Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

I called our Federal ammunition distributor for my department a few weeks ago. They said 6-10 month wait for American eagle training ammunition. If I had to guess, the only thing allowing them down from catching up on law enforcement sales is powder, which makes me think that is where the powder is going. Also, I was in crawfordville Florida the weekend of the 4th, they had a sign advertising positions available at St. MARK'S powder

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Recently got 5 pounds of 7625, and 18 pounds of TiteGroup (some for a friend) on vacation in Rock Springs Wyoming. Averaged at $25/lb.

Primers still available constantly here in Mesa AZ. But yet to even see pistol powder on the shelves in months.

-Jason

Edited by gdawgs56

I heard there is some new "restriction" that a cargo ship may only have one konex box of powder on it now. To where before it was multiple.

As far as I know this is just a rumor. 49 CFR 173 applies to domestic shipments and has not changed recently. Don't see anything out there about imports...

I heard there is some new "restriction" that a cargo ship may only have one konex box of powder on it now. To where before it was multiple.

It's a "conex" box (short for Container Express http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_container), and as I understand it, it's not rumor at all. It's an Australian restriction on outbound shipments. So US Federal Regulations (49 CFR) aren't applicable in that case.

It's a "conex" box (short for Container Express http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermodal_container), and as I understand it, it's not rumor at all. It's an Australian restriction on outbound shipments. So US Federal Regulations (49 CFR) aren't applicable in that case.

Ah. Thought it was an import not export issue.

Time to maybe have some powder manufacture capacity back in the US?

St. Marks in Florida produces Winchester 231 (Hodgon HP-38), how much of that have you seen on the shelves recently?

St. Marks in Florida produces Winchester 231 (Hodgon HP-38), how much of that have you seen on the shelves recently?

Has production actually been hindered for some reason or is this just the same as the .22LR epidemic where they were producing the same amount as before but all of us were hoarding like crazy and shooting ourselves in our own proverbial foot?

We can be our own worst enemies at times

IMG_1689.jpg

Here is the reload section at the local range/gun store in Macomb county Mich, Brown Bear. The primers are in a case opposite and they have a good number of each and assorted sizes and brands. This was taken on Wednesday afternoon.

Has production actually been hindered for some reason or is this just the same as the .22LR epidemic where they were producing the same amount as before but all of us were hoarding like crazy and shooting ourselves in our own proverbial foot?

We can be our own worst enemies at times

Production has increased and shooters are NOT the issue. Two things. OCD hoarding and POS opportunists. The former actually is a preamble of dementia. The later is just a POS clearing shelves one way or another, doubling the retail price at flea markets and selling it back to...you guessed it, the hoarder. And they will pay regardless, hoping to satisfy their compulsion. It does not and the cycle repeats. Personally I wish both parties would develope seeping boils in a bad place.

Well it is my understanding that we have been getting a lot of our powder from Australia now. If Australia has imposed a limit on shipping that powders that creates a bottle neck for us. Simple solution would be to manufacture more here, but I do know that there are constrains on that as well.

I want to point out that as a capitalist I don't only seek to make money based on supply and demand. I/we also have a moral obligation to do what I/we can for the shooting community during shortages.

Right now, I have a 70 pound keg of Winchester 231 up for sale on GB at the insane price of about $50 a pound. Split up into 4 lb jugs. I decided to part with 1 keg out of the original 19 kegs I bought a few months before the last Presidential election. I have been watching the market in powders with great interest since then and this looked like a good time to do it.

Before this, over the last year I have sold almost 1000 lbs of hard to find powders out of our operating stash at or below PV prices to fellow shooters on various gun forums who were having a hard time. 3 of those 19 drums went towards that.

Our ammunition products are quality products offered at just about Walmart prices. Affordable and accurate.

I want to keep them affordable and to do that we desperately need to upgrade equipment and processes.

Selling this one keg to the people that are willing to pay top dollar will help us do this.

Its a gamble. Because even as a small manufacturer I have never see or been able to buy another one again. I am down to my last 9 after this one sells.

I come to you for absolution from this sin.

Edited by bajadudes

Scarce goods must be rationed. Either by price (ie those who can afford high prices win) or time value (ie those who have the free time to click refresh on Gunbot all day win). Neither is intrinsically more fair than the other. Both have their merits.

Scarce goods must be rationed.

Good grief... Let's bring the word "ration" into the discussion :) Rationing sounds like the government would be involved.

If the government were involved I would need a background check and pledge that I was mentally sound before buying a pound of powder. Of course if I wanted two pounds within 7 days of each other it require and form and another fee. If my powder was too fast or too slow it would require a $200 tax stamp and 6-12 month wait.

Let's just call it the law of supply and demand :)

Scarce goods must be rationed.

Good grief... Let's bring the word "ration" into the discussion :) Rationing sounds like the government would be involved.

If the government were involved I would need a background check and pledge that I was mentally sound before buying a pound of powder. Of course if I wanted two pounds within 7 days of each other it require and form and another fee. If my powder was too fast or too slow it would require a $200 tax stamp and 6-12 month wait.

Let's just call it the law of supply and demand :)

It's an economic term used to describe methods for allocating scarce goods. Read into it what you will.

It's an economic term used to describe methods for allocating scarce goods. Read into it what you will.

No offense intended. I somewhat agree with your observations but was just having a little fun with initial statement.

After reading "Scarce goods must be rationed" I felt as though a statement saying "I'm from the government. I'm here to help." would surely follow. I think you have a winner with "allocating scarce goods".

I've heard a similar story from the guys that stood outside of our local Academy Sporting goods stores. They would get there at 3am, wait for the store to open and buy all the .22 LR ammo. As they stood on the other side of table behind their .22 ammo stash at the local gun shows, they explained to me that I was paying them to stand in line for me. I can't say they were wrong, but I personally chose to go without .22 ammo. Eventually the sporting goods stores started allocating the ammo, but it did little to avert the gun show guys who worked in packs and used advance surveillance technologies :) Meanwhile a generation of young shooters are missing out on what many of us took for granted.

Luckily I've seen these shortages before and knew to be prepared (except in the case of .22LR... who would have ever guessed). Allocation certainly helps, but it won't completely cure the issue. I'm okay with somebody monitoring Gunbot and buying for themselves and friends. The part I hate is when they hike up the price and sell their wares on Gunbroker or local gun shows.

As they stood on the other side of table behind their .22 ammo stash at the local gun shows, they explained to me that I was paying them to stand in line for me. I can't say they were wrong, but I personally chose to go without .22 ammo.

Actually they are more like those guys who "wash" your windshield at intersections by first putting lots of dirty water on them and then asking to be payed to clean it. I wouldn't pay them to stand in line (or clean my windshield) but they create the situation and force into it.

When I come to power it will be ok to run them over :)

PS: Steve from NSA, when you are reading this, I was kidding, I'm not endorsing vehicular homicide. Unless its powder scalpers, screw those guys. I kid, I kid. No, not really.

Edited by Vlad