Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling Media

Mistral404

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A third to a half of an eight ounce bottle? That sounds like a lot to me, especially given the build up problems I was having with using just a half to one ounce per run of the Frankford Arsenal stuff in my small Dillon and using walnut.

I'm using less and less polish now, and worrying less about the shininess of my brass (this especially since I started leaving OneShot on the loaded rounds - it dulls the finish on the case, so making the brass glow is wasted effort). Mostly, if its clean, I can deal with it. If the brass is really stained, I might use more polish, but generally a two hour run with media treated just once with an ounce of the FA/Midway brand polish gets 'em clean enough for me.

That does sound like a lot..

The cheapskate I am, I use 2-3 capfulls. and that's worked great. (small tumbler)

Maybe that's fine vs. coarse?

I'm picking some up today and I'll try it with my normal amount, otherwise, everything I'm saving goes to polish...

Normally I don’t worry about how shinny the brass is but after I started using One Shot some of the finished rounds seemed sticky after reloading. They did sit about 9 months in the basement. So I started tumbling the finished rounds for about 15 minutes in fine ground corncob and they come out real shinny now, and no more stickiness from sitting is a 5 gallon bucket in the basement. I typically don’t use polish because it just seems to gum up the works and create lots of dust, even using the dryer sheets. BTW, WD-40 seems to cut all the crud at the bottom of the tumbler bowl fairly quick and did not appear to damage the plastic of the tumbler, it’s a small Dillon.

Joe

Normally I don’t worry about how shinny the brass is but after I started using One Shot some of the finished rounds seemed sticky after reloading.

I experienced this too. I tried the Dillon Lube and it seems to not leave as much residue and definitely not as sticky. It is lighter and evaporates quicker than the one-shot though. It's sort of a trade of.

I have used both the aerosol and pump based One Shot. My (vague) impression is that I have had more problems with stickiness on the cases with the pump stuff. My much more definite impression is that the problem is much worse with regular brass compared to nickelled cases. The same brand of case (R-P, if you want to know) with either one shot feels slick and not sticky if it's nickel, but tacky if it's regular brass.

Most of my match brass is nickelled, and the One Shot stays on that. For the regular brass, I am starting to take it off - a spritz or two of rubbing alcohol into a towel and a quick rubbing takes care of the stickiness. I used to tumble the rounds, but the towel and alcohol are faster, and I think tumbling changes the SD/AD of the ammo.

i buy the crushed walnut at a PETCO. its not as "fine" as dillons, but its not excessively course either ( no dust though!! ). the medium size that it is also tumbles faster ( i dont know why!!). seems to do a good job. just like everyone else, i tried them all.

happy new year to all. see ya the range.

dan

• 1 month later...

I started using brass a few weeks ago and it has been working very well. I have cleaned about 6000 pieces of 40 brass. I used white rice from Super Walmart. 20lbs for $5 I think.

I didn't use any polish and I let it run 1.5 to 2 hours. It has looked pretty clean afterward. It looks and seems OK, we'll see over time, but nice and cheap and does a good job, or so it seems.

• 1 month later...

I was having a heck of a time with ejection problems in my open gun -- stovepipes, case not ejecting, etc. Tried a new ejector and tuned the extractor to death. Still problems. Finally, one day I grabbed my hanky and cleaned up the stickiness on the bullets. Voila! Ejection problems ended. I take the stickiness of One-Shot (maybe it was also combined with brass cleaner) seriously now. No more brass cleaner -- straight walnut and I tumble my match rounds. The One-Shot may take less work on the press, but it takes me longer to tumble a second time.

Be careful with what kind of rice you get. The short grained brown stuff from Costco worked great. That was no longer available the last trip to Costco, so I bought some long grain white rice. Big mistake. It's the perfect length to bridge in the bottom of .40 cases.

Back to the blasting media...

Newguy:

A lot of folks have some stickiness with lubes, including OneShot (though, for me, it's mostly a problem with the pump on regular brass as opposed to the aerosol). A quick fix is to dump the freshly loaded ammo, one or two hundred rounds at a time, onto an old towel that has been spritzed with plain isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Another spritz on top of the ammo, a quick rubbing of the rounds with the towel, and no more stickiness.

