Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do any of you build your own rifles? If so, ...

bigarm

help me build my next rifle. This will be a somewhat long term project, at least a few months to a year or more. My wife and I are just starting in 3 gun. We are using rifles we already have. I want to build one (at least I think I would like to builld it myself for the fun of it, but I am no gunsmith) specifically for 3 gun use and I want you to help me decide on the components. There are only a few things I think I know I want and will list them here. I plan on buying parts a few at a time, to afford it and so my wife doesn't get too upset.

18" barrel, probably stainless and fluted, but the brand is up in the air

Geissele SSA-E trigger

12-15" free float hand guard, preferably light, maybe key mod

6 position adjustable stock, black in color (I like the magpul CTR, maybe upgrade to ACS?)

1x4 or 1x6 scope, true 1x (Vortex PST or MTAC or ?)

Rainier Arms Raptor or BCM Large Gunfighter charging handle

Good bolt carrier group (have no idea on these)

Good compensator/muzzle brake

So give me your suggestions on the above and everything else I will need such as lower receiver, lower parts kit and everything else I left out, plus the must need tools to pull this off.

JP low mass BCG is the tits. Their silent captured buffer spring is nice as well. As far as receivers, get a blemished one or a cheap one. They are all about the same. Palmetto usually sells lowers with a lpk at a decent price.

Copes has Anderson mfg blem lowers for $42. I'd look for a LPK without a trigger since you will want something other than mil spec there.

Agree with the poster above about JP lo mass parts.

Nordic, Wilson combat and JP barrels have good reputations.

Why a collapsible stock? I have one and overall it's more trouble than its worth for a game gun. I'm going to swap it out at some point.

I have a vortex PST and it is decent glass for the cost.

Overall building an AR isn't hard. Lots of videos on YouTube that will walk you through it. I have little to no mechanical aptitude and mine came out fine and problem free.

Edited by fishsticks

Stock stability should be the main concern, then comfort. I've never heard anyone say great things about the CTR for a competition rifle.

Fixed stock like the Magpul MOE Rifle stock is good.

Adjustable stock, my preference is for the Vltor Emod. The one I used on a friend's rifle was very nice. A small amount nicer than my Magpul ACS. Either would be good, but do you really need an adjustable stock on a competition rifle? Depends on the matches and shooting positions.

JP Low Mass Carrier is a consensus favorite. I use one along with their bolt. That is just an option, not a "must have". The BCG is the must have.

I enjoy the JP captured spring, also.

Your expected maximum distance for rifle shots can help keep the scope costs in line with need.

Barrels: Nordic, Criterion, JP. I've owned the first two and JP has an exceptional reputation in the sport.

For Keymod free float, you might consider the aluminum-magnesium alloy KMR models from Bravo Company. I haven't used one yet myself, but I think they fit nicely with many needs. I'[m not always worried about what company actively supports 3-gun. It's certainly nice when they do, but for Keymod rails, I think they have broader appeal and happen to be helpful for our sport, also. The Bravo Company models are very light (comparable to carbon fiber) without the concerns of carbon fiber components with cut outs weakening the structure (like the one I have). The 15" model will be out in a while; maybe summer? But, if you don't put much on the rail for your use (but I'm in Open), then perhaps something like the Carbon Arms tube would be a good fit.

Thanks for the replies so far. As to the collapsible stock - my wife may also want to use it and she has a shorter reach. Also we live in Montana. On Sunday our 3 gun match started at 32 degrees. It did warm up nicely though. But the week before it was 28 and cold the entire match. I do take off my coat when it's my turn to shoot, but I can picture a time when the coat might be needed. I will check on blem lowers and JP lo mass. Keep the suggestions coming.

I like to round out the low mass bcg and buffer system with a good adjustable gas block and compensator. I've tried syrac gas blocks and they work very well but both syrac gas block set screws have seized up on me over time so I switched to seekins.

An adjustable gas block allows you to tune your rifle to the load you are using.

A good comp also helps keep your rifle flat. I really like the SJC Titan and the seekins comp.

Enjoy.

SLR Sentry 7 is a very nice adjustable low profile gas block. A bit expensive but comes with a lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

I just put a Seekins SP3R 15" Forend and Seekins ATC comp on mine and am very happy with the results. The SP3R given you a nice flat bottom to rest on barricades and the comp is very efficient without being as loud as the Miculek which holds the title of best value. Otherwise I have an 18" Nordic barrel, JP low mass BCG, JP silent capture spring, JP speed hammer, JP trigger, JP oversized anti walk pins, and JP tensioner in place of a rear takedown pin. Magpul MOE rifle stock, trigger guard, and Magpul MAD grip. Might switch out the grip for an ergo grip.

