WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a couple of new powders being brought in from Europe, one is a titegroup clone & the other is a Universal clone. Factory told us to use "exactly" Hodgdon titegroup load data, tested the titegroup clone 9mm 147gr 4in barrel and got +30 fps over the hodgdon load data, the Universal clone we settled @ 3.2gr with a 147gr in a 4 inch 9mm and got +40 fps over Hodgdons load data, ZERO pressure signs burned clean, mild report/recoil.

Can you give us a little more info? What are they being called?, Who is making them? Where did you purchase them? How much did you pay?

Scarce goods must be rationed. Either by price (ie those who can afford high prices win) or time value (ie those who have the free time to click refresh on Gunbot all day win). Neither is intrinsically more fair than the other. Both have their merits.

All goods are scarce, some just more so than others.

I just wish the retailers would be smart enough to raise prices to control the panics rather than let their shelves go bare.

Unfortunately the shooting community gets angry and vengeful instead of being happy that products are available and go where they are valued most.

I'd be happy to pay $50 a pound for pistol powder right now. And if this continues, I'd be happy to pay $100 a pound.

If you didn't watch the PowerFactor interview with Hodgdon, he basically stated that they are manufacturing at capacity in all facilities, but they have to supply the world, and they produce in lots. In addition, pistol and shotgun powder is used interchangeably for a lot of people, making it the most scarce product.

With that said, it's out there...you just have to be quick enough to grab it. PV has been sitting on some IMR 4227 for a week or two now, as of yesterday they were still showing in stock. I haven't been able to find ANY HP38/Win 231 or the other traditional pistol powders, but I did snag some Win 296 the other day, and a keg of Lil'Gun from some classifieds.

As for Varget, they had a fire in the facility and had to shut down production, probably until sometime in 2015, I think they said next summer they hope to start producing again.

Edited by polizei1

As for Varget, they had a fire in the facility and had to shut down production, probably until sometime in 2015, I think they said next summer they hope to start producing again.

I think this is clays not Varget. No issues finding Varget locally.

I just wish the retailers would be smart enough to raise prices to control the panics rather than let their shelves go bare.

Unfortunately the shooting community gets angry and vengeful instead of being happy that products are available and go where they are valued most.

You hit the nail on the head here. Most shooters (and most consumers in general) get mad with retailers when they "gouge" on pricing. I guess most folks would rather have empty shelves and need to win a lottery to get product than pay the (inevitably higher during a shortage) market price.

Of course, when retailers don't ration by price you end up with hoarders and scalpers - neither of whom help the situation other than redirecting anger.

And when they do ration by price... Well, cheaper than dirt is still fairly unloved as far as I can tell as a result.

From what I hear in the interview, Hodgdon does not produce any powder they just buy it from the producers: General Dynamics in FL, IMR in Canada. It was not clear even if the own the plant that burned in Australia....

Scarce goods must be rationed. Either by price (ie those who can afford high prices win) or time value (ie those who have the free time to click refresh on Gunbot all day win). Neither is intrinsically more fair than the other. Both have their merits.

I'd be happy to pay $50 a pound for pistol powder right now. And if this continues, I'd be happy to pay $100 a pound.

that's about ass backwards, inmo, of course. why would you be happy to pay 4 times what any product is worth. A hack dealer at the last gun show in Raleigh had 8lb jugs of autocomp for 340.00 as bad as I needed it, I told him where he could put it. the following week I found some on the shelf at a local shooting supply store for 165.00. That is who I will gladly do business with, not the butthole doubling the price.

Here's a link to the interview, it's long, but it's got a lot of really good information regarding the industry as a whole and Chris answers a lot of questions

I think this is clays not Varget. No issues finding Varget locally.

Yea my bad, I believe it was Clays, produced by ADI.

Edited by polizei1

All this nonsense has driven me to Alliant Promo. I find it and CFE Pistol locally. I am down to about 12 lbs of Clays and S1000. Promo is actually working pretty well in 9,.40 and .45 when loaded to a 130 PF. I think I paid $129 for an 8 lb jug of Promo.

The powder asked about above by Max is probably Maxam - Made in Spain on the plain - not really sure about the geographic location. :roflol:

http://www.maxamcomponents.com/en/outdoorsbrand/componentes/products/powders

A friend of mine who is a commercial loader uses it, says it's about like Unique. It's the CSB1 that he is using. I'm not sure where he gets it.

This may give some dealers in your area who may stock it.

http://www.rioammo.com/rio_ammo_dealers.html

Edited by Steve RA

that's about ass backwards, inmo, of course. why would you be happy to pay 4 times what any product is worth. A hack dealer at the last gun show in Raleigh had 8lb jugs of autocomp for 340.00 as bad as I needed it, I told him where he could put it. the following week I found some on the shelf at a local shooting supply store for 165.00. That is who I will gladly do business with, not the butthole doubling the price.

I would be happy to pay it because it's worth that to me. Who anointed you king to tell me what things are worth?

Value is subjective. If it isn't worth $100 a pound to you, and it is to me, I'd have all I was willing to buy and you'd have none. And rightfully so.

And if you didn't want any, that'd be fine, too. You'd call me a butthole, but I'd be at the range and you'd be at home shopping for non-existent powder.

After all the $$$ I scrounged to stock up on primers so that this would not happen, color me frustrated that powder is the new primers.

Thanks for posting the PowerFactor show interview with Chris Hodgdon.

It is a very good interview and directly answers a lot of questions about the current powder market.

All this nonsense has driven me to Alliant Promo. I find it and CFE Pistol locally. I am down to about 12 lbs of Clays and S1000. Promo is actually working pretty well in 9,.40 and .45 when loaded to a 130 PF. I think I paid $129 for an 8 lb jug of Promo.

12lbs of Clays according to my calculations with a 147gr bullet at 3.0gr

will make 28000 rounds

12lbs of Clays according to my calculations with a 147gr bullet at 3.0gr

will make 28000 rounds

Gee... I dunno... so many times have I divided 7000 by 7 and gotten 1000, only to see the powder hopper become empty after 700 or 800 rounds.

The number of rounds you can actually make is ruled by the same mysterious force that causes one sock of a pair to disappear.

It's what turns a perfect plan on paper into a head scratching WTF.

One day we will discover this force and learn how put it to work for the good of all.

Edited by bajadudes

Maybe you were loading more than 7 grains and weren't aware of it ??

Loading 7 grains of clay's into a 9mm and shooting it would be.....exciting to say the least.

I just scored 6lbs of clays in trade for 320 yesterday. I just don't love 320, especially in revolver.

Maybe you were loading more than 7 grains and weren't aware of it ??

Loading 7 grains of clay's into a 9mm and shooting it would be.....exciting to say the least.

Is that physically possible (without it spilling)?