Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA or USPSA

DavidT2252

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Osage - why is dumping a magazine so bad tactically in your opinion? I have heard people say this a lot and it just doesn't compute for me. So would like to hear your thoughts on why that would be such a sin?

Sure. The main reason is that I've only go so many rounds and so many magazines on me. I'm in the Army and I am also a patrol officer for a municipality. It might not be so bad in a military capacity where I've likely got a bunch of magazines, but then again if I do run out I'm going to wish I hadn't left a bunch of perfectly good rounds on the battlefield behind me. As a cop, I know that the average gunfight is just a couple of rounds and the likelihood of even needing to reload is slim. However, there are exceptions. If I have to run into an active shooter (or 2 or 3) situation, say in a mall, my round count may be much higher. I've got 2 spares on my duty belt. If I reload every time I get a short break in the chase I will quickly run out of magazines. If I'm working plain clothes, I may only have one spare. Those rounds become that much more important.

Aside from that, while I can separate a game from reality, in USPSA it is often advantageous to drop a half empty and load another when you are in the open with several targets still facing you. There is no emphasis on cover or tactics. In a game you know how many targets you have left - in reality you don't. USPSA cares about speed/accuracy/power. If you are trying to win, you must sacrifice a couple of other defensive skills. Again, I know it's a game and not training, but I tend to not gravitate to a game where I MUST compromise certain tactics in order to be competitive.

IDPA has plenty of rules that I dislike. The difference is that when I don't like a rule it's normally because I can't do something that I would do, rather than having to do something that I wouldn't do. For repetition, I would rather be restricted from something I would do than encouraged to do something I wouldn't.

Like I said, it may not be a big deal for the vast majority of situations. But I can see enough in my life where I don't want to instill that as a habit. I simply feel that since my gaming time is limited I should pick one that best supports my primary goal and that is tactical shooting.

Nothing says you can't shoot USPSA according to your tactical preference. That is one big difference. Shoot is however you want, you won't get penalized, and you can maintain your personal tactical priority. The same cannot be said for IDPA.

Osage - why is dumping a magazine so bad tactically in your opinion? I have heard people say this a lot and it just doesn't compute for me. So would like to hear your thoughts on why that would be such a sin?

Sure. The main reason is that I've only go so many rounds and so many magazines on me. I'm in the Army and I am also a patrol officer for a municipality. It might not be so bad in a military capacity where I've likely got a bunch of magazines, but then again if I do run out I'm going to wish I hadn't left a bunch of perfectly good rounds on the battlefield behind me. As a cop, I know that the average gunfight is just a couple of rounds and the likelihood of even needing to reload is slim. However, there are exceptions. If I have to run into an active shooter (or 2 or 3) situation, say in a mall, my round count may be much higher. I've got 2 spares on my duty belt. If I reload every time I get a short break in the chase I will quickly run out of magazines. If I'm working plain clothes, I may only have one spare. Those rounds become that much more important.

Aside from that, while I can separate a game from reality, in USPSA it is often advantageous to drop a half empty and load another when you are in the open with several targets still facing you. There is no emphasis on cover or tactics. In a game you know how many targets you have left - in reality you don't. USPSA cares about speed/accuracy/power. If you are trying to win, you must sacrifice a couple of other defensive skills. Again, I know it's a game and not training, but I tend to not gravitate to a game where I MUST compromise certain tactics in order to be competitive.

IDPA has plenty of rules that I dislike. The difference is that when I don't like a rule it's normally because I can't do something that I would do, rather than having to do something that I wouldn't do. For repetition, I would rather be restricted from something I would do than encouraged to do something I wouldn't.

Like I said, it may not be a big deal for the vast majority of situations. But I can see enough in my life where I don't want to instill that as a habit. I simply feel that since my gaming time is limited I should pick one that best supports my primary goal and that is tactical shooting.

Nothing says you can't shoot USPSA according to your tactical preference. That is one big difference. Shoot is however you want, you won't get penalized, and you can maintain your personal tactical priority. The same cannot be said for IDPA.

Have you seen a hardcore IDPA shooter shoot a USPSA match? It's actually amusing since it is so foreign to what USPSA is all about. That showed me that while one can say the games are somewhat similar, in reality they are different as night and day.