Lower is from my old A2 bushmaster and the upper is an STI A3.

help me build my next rifle. This will be a somewhat long term project, at least a few months to a year or more. My wife and I are just starting in 3 gun. We are using rifles we already have. I want to build one (at least I think I would like to builld it myself for the fun of it, but I am no gunsmith) specifically for 3 gun use and I want you to help me decide on the components. There are only a few things I think I know I want and will list them here. I plan on buying parts a few at a time, to afford it and so my wife doesn't get too upset.

Geissele SSA-E trigger

6 position adjustable stock, black in color (I like the magpul CTR, maybe upgrade to ACS?)

So give me your suggestions on the above and everything else I will need such as lower receiver, lower parts kit and everything else I left out, plus the must need tools to pull this off.

I started with building my own lowers and then moved to doing the uppers too. This is my favorite build right now.

Nordicbuild_zpsdde4adb0.jpg

1. Barrel get the 18 inch Nordic. Get a JP low mass carrier and buffer.

2. The Geissele SSE is a good trigger and I use it on my duty and precision guns but I prefer a single stage JP for my three gun rifle.

3. For price and function its hard to beat the AP customs carbon fiber forend. Light weight and affordable.

4. I prefer fixed stocks. Carbine stocks work fine but they have more wiggle than I would like when shooting long range.

5. Best scope on the money when you mix performance and value is the Vortex 1-6 Razor 2.

6. Charging handle is not that big of a deal. Get one you like. I use the BCM medium one.

7. The SJC titan brake is my favorite.

Geissele SSA-E trigger

if I were to do a new build right now (more like if I had the money to do a build right now) it would be:

-criterion hybrid contour barrel 20" (or 18" if you please

-AR gold trigger or JP trigger for budget

-there are so many good handguard options but some that I have been interested include the lancer carbon ones, the carbon arms ones, the seekins sp3r and mcsr, and the bcm kmr

-for stock I would probably get an ace skeleton stock or a vltor club foot rifle buffer tube stock

-vortex 1-6x HD would be my choice for scope

-bcm medium latch charging handle

-psa bcg and a spare bolt. this will be like $150 or less whereas bcg's with the same specs from like dd or bcm will be close to $200 alone.

-miculek brake, sjc titan, or maybe the seekins brake. I like the miculek brake but the grass is always greener, right

also as for the moe rifle stock, it isn't bad but the cheekweld is not the greatest. amazing storage capacity which is basically useless for a competition gun, but it is very well made and very reasonably priced

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

Geissele SSA-E trigger

if I were to do a new build right now (more like if I had the money to do a build right now) it would be:

-criterion hybrid contour barrel 20" (or 18" if you please

-AR gold trigger or JP trigger for budget

-there are so many good handguard options but some that I have been interested include the lancer carbon ones, the carbon arms ones, the seekins sp3r and mcsr, and the bcm kmr

-for stock I would probably get an ace skeleton stock or a vltor club foot rifle buffer tube stock

-vortex 1-6x HD would be my choice for scope

-bcm medium latch charging handle

-psa bcg and a spare bolt. this will be like $150 or less whereas bcg's with the same specs from like dd or bcm will be close to $200 alone.

-miculek brake, sjc titan, or maybe the seekins brake. I like the miculek brake but the grass is always greener, right

also as for the moe rifle stock, it isn't bad but the cheekweld is not the greatest. amazing storage capacity which is basically useless for a competition gun, but it is very well made and very reasonably priced

To each his own I love the MOE's cheek weld.

Pat

Geissele SSA-E trigger

Don't decide on any of this now - shoot more matches with your current kit, and take every chance you get to try other peoples stuff. Depending on your current rifle configuration, you may be better off putting the $$$ into a better shotgun or pistol, or other accessories (ammo carriers etc.).

If you do decide to start building a new rifle, plan your purchases carefully to place fewer, larger orders so as to minimize your shipping costs... piecemeal builds often end up costing a lot more over time because of these non value added costs.

Looking at your specific list, I suggest you get less hung up on specific brands, and focus more on critical characteristics - do you want a heavier barrel or a lighter one, longer handguard or shorter, adjustable or fixed stock etc. You won't be able to make an informed choice on any of these questions until YOU try different rifles... nobody on this forum can do this for you. Also, tacticool features like keymod will likely just add cost for no additional 3-Gun functionality... there are usually better ways to spend your cash.

