Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a good brand of hat?

Sarge

I'm in the process of having a few hats made up with custom embroidery and was wondering what brand of ball cap is really good. I don't want to spend 10 bucks embroidering a 2 dollar hat that won't keep it's shape.

Any thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated.

As a feature, I like hats to do not come all the way down to the ears, they interfere with getting a good fit over the ears with the muffs.

Other than that, all my hats have lasted a long time. My Mickey Mouse hat bit the dust after 15 years.

Here is the desert, sweat marks usually make the hat(s) unattractive which leads me to not wearing them.

Probley not everyone's favorite style but the Radar Pocket Cap from Outdoor Research is the nice feeling cap I have ever wore expressly on a bald head like mine. You can fold it and keep it in your back pocket, wash it and it will keep it's shape 100%.It's not advertised as water proof but until you wash it it will hold water

The best way to judge a quality hat is to just count the thread lines on the bill, the best ones will have at least 6 lines of heavy stitching if it has that your good to go, the brand name doesnt matter because it is most likely made at the same factory and sold under various product names...

The best hat I've got was a freebie from the FNH match. It labeled "Reggie Matthews" for whatever that is worth. If the bill stich count is relevant, this one has 8 :)

New era hats are nice.

Never mind they don't have plain hats (thought they did)

I was told by the sales guys at Lids that their blank caps are made by New Era.

As for fit, there are many differences. Someone mentioned not having one that comes down to the ears. I've bought two caps recently, one was Oakley and the other ArcTeryx and they both fit MY head differently. I would say that it really depends on you. Once you find a "fit" that's good, then start looking at different brands. As for the flat bill, any amount of work can make a flat bill perfectly curved to your desire, the baseball folks have been doing that for years!

Thanks guys for all the input so far. There can be no logos at all on the hats as I am working on making one up. So no NIKE, IOWA, etc. I think I have it pretty well narrowed down at this point.

Sarge.

Otto Flex Fit hats are very good quality. On par with New Era. You can get these in bulk and different colors. I do embroidery and some digitizing so if you need any help, please PM me.

Take care