Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC headstamped brass

Craig N

I reload CBC and some other low grade brass with 115 grain bullets only. That way they will pass the case  gauge and are usable. Otherwise they show a nice bulge in the case that causes all sorts of bad troubles right in the middle of a stage.

On 8/30/2019 at 4:55 AM, mont1120 said:

I reload CBC and some other low grade brass with 115 grain bullets only. That way they will pass the case  gauge and are usable. Otherwise they show a nice bulge in the case that causes all sorts of bad troubles right in the middle of a stage.

This makes sense. 

I use them with a 100gr RF coated bullet I like; never had issues with them and that short bullet even in pretty tight chambers, but don't consider it "good quality" brass either. I tend to use it up at the local range where we lose most of our brass (can't pick up anything forward of the line). 

On 8/30/2019 at 4:55 AM, mont1120 said:

Same here.   I load allot of 165gr 9mm for subs and CBC’s are some of the worst for bulging the case due to how thick the walls taper is.  Firearm will not go into battery and takes effort to remove it.  I have I think 200+ CBC, S&B and R-P loads marked for disassembly from a few yrs ago when I learned this the hard way, cracking out the first 165 sub loads all with the same issue.     I have to head stamp and sort 100% of my brass for Sub loads with the longer projectiles.  

I’ve reloaded CBC brass with 124 gr bullets and they always pass the gauge, the issue I ran into was with Winchester primers, it seemed that I needed a little more force to get them seated and sometimes they would not seat fully. I recently switched back to federal primers and they seat fine in CBC brass no more high primers.

I've measured the amount of case taper of different headstamps and recorded that in groups for sorting. Figured I'd post it here, maybe it'll be useful to someone else (apologies for my handwriting). To clarify what this means - FC brass has the shortest internal taper (closest to the case head) and will accept the longest bullets. CBC brass on the opposite end has internal taper extending farthest from the case head and only works well with shorter bullets. The others are grouped for similar taper lengths and can be sorted that way. 

9mm taper.jpg

Edited by Yondering

On 6/4/2014 at 5:31 AM, cecil said:

anyone ever come across "ammo load" brass ? look inside of them... I throw them in my scrap bucket..

These are FMJ 147gn +P 

1-4 CBC

5 Speer

6 Sellier Belliot

15684453092943442101593679230551.jpg

Edited by Billock
Add media thanks

So I just finished loading. What the one gentleman mentioned about the CBC brass being springy. Could it be the metallurgical compound ? I was wondering why the CBC brass looks like it does. I always thought it was strange but comparing it to my other cases. Yes, see for yourself. L to right  Fiochi- CBC-Federal cartridge. Springy indeed. I'll verify these +P loads length tomorrow. 

IMG_20190913_234215.jpg

On 6/5/2014 at 1:50 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Load them with everything else in the 9mm. fortunately have never had a problem

good fortune figuring it out

I guess it's love the stuff or hate the stuff. It does appear to me, to always be the cleanest, shiniest brass after tumbling. Next to the nickle cases of course. 

IMG_20190913_232732.jpg

IMG_20190913_233447.jpg

7 hours ago, MacLethal said:

They seem to be more difficult to load on my 550, I was thinking they are thicker possibly? I ran some of the brass juice pistol case lube on them and they are like butter now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lube all of my brass before loading.  All the cases are like butter.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:14 AM, Yondering said:

I've measured the amount of case taper of different headstamps and recorded that in groups for sorting. Figured I'd post it here, maybe it'll be useful to someone else (apologies for my handwriting). To clarify what this means - FC brass has the shortest internal taper (closest to the case head) and will accept the longest bullets. CBC brass on the opposite end has internal taper extending farthest from the case head and only works well with shorter bullets. The others are grouped for similar taper lengths and can be sorted that way. 

Thanks. That helps explain why the "shortest" in you list are my "go to" for loading 147gr coated. I had the same issue as the OP at one time with CBC. Loaded, crimped bullets simply fell out when they hit the catch box.

S&B, WCC, Win NT Fed NT and WMA go into the circular file when I sort by headstamp.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:14 AM, Yondering said:

9mm taper.jpg

• 8 months later...

I use pretty much whatever I can pick up from reloading 9mm on my Dillon..this time I've notice a lot of rejects on my reloads. I use DG 147 FP and have been using them for a while. The problem is that they won't pass a chase gauge..seems that the mouth of the case gets to about .380, and it won't pass. I figure that if you are using a bullet that doesn't seat so deep..you might now have this problem? Most of my rejects have been CBC brass..

Has anyone perfected a brass magnet yet?

Also found that CBC and PMC is around .001 thicker than others even at the mouth. And as Yondering states, inside taper/thickness varies by brand and even within same brands. Most are .010-.011 at the mouth and go to .015-.016. Federal brass with the bullet stop crimp tapers very quickly right below that crimp line but Fed military has less taper. To me it also seems that CBC & PMC brass are tougher, harder/springier, almost like when brass gets overworked or loaded allot. But it doesn’t seem to be brittle and crack prone. I have some 10mm that’s been loaded 20 times as test brass and still going. Also out of the 20 or so different calibers that I have reloaded, the 9mm is the biggest PITA of all of them. 

Edited by Farmer

I just started reloading and have been using Magtech (CBC) brass from the ammo that I had on hand. I've also picked up a fair amount of Winchester and Federal. While I do like the consistency of the Magtech brass, it definitely has a "firmer" quality compared to the Winchester and Federal. Most of my brass is CBC, so that's what I seat to - that means my Winchester and Federal brass consistently seat 0.005" deeper than than the CBC. There is also a noticeable difference in how it works with resizing.

• 2 weeks later...

One other thing I noticed about CBC brass is that the primer pockets are not to spec.  I had a bunch that were very hard to deprime so after depriming them I decided to use a reamer on them.  More brass came off the primer pocket than crimped military brass.   If I put a Winchester or Federal case through the reamer, nothing at all comes off, so clearly the primer pockets are too tight.

Edited by codemonkey

They use a three point stamp to crimp the primers in. I think it has a tendency to shrink the pockets farther down into the pocket than the typical full circle crimp on mil brass.  At least that’s what it feels like with my pocket gauge. 

On 6/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, codemonkey said:

One other thing I noticed about CBC brass is that the primer pockets are not to spec.  I had a bunch that were very hard to deprime so after depriming them I decided to use a reamer on them.  More brass came off the primer pocket than crimped military brass.   If I put a Winchester or Federal case through the reamer, nothing at all comes off, so clearly the primer pockets are too tight.

CCI primers work much better. I had Winchester primers initially and ended up crushing a few, so I gave up on them with the CBC brass. 

On 6/26/2020 at 10:49 AM, codemonkey said:

I have had the same issue. Many are not getting deprimed on the first attempt