Ah, don't use a towel that you or your wife care about...

Kevn C.

I feel like a cheap skate. I use the same media (walnut) until a plume of dust comes out of my tumbler when I open it. (slight exaggeration)It still cleans my brass just fine but it leaves dust on the brass. I also only put a few caps full of Dillon Rapid Polish. I was shocked to hear some of you use half a bottle.

Seriously,

Both polishing media and Rapid Polish are very inexpensive compared to what I spend on the shooting sports. I guess I do it the way I do because that is the way I was told. Every time I read on this forum I learn something new.

It seams silly that you will switch media to save 5 bucks after spending 3 or 4 K on a gun:)

dave

I bought some long grain white rice. Big mistake. It's the perfect length to bridge in the bottom of .40 cases.

Eric,

that's why I use the "broken" white rice that's normally sold in large bags to feed pets.

;)

• 1 year later...

I was thinking of ordering some walnut media from this site:

http://www.ecoshell.com/Media.htm

Thing is, I have no idea which grind would be correct for 40SW.

12/20 or 14/30 perhaps?. Never tried the rice as media. Seems like a waste of potential food, (even if it is plentiful). One thing's for sure, if that was real Arborio rice (the kind we Italians use for Risotto) it would be frowned upon big time - kinda like using Porcini or Shitakes to wash dishes with. :)

(the kind we Italians use for Risotto)

We italians????

Is there another "spaghetti" shooter on this board???? :)

I guess we could have met on the ranges, but your profile is totally anonymous, and I don't have a clue... :huh:

D,

seriously, rice works perfectly, but I don't use rice we normally eat: I buy large bags of "cracked" rice at supermarkets, the ones that you normally find in dogs/pets food departments. It's really cheaper than anything else and works great.

I tried that stuff used for rabbits/hamsters cages (on the bottom of it, don't know how its named), but it won't clean brass even after 8 hours of tumbling.

(the kind we Italians use for Risotto)

We italians????

Is there another "spaghetti" shooter on this board???? :)

Well, I'm not blue-blooded Italian. My dad moved out here to the Western US from PG in '56 I think. I used to spend summers in Italy w. the cugini and I'm very fond of the the country. Will give the rice a try. Cheers B)

Newguy:

A lot of folks have some stickiness with lubes, including OneShot (though, for me, it's mostly a problem with the pump on regular brass as opposed to the aerosol). A quick fix is to dump the freshly loaded ammo, one or two hundred rounds at a time, onto an old towel that has been spritzed with plain isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Another spritz on top of the ammo, a quick rubbing of the rounds with the towel, and no more stickiness.

Ah, don't use a towel that you or your wife care about...

Kevn C.

Instead of spraying the brass, why not spray the de-capping and crimp dies? I only do it once every 100-200 rounds. No stickiness on the rounds....

Newguy:

A lot of folks have some stickiness with lubes...

Kevn C.

Instead of spraying the brass, why not spray the de-capping and crimp dies? I only do it once every 100-200 rounds. No stickiness on the rounds....

Hadn't thought to do it, frankly. Interesting observation!

But what's the difference, buildup on the dies that transfers to the case?

I still wonder why I only get sticky cases with regular brass, not nickel...

Edited by kevin c

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...
I'd guess that they'd be a bit too soft for good cleaning action?

Another question: Is the really coarse corncob you can buy in pet stores (sold as litter) going to work? Mebbe so big (granules the size of a .22 short) that there wouldn't be any scrubbing action?

:unsure:

the pet store corn cob stuff works great and is cheap.

lynn

It works great till it works its way into the neck of your 5.56 brass! lol Ask me how I know. I use pet store stuff now and even had some jam up in 9MM brass. The Harts brand at walmart seems to work better than the others made for pets. I am however on a quest for a 50 lbs bag of walnut to satisfy my cleaning needs.

How often are you supposed to replace the media? Are you using one bucket to clean and another to polish?

No law for it. If I stops working good I put some low odor mineral spirits in it and the Nu finish and it seems to bring it back to life but I replace it when it gets really gray in color. FWIW