Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost in a sea of motorcycles

This is my last year working full time. Semi-retirement and a new home away from the big city is on the calendar starting next year.

One of the things that I have wanted to do every since I owned a little Honda 125cc cycle in the early 1970's was to get back in the seat of a decent motorcycle. Now that I will have the time to spend, I am faced with the dilemma that there are so many different types and models of motorcycles that it's hard to even know where to begin.

My first step is going to be attending a state run training course that will allow me to get my motorcycle license. I looked into a couple courses run by dealers and while they may be better training in the long run, they are a heck of a lot more than the $50 the state wants. I'll leave advanced class until I know where I'm going with this.

At the age of 64 I'm not going to go out and buy a dirt bike or pocket rocket. I'm also not setting my sights on long road trips. And while I'm not poor, I am frugal so I don't want to jump into a $16K bike when something far less expensive would suit me.

That would appear to put me into the market for a cruiser. Problem is, the main market for these bikes "seems" to be the younger demographic. And from what I gather, the ride is not all that comfortable if I do want to take a 2 hr day trip somewhere.

I would appreciate hearing from any others who have been down this path recently and are familiar with the bewildering array of styles and types out there. I don't know what a bobber is or how a cruiser is different from a touring bike (outside of one being much bigger than the other). Where the heck do I start in all of this (and don't say a dealership because they are going to steer me directly to the expensive stuff. I already tried that twice.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably something in the 500cc to 750 cc class. If you like older style bikes there are a few Triumph models that are pretty comfortable. Think you may have "cruiser" class mixed up with something else as it's usually older riders, not younger who ride them.

I'd say pick up a slightly used Hayabusa, but that is mostly because I had one.

You can get a nice clean HD softtail fatboy for 8000-9500 depending on year. These are smooth easy to ride bikes. Also the push now is towards an older demographic. Kids don't have the money.

A Harley Sportster will put you in the middle of all the cruisers and sport bikes and wont break the bank. To bad your not close to me I have a perfect one that I'm thinking of trading for an open rig... :-)

Have you seen the new 3 wheel ones, I think they are made by Bombardier. Very cool.

And very expensive.

Probably something in the 500cc to 750 cc class. If you like older style bikes there are a few Triumph models that are pretty comfortable. Think you may have "cruiser" class mixed up with something else as it's usually older riders, not younger who ride them.

I don't think I have the cruiser class mixed up. Just look at the HD Iron and Street bikes as well as the cruisers from Japan, these are all low narrow bikes with short shocks. I've looked at a number of on-line reviews and the target market seems to be the 20-30 somethings.

To be honest, one of the questions I can't seem to find an answer to is this... Other than things like bags, windshields, and farings, what are the differences between a cruiser and a touring bike?

Edited by Graham Smith

Look at used BMW's they run for ever and tended to get cheap as they get older. You can get in either big touring bike or standards. I have been through the classes several times and are very worth while. check out the site for the motorcycle safety foundation for classes in your area.

A touring bike is built larger with more luggage capacity and is set for more long distance comfort. The cruising bike is similar but has more attention put to performance and more active, aggressive riding style. A Honda Goldwing is a good example of a touring bike. The first picture is a touring bike. The second is a cruiser.

post-22108-0-03207500-1395778809_thumb.p

post-22108-0-15023800-1395778820_thumb.p

A touring bike is built larger with more luggage capacity and is set for more long distance comfort.

That goes along with what I've seen but it's also often said that any bike can be made into a touring bike. I've even seen some sport touring bikes. So, there would seem to be more to it then just the cargo capacity.

Most of the true touring bikes I see are larger with bigger motors than the cruisers. But there's got to be more than that. Two words I often see linked to cruisers are street and urban. That would seem to indicate smaller more nimble more sporty.

Edited by Graham Smith

Look at used BMW's they run for ever and tended to get cheap as they get older. You can get in either big touring bike or standards. I have been through the classes several times and are very worth while. check out the site for the motorcycle safety foundation for classes in your area.

I second that for touring Beemers.

Honda ST and Yamaha FJ are both awesome touring bikes. They both have available ABS, adjustable seat and handlebar heights, heated grips, adjustable windshields, etc. Tons of storage, easy to ride for hours, and still sporty enough to enjoy the twisties. Both will run flawlessly for over 100K miles and hold their resale value but can be bought used with low miles for under $5000.

Standard cruisers, do your homework. Kawasaki had a problem with a plastic oil pump gear on their Vulcan line, Hondas are reliable. Yamaha Star line are good. Don't buy less than 1100 cc's or you'll be bored in no time and uncomfortable on the freeway. Don't buy an HD Sportster, their resale sucks. Unfortunately HD still has the least reliable bikes on the market. Plagued by leaks and electrical issues. BMW are good but expensive to fix and seem to be better suited to taller riders.

If you will be riding sporadically, and the bike might sit for a few months its imperative that you either use ethanol free fuel or learn to store your bike properly. The ST and FJ are fuel injected, and therefore easier to maintain (no carbs to clean). Bike carbs gum up in no time at all. Ethanol will attract moisture and cause corrosion in your tank and carb jets.

