Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lost in a sea of motorcycles

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned, if your wife is going to ride with you (same bike) make sure she likes the rear seating position on whatever you get.

yep, rear seats on sport bikes are more babe magnets than anything resembling a rear seat LOL

Since I won't be getting a bike for a while, a lot of what I am doing now is exploratory in nature. But since I am signed up for a basic rider class in June, I need to be looking at helmets. They have some loaners but there are some relatively lower cost ones at a local dealer I can get.

Anyone who thinks that motorcycles aren't a big market just needs to look at helmets. Holy Guacamole Batman! There's gotta be a few thousand different helmets out there with prices ranging from under $50 to over $500. And all the different types and styles are almost as bad as the motor cycles themselves.

At least the seem to break down into more well defined groups. Half, Open (3/4), Full face, Modular (Flip Up), and Off Road. I have to have, at least, a 3/4 helmet for class. Even if I want a full or modular down the line, it would seem that this would be good to get for now.

Any flaw in this logic?

Edited by Graham Smith

If you have a $2 head, get a $2 helmet. I was told that many years ago....and I took it to heart.

My head is worth MUCH more than $2....

I'm wanting a new helmet as well....been looking at the modulars....some are pretty nice, but they aint cheap yet...but, I'll pay $300 for one....

Edited by GrumpyOne

If you have a $2 head, get a $2 helmet. I was told that many years ago....and I took it to heart.

I'm wanting a new helmet as well....been looking at the modulars....some are pretty nice, but they aint cheap yet...but, I'll pay $300 for one....

whatever racers or street riders, a serious hit to the head does no discrimination .

exactly...in racing we use this quote: '''' no head no helmet, no helmet no head ''''....i've never been able to fit my head in anything arai...seems like these helmets fits triangular faces best LOL....suomy or shoei were best fit to me....i don't mind spending a grand for a comfortable and noiseless ride....i can't endure any open face helmet anymore, not that i'm vegetarian, but the taste of insects isn't very developped in my culture LOL

Edited by sigsauerfan

My first bike was/is a 1988 GL1500. It now has 208K on it and is still running great even though it looks long in the tooth. I've also owned a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, a 1978 BMW R80/7 and a 1972 R60/5 Toaster. Of those 3, the one I regret selling is the R80/7. I have never been a fan of buying a small bike and ride it for a year then get a bigger bike. If you buy a small used bike, do so in the knowledge you will either have it for sale for several months or lose a good bit of money on resale. Both of those are possible

If you're primarily going to ride on twisty back roads, a cruiser may not have the ground clearance for aggressive cornering. Nothng wrong with taking the curves slowly, just depends on how you think you'll ride.

If you want to wrench, a BMW R80 or R100 would be great. If you want to ride, go Jap.

As for helmets, you do NOT have to break the bank for good protection. Look for Snell or DOT certification. TBH, you will be hard pressed to find a helmet without one of those 2 certs. You will also need to put on several helmet from different companies. I have a Shoei head. I've tested others and they just don't fit. If you want to save money, find the helmet you like at the dealers then buy it for less on-line.

Make sure you know how to properly "test fit" a helmet. http://helmetcheck.org/thefit.aspx

I prefer to wear ear plugs when riding. They cuts out the wind noise, reduce fatigue, and allow me to hear the stereo more clearly.

One last thing...dress for the crash.

Edited by remoandiris

nearly any soup bowl can get the dot cert approval . snell is another story. both doesn't share the same guidelines for the collision-shock tests, snell has much more constraints than dot. i look at snell certs in first no wonder .

as for R100, the only thing to remember is not letting them warm up on the sidestand. the boxers pots don't like that at all.

Look for Snell or DOT certification. TBH, you will be hard pressed to find a helmet without one of those 2 certs.

I already knew about the DOT but I've been reading about the Snell, including some controversy regarding some article some expert wrote about it. No ready to get into that.

But this is the same debate as with the bikes. If you really don't know what the differences are, it's easy to spend a lot of money up front for something that doesn't meet your needs. For now, it seems to me that what I need is something that fits and is adequate for the class.

For now, it seems to me that what I need is something that fits and is adequate for the class.

You should see if any of the classes have motorcycles available -- back in the day ('83) I was able to take a MSF class where they just stored Honda Rebels on site and let everyone in the class use those bikes.

You should see if any of the classes have motorcycles available -- back in the day ('83) I was able to take a MSF class where they just stored Honda Rebels on site and let everyone in the class use those bikes.

Yes, they all provide motorcycles. It's the gear that you are encouraged to bring. They have some helmets but I've got a small diameter noggin and the chance of getting something comfortable is low. I'd rather spend some bucks up front on some kind of helmet that fits, even if it's not my long term best choice.

Yes, they all provide motorcycles. It's the gear that you are encouraged to bring. They have some helmets but I've got a small diameter noggin and the chance of getting something comfortable is low. I'd rather spend some bucks up front on some kind of helmet that fits, even if it's not my long term best choice.

