Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idiot Scratch

GregInAtl

I have a a stainless Colt XSE Government model. I let a friend do a trigger job on it and now it has an idiot scratch on the frame. The obvious answer would be tell my friend to fix it, but he did me a favor with the trigger job (plus some other work he did for it, shoots great btw). I would feel kind of bad asking him to fix the scratch since he did me a favor, so I would rather try to fix it myself.

Can the idiot scratch be buffed out, It's a pretty light scratch.

You're really lucky it's stainless. You can buff it up as fine as you want. For a brushed look, 600 or 800 wet/dry paper and oil works well. Make sure to keep the lines straight. Scotchbrite pads work too. I mirror finished the flats on the slide on my stainless Para when it was new.

Edited by bountyhunter

um, maybe I'm the one to say it. But if your friend didn't know how to put the gun back together, what makes him think he can do a safe, quality trigger job? might want to really check out the safety stuff before you start messing with it. A 45 on full auto with a stock is really fun. A run away at a match is scary as hell.

um, maybe I'm the one to say it. But if your friend didn't know how to put the gun back together, what makes him think he can do a safe, quality trigger job? might want to really check out the safety stuff before you start messing with it. A 45 on full auto with a stock is really fun. A run away at a match is scary as hell.

Kinda what I was thinking. Worth investigating anyway....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Kimber that was given to me with an idiot mark. I feel the same way about that particular scratch and that is that it screams look at me I do not know how to properly assemble my gun. I have thought of fixing it but the frame was coated a sniper gray and I do not want to pay to have it refinished.

Thanks

It's a tool. More scratches mean that I use it, the more I use it, the more that I know I can trust it. And being able to trust a gun is love. Sure, an idiot mark isn't "use", but it's still a tool. Lots of good ideas for refinishing ;)