Finally, if you have a female passenger to consider, make sure it's comfortable for her. The touring bikes have great fully supported rear seats vs the little pads that come standard on most cruisers. Back rests are usually add on accessories. Hard bags are easier to travel with and detach easily for portability. Also more secure.

I've had over 40 bikes in the last few years so if you have any questions about a specific make or model PM me and I'd be glad to offer any opinions I may have. Finally, buy a low mileage used bike off of Craigslist. Dealers rarely do anything to their trades other than tires or brake pads and the mark-up doesn't justify their prices over the private resale market.

If you are like me and like to turn wrenches on your scooters...hit ebay for a Norton, BSA, or Triumph twin.

I loved them as a kid working in a bike shop (motorcycle shop) and they kinda keep you from pushing them too fast in the corners.

Still not getting an answer to the underlying question. I really don't know what the differences are in all these types. This is the same problem I have with everything I read online. It all assumes I know what all these terms mean. Every description contains references I don't get. I need a course in Motorcycles for Dummies.

Recommendations on brands are lost on me.

Edited by Graham Smith

Cruiser- low chassis with more rake (angle) in the forks. Feet forward riding position. Low center of gravity and low seat height. Usually a V-Twin engine. Chrome and leather. Chrome. Chrome.

Touring bike- usually a 4 cylinder metric engine with an upright riding position. Designed for comfort of both passengers and highway cruising. Usually has luggage. HD makes touring bikes that are large, heavy, and expensive.

Sport touring bike- metric engines with a more forward oriented riding position, feet straight down or back. Faster acceleration and sportier handling characteristics. Suitable for day trips and can have luggage attachments.

Bobber- no rear suspension with only springs under the seat like a bicycle. Hard on back and kidneys. Usually fabricated by amateurs in back yard garages.

Bagger- large touring cruiser with a big v-twin engine and hard luggage. HD, Indian, Victory.

Sport bike- think racing....

Cruiser- low chassis with more rake (angle) in the forks. Feet forward riding position. Low center of gravity and low .....

Thanks. That's the sort of info I'm looking for. Is a sport touring bike likely to be smaller and less expensive than a touring bike? Would the V-Star 650 Classic and 950 Custom fit into this category? These bikes would appear to be closer to what I think I may be looking for.

Cruiser- low chassis with more rake (angle) in the forks. Feet forward riding position. Low center of gravity and low .....

Thanks. That's the sort of info I'm looking for. Is a sport touring bike likely to be smaller and less expensive than a touring bike? Would the V-Star 650 Classic and 950 Custom fit into this category? These bikes would appear to be closer to what I think I may be looking for.
Those are cruisers. Sport touring would be the FJ or ST. Again, I would never recommend a new bike for a new rider. Buy something used in good condition that won't give you that sick feeling in your stomach when you drop it for the first time. It all depends on what type of riding you plan doing and whether or not it includes a passenger.

V-stars would fall in cruiser lines. Honda nighthawk would be a standard but don't think they make them new anymore.

Sport tours: Honda VFR, Yamaha fj's Ducati ST4 I had ridden VFR's for years great bikes. I ride a Ducati 900SS now. Age and lower back issues are getting the better of me so a BMW or touring bike in future. Some other good rides out there that make great everyday bikes are the V-storm from Suzuki, NC700 from Honda. If you like H-D/ Buell used Buell Ulysses are a good everyday ride.

I second buy good used one first.

Edited by TimMc

Another vote for used until you get some miles in and know what you want. I think the closest thing to standard, all around motorcycles these days are the "Adventure" bikes like the Suzuki V-Stroms and Honda NC700X and CB500X.

OK. This stuff is starting to make some sense. Some of the things that I have read are starting to drop into place.

Generally speaking, cruisers and touring bikes are similar in that you are in a more upright position but cruisers are lower with shorter frames. One thing I ran across elsewhere is the comment that when you are riding a cruiser your forward foot position results in you pulling back some on the handlebars.

Sport bikes are the things I think of as rockets and sport touring bikes are rockets with saddlebags. I've been thinking of these as the kind of bikes I see with guys almost laying on the gas tank, but now that I look at them, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. This is good in that it opens up an area I have ignored. It's bad in that I really didn't need to drag an entire segment of bikes into this.

As to new vs used, I had pretty much already settled on getting a used bike. I've read a lot of comments about starting with something in the 250cc area, and while I appreciate the reasoning, I think that something in the 500cc-750cc is more what I had in mind.

Another comment I've seen a lot has to do with weight and center of gravity - new riders do better with a low center of gravity bike. Having owned a bike, I can appreciate this. This is also probably why cruisers are attractive.

The last think I've seen mentioned has to do with gear ratio and torque. Cruisers seem to be better suited to around town, hence the reference to them as urban and/or street bikes. I haven't quite got that sorted out yet, but I basically understand it.

Go sit on the ones you are interested in, pay attention to the angle of your knees, where your feet are, and how you think your butt will feel after an hour. At our age it is all about comfort.