Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a decent trigger for Back up gun

Hey guys, I have a prize table DPMS 308 [old style] with the factory GI trigger in it. I have decided to set this up as a combination backup rifle, so I ought to put a better trigger in it, but I don't really want to spend a ton of cash on the best of the best for *this* rifle. Anyone have a suggestion on a decent, mid-range trigger group I could put in here?

+1 on the CMC. I've been happy with mine so far. Got about 1000 rds on it, so far, so good. The first one I bought malfunctioned right out of the box. I called CMC and had a new one in my hands 2 days later, shipped the bad one back on their dime with supplied return shipping label. That second one has been great and I'm confident that they stand behind their product. Plus they are a big 3gun supporter.

I only have experience with two aftermarket AR triggers and would not hesitate to recommend either one.

My first is CMC. I've had it for several years and it has never failed me.

The second is Hyperfire. Mine is the 24-C. An excellent trigger. I've only put around 1200 rd through a gun outfitted with this trigger. On the lightest setting, its flawless.

Bill

I've tried a lot of triggers (AR Gold, Wilson, JP, Geissele) and I think the CMC is almost as good, as good, or better than any of them at a cost of $100+ less. The value of a CMC is unbeatable.

CMC's are nice, I have one, but it just doesn't compare to a Hypertouch 24C... Ditch the little red trigger shoe and keep the tip of your finger at the base, its like OMG short and fast.

I hear a lot of praise over factory or Benny Hill installed JP triggers, but haven't had a chance to use one.

I have to say I've been pretty impressed with the Geissele 3-Gun trigger. Its not as short or light, but has a little more positive reset, which you can kinda "ride" or "float" when you finger gets used to it.

I'm looking at prices and the CMC does not seem to be a value mid-range trigger. I would suggest a Rock River Arms NM two stage trigger. It is below $100 and is a nice trigger. If you want to go super cheap throw in a JP yellow spring kit in your GI trigger set and see if you like it. They are about 10 bucks and you may like the results. I also see that the Jard trigger seems to be a decent price but I have no experience with them. Browse the classifieds/gun whore section I just went to the 3 gun nation regionals in vegas and they gave away a ton of the hiperfire triggers you can probably find a few for sale at a decent price.

Has anyone tried a Hard chrome, or Nickel boron Hammer with a standard Trigger. its got to be a smoother surface. I was thinking of trying this for a lighter trigger pull break, and quicker lock time.

Has anyone tried a Hard chrome, or Nickel boron Hammer with a standard Trigger. its got to be a smoother surface. I was thinking of trying this for a lighter trigger pull break, and quicker lock time.

How would a surface coating improve lock time? Also, I've tried the ALG ACT which is NiB coated and was not impressed. I can understand the heavier pull weight but the trigger itself wasn't very smooth.

I'm looking at prices and the CMC does not seem to be a value mid-range trigger. I would suggest a Rock River Arms NM two stage trigger. It is below $100 and is a nice trigger. If you want to go super cheap throw in a JP yellow spring kit in your GI trigger set and see if you like it. They are about 10 bucks and you may like the results. I also see that the Jard trigger seems to be a decent price but I have no experience with them. Browse the classifieds/gun whore section I just went to the 3 gun nation regionals in vegas and they gave away a ton of the hiperfire triggers you can probably find a few for sale at a decent price.

RRA NM is ok especially when you compare them to how the Geisseles are priced. But the CMC is worth the extra $50, especially if you're looking for a 3-gun use trigger for a back up gun. If you really want to just save your money, you could probably just go with a trigger like the following which is sold as part of a parts kit: alphalowercompkit.jpg

They sell it without the stock kit and you may even be able to just buy the fire control. As you can see it comes with a lightened hammer which you could give a minor polish job and possibly use JP light springs.

Building a back up trigger from parts I already have laying around might work; differently less expensive. To me any smoother surface would improve the friction between each part allowing the trigger parts to move faster across each other and that might improve the trigger pull weight ? add a set of JP spring you (might) have what your look for. (Lock time to me) would be the time it takes the trigger hammer to strike the bolt and reset smoother surface faster lock time. :huh:

Factory trigger. Add a grip screw that removes pretravel and a set of jp springs. Then take a cutting wheel and cut the hammer hook off to make it a speed hammer and your out like 25 bucks

For a back up gun you don't want to spend a bunch of money on....this is close to what I do

$0.39 for the set-screw and $10.99 for the JP springs makes for one slick trigger for less than $12. Worth mentioning that you'll also need to fit the disconnector and safety, so you need to know what you're doing, but it ain't rocket science.

I've got this same set-up in my back up gun now and it breaks at just over 3lb. If it didn't have more over-travel than my JP, I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference.

I'd like to learn more about the benefits of cutting the hook off the back of a Mil-Spec trigger I understand that JP sells a (speed hammer) but is there noticeable difference in the trigger after doing this ?

The cutting of the hook does the same thing as the JP speed hammer and it takes a couple min to cut. What it does is make the hammer lighter which means it is moving faster so it makes the trigger reliable with the jp light springs as there isn't always enough oomph to get the heavier hammer moving to set off hard rifle

Primers especially on some factory ammo

How much did you cut off your Mil-Spec trigger hammer. Looking at the pictures of JP speed hammer the hook is completely gone. bagdrag picture of a lower parts kit (a few post up) shows some hook left. Which is correct?