #500's followed closely by Winchesters. YMMV

+1 on what razorfish said!

My experiences are the same.

CCI is my choice also. Wins seem to get turned around in my dillon and federals are very soft. I have not had one go bang in my reloader but I have seen many of them with dents to the point you can see the anvil shape.

any help this. finally gonna start pumping out 9mm on my Dillon for my 3 gun matches and i need to stock up on some primers if possible.

thanks in advance,

riggs

What is your 3 Gun platform?

M&P pro

I you have received reduced power striker springs in it then you should try to use Federal Primers. They have the softest priming cup and most sensitive priming compound and they are pretty much a must in you want a 2 to 2.5lb trigger on a Glock or M&P.

The next choice would be Winchester. Unless you are running full power striker Springs you should avoid CCI.

Edited by alma