Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Division?

bradhe

Trying to figure out which division my son is legal to shoot in with his 1911.

He has small hands so gun is:

Springfield 9mm 1911, as from the factory but for:

- cleaned up inside for function

- short trigger replaced the long trigger it came with

- very thin grips from brownells

- lowered safety lever (the gunsite part, but available from Brownells

- extended magazine release, the Wilson part that extends backward

- factory springfield magazines

What category does that but him in?

thanks

He can shoot in Limited, Open, Limited 10 or Single Stack. He will be scored minor in everything but Open.

His best bet to be competitive is to shoot in Single Stack where he can load 10 rounds in his mags and score minor power factor.

Edited by lawboy

Single stack makes the most sense. Make sure the holster and mag pouch design and placement also complies with the rules; SS is the most pedantic division when it comes to belt kit. Also, confirm that the pistol meets the weight and size restrictions.

I say SS as well. In L10 everyone has 10 rounds and he's loosing points at minor with no benefit. In ss he looses more points but has 2 rounds over the major shooters

He looses more points shooting SS minor? (vs. shooting L-10 minor.) Are you sure you meant to say that?

If he's shooting minor, his points are scored the same way - regardless of Division.

Respectfully,

ac

I wish I could get more new shooters to start in minor, especially new, smaller ones. Ego makes lot of people convert to major since they don't wanna be perceived as "less manly" Major/minor really doesn't mean a whole lot until you start running 60-70% of top dogs(even then it's not what you think). Somebody will probably chime in and say how they won a match with just major scoring. Ok I know people that can win matches with a Revolver and that is not a reason to convert to Revo in Open. What I am trying to say is 9mm is cheap to shoot(so you will shoot more the real way to get good) and it has less recoil so you can concentrate on shooting better and makes those fundamentals solid.

Is this a absolute? No, of course but I believe that it is better to shoot with what gun you already got, then spend 3K to still be three places from the bottom. It's hard for a lot of people to appreciate or believe but it is the Indian not the Arrow. Assuming that your Bow works.

Oh forgot SS minor is what I would do. Maybe L10 minor. Both probably mean more mags to buy. Here is the secret. Get training and buy some ammo. then buy more ammo

Edited by BSeevers

I say SS as well. In L10 everyone has 10 rounds and he's loosing points at minor with no benefit. In ss he looses more points but has 2 rounds over the major shooters

He looses more points shooting SS minor? (vs. shooting L-10 minor.) Are you sure you meant to say that?

If he's shooting minor, his points are scored the same way - regardless of Division.

Respectfully,

ac

Mean he is loosing more points over the major shooters but he does have 2 extra rounds over the guys shooting major whee in L10 they have the se rounds and he gets scored minor

When I shoot 9mm minor Single Stack it causes me a problem (so what else is new). Because the gun is so easy to shoot, I start shooting it too fast, slide into the spray and pray mode, and lose too many points or even hits. Other than the Single Stack Nationals I plan on shooting the 9mm all this year just for fun and giggles.

I have to keep reminding myself that my "advantage" is that I have two extra rounds and will be able to pick up a shot or perhaps shoot the stage in a different way than the major power factor shooters.

Front sight, front sight, front sight.

I wish I could get more new shooters to start in minor, especially new, smaller ones. Ego makes lot of people convert to major since they don't wanna be perceived as "less manly" Major/minor really doesn't mean a whole lot until you start running 60-70% of top dogs(even then it's not what you think). Somebody will probably chime in and say how they won a match with just major scoring. Ok I know people that can win matches with a Revolver and that is not a reason to convert to Revo in Open. What I am trying to say is 9mm is cheap to shoot(so you will shoot more the real way to get good) and it has less recoil so you can concentrate on shooting better and makes those fundamentals solid.

Is this a absolute? No, of course but I believe that it is better to shoot with what gun you already got, then spend 3K to still be three places from the bottom. It's hard for a lot of people to appreciate or believe but it is the Indian not the Arrow. Assuming that your Bow works.

Oh forgot SS minor is what I would do. Maybe L10 minor. Both probably mean more mags to buy. Here is the secret. Get training and buy some ammo. then buy more ammo

I agree that shooting cheap 9mm is a great place to start, but ultimately that argument makes more sense if you say people should start in a division where they're not penalized for it, like production. The 10-round mags in single stack minor at least let them shoot stage plans like the production guys, which is often beneficial at multi-division matches, though not matches oriented towards single stack where every position has a 6-8 round array. They can also compare their hit factors to the production shooters pretty easily (and there's never a shortage of them). L10 with a minor gun just seems more likely to frustrate new shooters, because they really are at a disadvantage, any manliness concerns aside...

I disagree with telling people to buy guns because you can't buy your way to skill. Most people buy a completely different gun down the road and usually buy wrong making the buy right after starting without the correct experience and knowledge.

Major Minor 10 rds whatever doesn't mean a whole lot to a new shooter shooting 55 sec stages with make up shots etc... I don't see a lot of people winning right off the bat. . Shooting the 9mm he already has makes sense both recoil and economically Plenty of time to buy a 40 SS if that's where he stays.

I know most shooters go STI limited or CZ production or whatever a few months down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BSeevers

I disagree with telling people to buy guns because you can't buy your way to skill. Most people buy a completely different gun down the road and usually buy wrong making the buy right after starting without the correct experience and knowledge.

Major Minor 10 rds whatever doesn't mean a whole lot to a new shooter shooting 55 sec stages with make up shots etc... I don't see a lot of people winning right off the bat. . Shooting the 9mm he already has makes sense both recoil and economically Plenty of time to buy a 40 SS if that's where he stays.

I know most shooters go STI limited or CZ production or whatever a few months down the road.

You're right, it's not worth buying a new gun just to switch divisions, and in this case, single stack minor makes a lot of sense and isn't as much of a handicap as minor might be in other divisions anyway. I meant more as a general rule, if people haven't already bought other gear, it's nice to start them out with 9mm in a division where it's competitive.