Sorry, missed that on which gear you were talking about :-)

Helmet main thing I don't think I've ever been sorry spending too much on ... and I have opposite problem of big noggin that barely XL fits.

The classes at least entry level MSF should provide bike to ride. our local one has every thing under the sun ( Honda rebels, night hawks, dirt bikes/ enduros) the gear you bring has always been ankle high boots, gloves and jacket. The usually have helmets to borrow. I wouldn't but that's me.

Helmets are another game. Get the one that fits best. You cant go wrong with the big brands but there is a price to pay with them. I have always preferred full face for the safety factor of the fixed chin bar. I had a icon that I bought at a close out and hated it, Had an HJC and loved it, on my second Shoei and have loved both of them. I replace my helmets every 4 to 5 years. The next one will be a flip front with sun shade built in. Having glasses is a pain with the full face and the flip front will make it easier. I also where ear plugs when I ride.

Graham, Start talking to the guys with bikes. Ask them questions about anything you want. Most riders/bikers will be happy to share their knowledge.

My first bike was a used '85 Honda V65 Magna. I still have the bike and ride it a lot. I have added several aftermarket things to make it fit me and my riding style better. The things I added really made it MUCH more comfortable to ride, even on Ironbutt type rides. I also have a '90 Goldwing 1500 SE. Both bikes have there place for me. The V65 is great for short or medium trips and lighter to maneuver in traffic and parking lots. The Wing is the best at long trips and can carry all you would ever want. I ride everyday once the temps get above 40/45. I don't mind riding in the rain as I have great rain gear.

Look for a comfy seat. Most OEM seats suck for comfort. Don't rule out older bikes. You can get them on the cheap, and certain makes and models still have lots of aftermarket goodies available. Do you want a wind screen? You won't get much of a wind screen on any sport bike. Touring models yes, but then the price goes up quite a bit. Also look at what features, or lack of features come on the bike. You would be surprised at what is not available on some bikes that really should be included.

You can buy a used bike for 3K or less, ride it for a while and then sell it. Probably get most of your money back or more. This may get you a much better idea about what kind of bike really fits you.

I have gone through 4 different helmets. Full face, modular, and 3/4. The full face is hot and much bulkier. The modular is the same but offers you the option to flip it up. I like mine, but I found I rode with it up more than down so I now have a 3/4 Nolan R43. I ride long rides and this lets me drink on the go. I don't recommend 1/2 helmets, unless you are just puttin' around town. Get a comfy helmet......or you'll hate wearing.

Find a bike that you can comfortably sit on and get off the stand. If you can't flat foot it, it's probably is too big for a beginner. I'm 5'8" and I can just flat foot the Wing.

YMMV

I second the BMW touring idea of a few others, but only as a second to the Ducati Hyperstrada. Upright position, comfy seat, bags you can remove if you want to take day trips only...and a key factor for comfort, light weight! About 380 pounds-ish, as compared to some of the other mentioned touring bikes at 600-800 plus. Good mileage to them...and they look awesome:

http://www.ducatiusa.com/cms-web/upl/MediaGalleries/535/MediaGallery_535348/Color_Hyperstrada_R_01_1067x600.jpg

Edited by LegionShooter

You need to know what you want to use it for and what type of roads you will be riding ie twisty hairpins or those big long straight roads you have over there.

You already know it's only going to be you on it which helps in the decision process, ie it all about you. You need to sit on and test ride as many different models and types that appeal to you not what someone else thinks is right. There are guys who ride huge kays on super sport bikes with no aches or pains at all - if you want a bike that will put a huge grin on your face you can't go past one of these.

I used to ride sports bikes but got a Harley Night Train to slow down, it's a cool bike with plenty of soul but I miss the neck snapping acceleration of a sports bike and handling. Whatever you decide on it's got to put a grin your face every time you look at it or start it up!

There are tons of modulars available in the $100 - $150 price range. I got a brand new one off ebay for $85 (made by Vega)

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUMMIT-3-1-MODULAR-HELMET-BLACK-SILVER-/380872916791?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item58adcb7f37&vxp=mtr

Edited by bountyhunter

Sorry, missed that on which gear you were talking about :-)

Helmet main thing I don't think I've ever been sorry spending too much on ... and I have opposite problem of big noggin that barely XL fits.

As cold as it sounds: if you have a fit issue, try the helmets on locally at a bike shop then buy off the internet. Save a couple hundred bucks.

If you faceplant w/o a full face helmet on, your face will regret it.

And you can kiss some teeth bye bye...

your teeth may as well miss a face for the rest of their life lol.seriously, i will never ride a bike with an open face helmet ever . i've witnessed in many, many occasions what a 60 mph crash can do to a nut,and generally ,highway speeds are a tad higher than 60mph...and this is not talking about concussions even wearing a fullface ....it can ruin your life .