I won't make any specific suggestions but echo you should try as many different rifles as you can. You may also want to tailor the rifle to the matches you plan to shoot.

I wouldnt rule out a 16" barrel especially if weight of the gun is a consideration for your wife.

I like Geissele triggers but triggers are personal. Try before you buy.

I own 2 13" BCM KMR's very nice rail but there are many good options.

Traded my ACS for an STR. Much preferred the smaller and lighter STR.

Hated the Vortex PST 1-4 reticle. Awful for 3-Gun for me.

BCM gunfigther and Rainer Raptor are both excellent. I prefer the Raptor.

why not just upgrade the one you have as you get the parts you like? Then you don't have to be staring at a sexy barrel on the shelf for a year wishing you could shoot it. It's what I did, and the only original part are the take down detents. the rest has been swapped.

Try everything you get a chance to put your hands on. 3 gunners love to show off their toys more than should be acceptable, even letting you put some rounds through it. Make sure it's something your wife can handle, you can make it work from there. I like collapsable stocks, and actually run a UBR. It's heavy, but that weight close in makes the rifle balance better for me. It also lets you adjust as needed to clothes or a weird shooting position.

triggers are very subjective. If you line them all up and click one by one, you can tell a difference. But if it's your trigger with the timer going off? I seriously doubt you could tell me which brand it was.

ARs are barbie for men. Easy to switch parts, dress up, change around. if you have a few hand tools and a buddy with a vice you can do damn near anything to them. Oh yeah and money! accessories add up! My barrel (jp with comp) cost as much as my first whole rifle.

splurge on parts that make the bullet go where you want it to. Barrel, trigger, glass, mount. the rest is BS personal preference. Get the cheapest FF tube you want or a special super secret custom whatever the rage is. As long as it's comfortable to you and doesn't touch the barrel, who cares?

Spend the money on ammo, know your dopes, kick some ass, get chicks.

Pat

I don't think it is bad, just not as good as a sopmod or even acs to me

Isn't the SOPMOD's superior cheekweld practically useless once you extend it and use a nose to charging handle mount? If we're talking best cheekweld, the Mags-EFX and the Lancer CF Buttstock are pretty much unbeatable. I think the MOE is a good compromise between bulk and cheekweld.

Edited by bagdrag

One thing to think about if you play in the cold- Look at lowers with big mag wells like the Noveske or Seekins. I know the Beta drums are not compatible so you can't use the big 100s, but when you can't feel your fingers it's nice to just throw your mag at the opening and have it go in. Also, if you have facial hair be aware that most collapsible stocks will remove it with gusto if you roll the stock between offset irons and a scope. TAPE THE JOINT!!!!!!!!!!! Easy enough to peel off when your wife uses it (I haven't met her, but I assume she doesn't have facial hair) :)

Go with mid-length or (even better) rifle length gas with your 18", and you will get the most out of your JP lo-mass carrier. Adj gas block will help you tune to the lowest recoil impulse. I agree to spend the most money on the performance parts (BCG and Barrel, optics) first. Chances are you will adapt the rest multiple times as you try new stuff anyhow. BE CAREFUL with light, long, keymod tubes, esp if you use irons. Many are quite flexible, and some will even flex enough to contact your gas block. A 15" NSR will move your front sight 3-4 MOA just from shooting off a bipod vs offhand.

Edited by openclassterror

Pat

I don't think it is bad, just not as good as a sopmod or even acs to me

Isn't the SOPMOD's superior cheekweld practically useless once you extend it and use a nose to charging handle mount? If we're talking best cheekweld, the Mags-EFX and the Lancer CF Buttstock are pretty much unbeatable. I think the MOE is a good compromise between bulk and cheekweld.

I do not like collapsibles but I listed those because they are what come to mind for me as comfortable. I am not sure what you mean by nose to charging handle mount though, did you just mean shooting with the nose to charging handle position?

the stock I would like to buy next would be the vltor arms rifle tube buttstock (preferrably clubfoot version) since it is supposed to have similar cheekweld to the sopmod but is for rifle buffer tubes

I would not mind the lancer CF stock either but I haven't seen them in stock for sale anywhere

Geissele SSA-E trigger

Here's what I went with on a new build.

Nordic barrel but they are not fluted.

RRA 2 stage match trigger probably switch out to Geissle 3gun

Midwest Industries Gen2 handguard.

Ace Socom stock (don't like adj. stock)

Ranier upper & bcg with Raptor CH.

SJC titan comp.

Burris E1 2x7 glass

Building your own rifle is 1/2 the fun in my opinion!