Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FFP or SFP ?

IceCold4x4

So I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite Tactical line of scopes for 3 gun, not sure whether the 6.5 or 8.5 power yet. As far as 3 gun goes would First focal plane be better or second focal plane. I like the fact that on the 8 power scope the FFP reticle goes down to about the size of a red dot a 1 power.

What's the consensus here on FFP or SFP for 3 gun

Edited by IceCold4x4

I've been using the 1-6.5 SFP mil reticle for almost 2 years. In my opinon, the illumination is not bright enough for the FFP to be used as a red dot on 1x.

The horseshoe works well in the SFP scope for close range targets.

If you've a field of targets at varying distances, FFP is excellent. No matter what power you are on, your reticle is always correct. It makes correcting missed much easier, assuming you're spotting your misses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite Tactical line of scopes for 3 gun, not sure whether the 6.5 or 8.5 power yet. As far as 3 gun goes would First focal plane be better or second focal plane. I like the fact that on the 8 power scope the FFP reticle goes down to about the size of a red dot a 1 power.

I've been using the Elite 1-6.5, BTR-2 in FFP since January and love it. I went with the FFP on the BTR-2 because it's a mil reticle and I want the subtensions to be correct at whatever magnification I'm on. I don't always use the scope on 1x or 6.5x. Yes, the illuminated horseshoe is a little small at 1x but I haven't noticed that to be an issue. The eye relief on the scope and the brightest illumination setting make it easy for me to put on target.

I did look through an 8x once and honestly don't think that the extra magnification is worth the trade off in eyebox relief / field of view. The 6.5x has been good enough for me to shoot a 10" plate at 500 yards and a IPSC at 600 yards so I'm good with that.

I've been using the Elite 1-6.5, BTR-2 in FFP since January and love it. I went with the FFP on the BTR-2 because it's a mil reticle and I want the subtensions to be correct at whatever magnification I'm on. I don't always use the scope on 1x or 6.5x. Yes, the illuminated horseshoe is a little small at 1x but I haven't noticed that to be an issue. The eye relief on the scope and the brightest illumination setting make it easy for me to put on target.

I did look through an 8x once and honestly don't think that the extra magnification is worth the trade off in eyebox relief / field of view. The 6.5x has been good enough for me to shoot a 10" plate at 500 yards and a IPSC at 600 yards so I'm good with that.

hows the illumination on the 6.5 ? bright enough to be used during a bright day or no? I can't seem to get a straight answer on it by looking at reviews.

I went through this same decision tree a few months ago. I wanted to replace a Nikon M223 on my 3-gun AR.

I have an FFP 5-20 mil dot on one of my rifles, used for medium to long range - it is perfect, for me, for long range, unknown distance shots where time is less of factor than it is in 3 gun. I went in thinking FFP scopes are the best thing since sliced bread.

So, I started out looking at FFP scopes. I found most to be too busy for 3-gun, and the horseshoe too wide for the quick shot.

And, most FFP scopes seemed to try to meet the needs of every shooting situation.

Long story short, I decided on an purpose built SFP, 1-6, with a simple red dot and simple BDC marks up to 600 yards. For close in, the red dot is perfect. 300+y on 6x, the BDC works great. from 100 to 300 on 2-5x, I have found that the subtensions are plenty close enough for the 3 or 4 MOA targets that I see at most matches. Most of the time, I am on 1x (red Dot) or 6X anyway.

FWIW, the scope I picked was the Vortex HD GENII with the JM reticle.

I used the swfa ss 1-4 donut FFP scope for a while and never had an issue with it. I forgot to turn the magnification up all the way on a few different occasions at longer range.

I recently bought the primary 1-6 SFP. My only concern is I might shoot out past 400 and forget to turn the magnification up, and the drop lines would be off.

I prefer FFP. The reticle is not busy on my MK 8 while on 1x. It's really up to you. It took me some time on the range to fully appreciate FFP.

FFP is great on higher power scopes but next to useless on 1-3x. Most of the time FFP reticles are too small to use the hold overs while on lower power. I love FFP on my precision rifles but prefer 2nd focal plane for three gun scopes.

Pat

Pat has the exact answer here!! At lower powers the " ranging" is useless all the way up to 4x. Might as well have a reticle you can see! SFP for me!!!!

Edited by kurtm

If it was a higher powered scope for my long range comp rifles I am all about FFP but for my lower power 3 gun scope, a Vortex 1-6x, I really like the SFP. Makes the reticle easier to see. Reticle design is important. Like Alaska if I am at a point I need to use hold overs then I am on 6x anyways as inside 200 yards i am either a couple inches high or low hold on the plate or paper.

Here's some pics of the Vortex JM-1 reticle. Neighbors window is about 75-80 yards away and the pole is 10 yards. As a public service announcment I suck at through the scope pics so don;t hold any of the distortion on the scope. In person the scope is very clear edge to edge on all powers.

1x

DSCN2069_zps32a96c03.jpg

6x

DSCN2068_zpse2d1197a.jpg

1x

DSCN2070_zps995ddf8a.jpg