Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber optic color for indoor

SRT Driver

Red really stands out for outdoor shooting.

I have heard that the eye picks up green better in low light, indoor etc. Night vision images are green etc.

Now that the indoor season is starting, I switched over to a green insert but it seems the red was brighter. The green "flashes" slightly during transitions, which is good but it is not as bright.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Or is it my eyes?

RB hates the green, says it glows like a halo in bright lights.

I LOVE the green, cause I'm an open shooter and the red was just too much like my dot, and not, they don't work the same!!!!

Another friend of mine also swears by green - but for the reason you mentioned - they pick up better in low light.

So guess what all that means? There's no right answer! You will, unfortunately, need to go use both, in both conditions and then decide which one worked best for YOU!

Good luck :P

I've been going back and forth between the two colors. Mainly because of availability at the time. When the red goes in, I always find it brighter and it draws my attention to the sight quicker. The guy that I shot with last week ditched the FO all together. Try them all and pick what you like the most and stick with it.

Pierruiggi,

Big help with Type 2. I can pick up the sight more quickly during transitions. During transitions, I see the fiber glow when I am looking at the target and then the front sight comes into vision more quickly. More correctly, it seems like the gun floats to where I am looking. Not perfect all of the time, as corrections are necessary, but more often.

Type 1 I don't look for sights but the Fiber glow is nice..I do see that. Adds some confirmation.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. I'll leave green on for a while.

Get the range to put up decent lighting and you won't need a fiber at all. Just shot at a brand-new range that actually has its act together. I had crisp sight pictures every time I pulled the trigger.

• 3 months later...

I like green indoor and out. I just put a red Brazos Custom on a rebuilt .45. Guess I will see how well the red works. I have only shot one match indoors and the lighting was so bad that any fiber sight wasn't much help. TXAG

Green. The human eye can discern between more shades of green than any other color. This is why night vision is green. I like the green because my brain is already overloaded with other junk, so I want to use the easiest color for it to see on my front sight.

• 2 weeks later...