Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CBC headstamped brass

Craig N

Who makes/marks the CBC brass?

I loaded up some coated bullets and I toss them into a cardboard box on the shelf under my press. I had some break apart/bullet came out. All of them were CBCs. I figured it could be not enough crimp since I was set up for loading lead (same company by the way) and ran em through again.......same thing. It was just odd to me that they were the only brass that did this.

Who makes/marks the CBC brass?

I loaded up some coated bullets and I toss them into a cardboard box on the shelf under my press. I had some break apart/bullet came out. All of them were CBCs. I figured it could be not enough crimp since I was set up for loading lead (same company by the way) and ran em through again.......same thing. It was just odd to me that they were the only brass that did this.

Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos, Avenida Industrial No 3330, Santo Andre, Estado de Sâo Paulo, Brazil

When I load the CBC head stamp brass on my 650, the loaded rounds will never pass the case gauge check and the plunk test. I no longer will use that brass. Now it is in the scrap bucket.

CBC had a big KABOOM problem in .308 brass about ten years ago. I'll use their brass in low-pressure pistol rounds with lead bullets but I don't trust 'em beyond that low standard.

Mark

I've used CBC 9mm brass for years and years, and have never had a problem with them passing the gauge, loading on a 1050 with EGW u-die. The brass seems pretty durable, I usually lose it before it wears out, but I've had a few cracked cases, which probably had been through 10+ load cycles.

I noticed that they increase the OAL by about .005 compared to other mixed brass. Works fine, but it did affect accuracy.

Exact same experience with regards to OAL. CBC consistently loads longer.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When I load the CBC head stamp brass on my 650, the loaded rounds will never pass the case gauge check and the plunk test. I no longer will use that brass. Now it is in the scrap bucket.

My experience as well (on my SDB). I think the brass is a bit thicker, causing this problem, and maybe accounting for the other comments on this thread. I discard it.

anyone ever come across "ammo load" brass ? look inside of them... I throw them in my scrap bucket..

Yeah; internal belt. Really weird. Seen one other HS with the same (gotta check at home to see what brand). Potential pressure issue if using a recipe that assumes normal case volume, probably OK if you work up a load for it specifically.

I sort my brass for stuff like this. When I get a few hundred ot this type of 9mm brass, I'll probably make up a soft practice load, then shoot and leave them.

My experience is this brass is thicker than some other brands. If using mixed brass I can tell the difference when the loaded round goes into the crimp die.

I would be happy to have a five gallon of just this brass to load and shoot.

My experience as well (on my SDB). I think the brass is a bit thicker, causing this problem, and maybe accounting for the other comments on this thread. I discard it.

This is exactly the issue. The brass gets thick closer to the case mouth than other 9mm brass. If I load longer bullets like147s in it they won't gauge or chamber in my PM-9. Too fat near the base of the bullet. Used to keep it for plinking rounds with 115s now just chuck it.

Here's a site that gives excellent information on Brass, the Ammo companies that make it, for who(Military,Civilian etc) what countries they're in and the quality of each. Good resource for all of us that re-load www.headstampfinebrass.com

Edited by nelly

• 5 years later...
On 6/11/2014 at 2:18 PM, peterthefish said:

This is exactly the issue. The brass gets thick closer to the case mouth than other 9mm brass. If I load longer bullets like147s in it they won't gauge or chamber in my PM-9. Too fat near the base of the bullet. Used to keep it for plinking rounds with 115s now just chuck it.

I just had an issue with the Magtech 9mm.  Had terrible FTF issues in my S & W mod. 59.  Cartridge would go halfway up the feed ramp and stop dead.  Couldn’t even force it in by “bumping” the slide!  Had the feed ramp repolished by my gunsmith, and all other ammo I feed it works fine.  When I took it back to my gunsmith, he examined MY magtech ammo, compared to some he had in back, and mine apparently wasn’t crimped properly where the bullet meets the case.  You could even see it with the naked eye.  I’ll stay away from this ammunition in the future.  It’s also filthy to clean up, soot all over the gun.  Stay away!