Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gas block suggestions

Therealkoop

Sorry, I like others have issues with the adjustment seizing up. The adjustment screw is so fine that you cant get much force on it without stripping it. Ive made a post about freeing it up before and freed it a little but its still annoying to deal with.

I have been using the JP gas block. I don't like how close the .936 low pro one is to touching the inside of my hg tube, but it works and I think that is more of a "in my head" issue then anything. Shouldn't be a worry if you are using a .750 which I think the Syrac is.

I like the seekins so far. I have only put a few hundred rounds on it but it still adjusts. It has a brass set screw that holds the gas adjustment screw where you set it so no backing in or out.

You're right about the syrac and it's tendency to death lock.

I also like my JP adjustable gas block. No issues with the adjustment screw, blue loctite 242 holds the adjustment and let's you make adjustments when needed.

I also just ordered the seekins block for another build for someone and am interested to see how it works.

SLR Rifleworks for the win.

I've tried the JP, Seekins, Syrac, and SLR. I'm using the SLR now. They just released a new version called the "Sentry". It's smaller (shorter) than the previous versions and should clear just about any handguard out there. I had to break out a file for the previous version, but this one looks like it will be the ticket. The adjustments are very slick too, it only takes one tool and it can all be done from the front.

Here's a quick run-down of what I perceived as negatives with the other blocks I used.

JP- You have to use a thread locking compound to keep it set reliably. I tune mine to the edge and may need to adjust for a 20 degree temp shift, that's not fun to try and do the morning of the match.

Seekins- I love the concept, but the adjustment faces the rear and I stripped out the screw trying to adjust it through my handguard. Operator error for sure, but it wasn't user friendly for me and I LOVE Seekins products.

Syrac- You already know... And I didn't realize how much of a pain it was to push in that detent until I no longer had to do it.

***Just to be clear, I'm not sponsored by anyone! These are just my opinions based on a couple of years of using the products.

SLR Rifleworks for the win.

I've tried the JP, Seekins, Syrac, and SLR. I'm using the SLR now. They just released a new version called the "Sentry". It's smaller (shorter) than the previous versions and should clear just about any handguard out there. I had to break out a file for the previous version, but this one looks like it will be the ticket. The adjustments are very slick too, it only takes one tool and it can all be done from the front.

Here's a quick run-down of what I perceived as negatives with the other blocks I used.

JP- You have to use a thread locking compound to keep it set reliably. I tune mine to the edge and may need to adjust for a 20 degree temp shift, that's not fun to try and do the morning of the match.

Seekins- I love the concept, but the adjustment faces the rear and I stripped out the screw trying to adjust it through my handguard. Operator error for sure, but it wasn't user friendly for me and I LOVE Seekins products.

Syrac- You already know... And I didn't realize how much of a pain it was to push in that detent until I no longer had to do it.

***Just to be clear, I'm not sponsored by anyone! These are just my opinions based on a couple of years of using the products.

I have to agree. I have the SLR DA7-C clamp on adjustable gas block. no problems at all.

So, KOOP, you running the Syrac/JP joint venture gas block? The one that has two screw clamp-up style, with adjuster screw facing forwards towards muzzle? Also, the one with the detent pin that you have to push in, to turn the gas screw?

So, KOOP, you running the Syrac/JP joint venture gas block? The one that has two screw clamp-up style, with adjuster screw facing forwards towards muzzle? Also, the one with the detent pin that you have to push in, to turn the gas screw?

Thats the one. Pin in the front to push and unlock. Didn't know it was a joint venture. Ive tried emailing with no response and it seems others have the same issues as I do.

Currently I've got a BTE micro adjustable on mine Koop. Similar to the JP and i just bought one of those to put on the 16". They are 48 bucks and I am able to adjust mine through the handguard. Never had a problem with it getting stuck, use blue loctite and its holding in place.

Going to give the SLR a chance. Hopefully it works out!

Cool, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Did you get the new Sentry series or the DA series? I have the DA series on three of my rifles and I'm ordering a Sentry series for the one rifle that I had clearance issues with. The DA series just barely made contact on my Lancer octagonal handguard, the Sentry should fit perfectly.

Currently I've got a BTE micro adjustable on mine Koop. Similar to the JP and i just bought one of those to put on the 16". They are 48 bucks and I am able to adjust mine through the handguard. Never had a problem with it getting stuck, use blue loctite and its holding in place.

This does look interesting and the price is about half of most the adjustable GB's on the market. http://bte-usa.com/parts/micro-gasblocks.htm

What handguard are you running with it?

Edited by Shooter115

Okay, I had put a Syrac/JP gas block on recently, and took a JP adjustable block off, to get block under a keymod rail.

I started at the 2 turns out recommended setting, and was able to go in a half turn, and get bolt to lock back, therefore giving me the least amount of gas needed to to run the gun... One thing I did notice though, the gun had a LOT more rise and jump with this new gas block than the old JP block... May try running with more gas, to try and reduce what goes out barrel and hits comp... What do you guys think??

This does look interesting and the price is about half of most the adjustable GB's on the market. http://bte-usa.com/parts/micro-gasblocks.htm

What handguard are you running with it?

I've got a 15in MI gen2. The slots lined up perfect for me to adjust it. I did have to file on the screws to keep it from rubbing though.

Does it have to be adjustable? If you want a no-bs reliable gas block, I'd go with the BCM gas blocks. Not adjustable, but the ID is ground to size and every one that I've ever put on is a nice tight fit. Quality is top notch.