Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most poplular long range MGM targets?

which MGM targets (self resetting spring loaded) would you see the most of at a match around 200-300 yards for rifle?

I'm guessing it's the auto popper colt or auto popper standard shape....does that sound right?

thanks,

riggs

I can't remember seeing any MGM spring loaded targets past 200 yards, they are generally used up to about 150 yards. Very hard to call them at distance because they can spring back up pretty quickly. I think those targets were designed as a practice target not really for matches. 200 and past you will see the MGM flash targets: http://mgmtargets.com/rifle-targets/flash-target?cPath=6& or R&R self setters: http://randrtargets.com/site/products-page/reactive-targets/8-self-setter/. Both those targets are about the same price and indicate when hit with an orange flash card which makes it easier to call hits.

Doug

The skinny auto-poppers can be fun for practice from 100 to 200, but a tad small for matches, both in hitting and seeing the hits. I like, and use the MG Colt autos (8" round) out to about 200 yards. Beyond that, there are some choices. As a MD, I prefer the MetalMans or a static gong with strobes past 300 yards. If it is not going to be a LaRue or a falling plate, those two provide the best feedback. As a competitor, I do prefer a plate that goes bye-bye like a LaRue or the new Action Target. Those are just hard to squeeze into some budgets.

yeah I'm trying to keep it within budget...and since i'll be placing targets from 100 to 300 yards at my place I figured not having to reset would be the best way to do it. and since most of the time i'll be by myself I figured it would be rather easy to hear the hits on target. I have a few 15" round plates at 300 yards and I can hear them just fine if I'm shooting my myself.

i'll take a look at some of the targets you guys mentioned though...I appreciate the help. I still would love to have some targets at distance that i'll be seeing at the actual comps.

RM3G and Noveske matches use a lot of MetalMans from 100 on out to about 450. But if that is the goal, I would look at what the actual matches you plan to shoot use. FNH used some MGM colt speed and the MGM flash targets for instance.

MGM has a new hanging target. Basically rebar for the legs and cross piece. The kit has the hanging target and the joint pieces for the legs. Really economical price wise. Might be the ticket, especially if you're looking for a practice target.

I have a few hanging targets at 300 that are great....always easy to head the "ding" !

I was thinking it would be nice to have some smaller more portable targets for changing things up...I'm really liking those auto poppers. both styles would be perfect I think!

I just picked up some MGM Steel Challenge targets to practice for 3GN. 10" rounds. I can adjust the 2x4s to mirror the arrays 3GN uses and don't have to go down range to reset all the time. I can also use them at distance for normal 3 gun practice as well. Pretty darn affordable as well.

Check out Spectre Targets: http://spectretargets.com/

They have great pricing and are wonderful to do business with... very reliable company! Spectre Targets provides steel for Tarheel 3-Gun, Tarheel 3-Gun uses and abuses their steel at 18+ matches per year (with regularly 100+ shooters per match).

Link to their "flash gong" steel: http://spectretargets.com/gongs.html ...at $239.99, you're getting a durable target at low cost.

Edited by Hippocampus

i think we were shooting the spectre flash gong targets at the shoot house shoot out last weekend....and if so...they were awesome! so easy to see if there was a hit. plus..8" gongs at 250-300 yards while breathing heavy and shooting kneeling was tough!

Ive got a bunch of Spectre Flash Gongs. They are easy to see hits on out to 300+ and have held up well to a years worth of matches. I cant say that about targets we have from other manufacturers. Tracy and Daniel are top notch guys and give excellent customer service.

We had a Barret .50 as a stage gun a couple of months ago. We shot one of their 18 x 24 Steel Challenge plates with ball ammo at about 175 yds. 50+ rounds with minimal damage. I believe the picture of the target is on their web site.

• 4 months later...

the Larues are great but you don't see to may of them. the MGM 10" flasher works well when set right I don't want to be able to see the orange flasher from the static sometimes you can and it can make things confusing when the shooting starts.

the Larues are great but you don't see to may of them. the MGM 10" flasher works well when set right I don't want to be able to see the orange flasher from the static sometimes you can and it can make things confusing when the shooting starts.

I've seen too many LaRues, personally. My local matches use a gong mounted on a piece of orange fire hose, which is the best long range target I've ever seen. The Spectre swing gong sounds pretty good.

• 3 weeks later...

The target I posted above I think is one the best that MGM has for short ranges because a hit in the round gets a positive flash, a hit on the surface gets a thud sound, and they are affordable. Personally I like for all steel to fall and the MGM long-range hydraulic targets are pretty damn cool - if you can afford them. I do not like swingers or any type of target with a flash card because an edger will sound off with light bullets but without a good set of eyes by the RO or a positive card flash the shooter has to stay engaged.

Austin and Dewberry are spot on.....the LaRue targets are probably great for larger calibers at sniper comps and for practice, but with lots of people shooting them and using various ammo weights and speeds, they need to be recalibrated way too often.

I personally like a long range target with a well-maintained flash card or hung from conveyor strap/fire hose that reacts violently when hit.

R&R Targets has a target called a "self setter" that was used these past two years at the NW Challenge. Two thumbs up on this target. A para-cord is used to reset it and I don't think there is a limitation on the distance out. The target sticks up behind a splash plate and falls when hit. 55's will take it down all day long.