Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Open

kneelingatlas

Hi Greg,

I certainly can't dispute your experience and I totally agree with the eric G comment. I understand he actually has a mechanic/gunsmith that tours with him to major matches just to keep his gear 100%. plus his guns have a few visible 'custom' touches which may lead people to wonder what they are like under the skin? hand fitted slide/frame and barrel/slide no doubt....

My eric custom is of a new generation (and it's in 38 super), made in 2012 of the current - eric custom 2010- model. It shoots very decent groups out to 25, but I'll try it further soon. I can certainly understand why yours shot like a scatter gun if the lockup was rubbish from the factory. and I'd certainly agree that tanfoglio are perhaps not exactly world renowned for quality control.

Thanks for sharing so many cool pics. :) you'r old 9X21 tanfogs with the aimpoints and gunsmith fit triggers etc would have been the dogs dangleys at the time! they still look super cool.

I'm glad you enjoy the CZ. I love mine too (I have a couple each of CZ's and tanfogs). each have their strong points and their weak points too if we're honest....

DVC my friend!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just for anyone following my progress here: One additional change has been made to each of my CZ Czechmates -- I had to change the recoil spring in each pistol to 10 LB's. The original recoil spring that was in each pistol was 13 LB's -- After testing and careful examination of failures to eject I determined that the CZ pistols, both of them, needed a weaker recoil spring. Wa-lah, fully reliable and functional pistols where the result.

Side note: When shooting the 124 grain bullets at Major velocities, the 13 LB spring, for me anyway, needed a coil and a-half trimmed for good functioning.

Greg T

• 7 months later...

If you look closely at the above compared to my first effort below you'll notice the first wore an SP01 slide and the second is a 75SA slide. The OD of the barrel used in the 75SA pistols is 12.75mm, whereas the OD of the SP01 barrel is 14mm, just like the Czechmate, TS and Shadow, so the bushings are a different size as well. The Czechmate slide is a TS slide with roughly a half inch cut off, including the bushing, so the CM employs a cone comp to lock up the barrel and slide. I found the SP01 slide has slightly too big with the bushing removed, so I changed to a 75SA slide which was slightly too small with the bushing removed and opened it up to a prefect fit with the CM cone. The barrel used is a TS barrel cut down to length (the 75SA slide is slightly shorter than the CM slide).

On 4/30/2014 at 11:28 PM, kneelingatlas said:

Ready for the range tomorrow!
11034435_1012111642137101_824500493257299554_o.thumb.jpg.7712ea53d6a4391152c6fe1bf496424c.jpg

Edited by kneelingatlas

Tricky? Nah! ;)

I wrapped sand paper from 150 to 1000 around a 1/2" wooden dowel, chucked it up in my drill press and ever so slowly removed metal until the cone fit snug, then I polished with 2500 grit sandpaper until it would spin smoothly.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I just picked up a P-09 and "Boy Howdy" am I impressed so far. Saw that they have a 5.3" suppressor barrel for the pistol and as soon as I find one in stock I am going to pick one up. Or I might just purchase a Suppressor ready pistol for a second gun. Throw a red dot and a comp on it and I think it would make a fine starter open gun in SA mode, shooting 9 Major, with a slide mounted optic or a modified SJC or Carver mount for a Glock.

Here's my pair of Czechmates - both with Cheely horizontal c-more mount; one stock and with one with Mink trigger job/metal trigger/concealed hammer.

post-48463-0-93749700-1426178061_thumb.j

Edited by trgt

On 3/11/2015 at 8:20 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I made some mods to my Czechmate comp on my 75SA, but I still plan to open up the fourth port some more :devil:

How do you like the latest version of your custom Open CZ? Can you tell a difference with the reprofiled CM comp? It looks great!

Edited by kneelingatlas

• 1 month later...

Pretty much junk compared to some of the guns in this thread, but I love my SP01. Its my open gun for 3 gun. I started out shooting tac optics, and then I wanted to try my hand at open. I liked my SP01 so much I made an open gun out of it. its been running like a champ for 6yrs.

20150418_185126_RichtoneHDR_zpsznoasbha.

20150418_185112_RichtoneHDR_zpstutqtnn1.

Edited by CareyH

I know what you mean about loving the sp01. I have the tactical in 40 because I wanted the de cocker. I would like a de cocker czechmate. Contemplating building something comparable if possible.

I know what you mean about loving the sp01. I have the tactical in 40 because I wanted the de cocker. I would like a de cocker czechmate. Contemplating building something comparable if possible.

why would you want a decocker on a single action only pistol?

Cool Carey, what load do you use?

The load I have been using for many years was 3.6gr of hodgdon Clays over a 124gr xtreme bullet. I only have about 1500rds left with that load and since Clays is pretty much unobtninium...... I am working on a different load. Right now I am trying Titegroup, its snappier than the clays but pretty accurate.