Yup, we have a guy that comes around who is a long-time USPSA shooter (~20 years) that has a CCW for his job. He comes out and shoots either his carry gun or one like it from concealment and he only does head shots when there are metric targets. No problem there except he does get kind of pissy on stages with classic targets. :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

Oh I realize I can shoot USPSA using what I deem to be correct tactics, etc. But then it's no longer a game as I have absolutely no chance of winning - I do like winning. It would then just be practice in which case I can do it all by myself without having to wait for 10 other people in a squad.

I hope nobody thinks I'm knocking USPSA - I'm not. I am exceedingly impressed at the abilities of many of these shooters. Any game that brings lots of people into the shooting sports and wider field of guns is ok in my book. I simply can't work the road as a cop, serve extra duty on SWAT, fly helicopters for the Army, conduct training as a firearms instructor, go to church, spend time with the family, and shoot every discipline of action shooting. I settled on IDPA as it provides the best combination for me.

Osage. I have to poke some fun at you now. I am ex army. So this is in fun..... Please take it that way.

When you say you are in the army and talk tactics you get a little bit of credit for that experience. But then when you reveal you are a Ft Rucker Rotary Wing Weenie, you actually lose some credibility on tactics:). just sayin'

What do you fly?

Osage. I have to poke some fun at you now. I am ex army. So this is in fun..... Please take it that way.

When you say you are in the army and talk tactics you get a little bit of credit for that experience. But then when you reveal you are a Ft Rucker Rotary Wing Weenie, you actually lose some credibility on tactics:). just sayin'

What do you fly?

:roflol: Very good point! Kind of like grunts in a foxhole talking about aviation tactics? :)

You are assuming that I have always been a pilot, and that I have always been in the Army. You would be ignoring the possibility that I began my military career at the ripe ol' age of 18 in the United States Marine Corps.

Oh, Blackhawk instructor pilot.

Edited by Osage

Yup, we have a guy that comes around who is a long-time USPSA shooter (~20 years) that has a CCW for his job. He comes out and shoots either his carry gun or one like it from concealment and he only does head shots when there are metric targets. No problem there except he does get kind of pissy on stages with classic targets. :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

And it is real funny to watch what he does when you yell " Cover" demurring the match

I think it's pretty silly to pretend that IDPA is any more 'real world' (meow) or practical/tactical than USPSA. Both will help your shooting. Neither will help your 'tactics' in the slightest. Try them both and see what you like. Around here, the round count for monthly matches is pretty similar, 100-120-ish.

You are assuming that I have always been a pilot, and that I have always been in the Army. You would be ignoring the possibility that I began my military career at the ripe ol' age of 18 in the United States Marine Corps.

Oh, Blackhawk instructor pilot.

So I have to ask. Have you ever had troops give you a "push start" while you sit up front and giggle in an evil manner?

Thread derail admitted.

From the USPSA Rulebook:

"Any USPSA member in good standing who is determined to have shot an IDPA match when a sanctioned USPSA match was available on the same date shall have his or her membership revoked".

:ph34r:

Yep, spot on. I found this rule in 2 of my last 3 USPSA rule books.

And for those tactical Timmys, ...... I shoot USPSA because SPEED is the most fun tactic to practice!!! That, and in the real world, I'm gonna shoot them as I see them, which is also a really good tactic in USPSA. Geez, if I keep going I'm gonna find that USPSA is too tactical and be forced to take up that Glock game, or SASS, or SCSA.

I wonder about the tactical shooting courses. Not to step on anyone's toes or insult anyone. But I think small unit tactics are very well developed and a lot of the "Brands" out there teaching tactics courses seem to be ex military ninja's. But as for the rest I think it is very "un-developed" and people teach some nuance or another that it seems has little to do with a self defense shooting....

But - I digress and derail - please forgive me again.....

My deciding factor was really travel time. The USPSA matches were South of me and IDPA matches were North of me. I shot USPSA first and found it easier to shoot. IDPA rules are different and probably closer to real world encounters. Plus IDPA does not have a $3100 Open gun division. They are both fun expect to spend the day the last match I shot had 78 shooters. This makes for a long day bring a chair.

Haven't tried idpa but i have learned that when you change mag you have to put the used mag in your pocket or pouch before getting the new magazine. How can that be real life? In a gunfight, i dont think that you will remember that you'll just shoot your gun and if you ran out of ammo the hell with that used magazine, you'll throw it away as fast as you can and reload not minding where that used mag is assuming in a real gunfight you put your used mag in your pocket before you know it your opponent has shot you already bec of that procedure

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk HD

Haven't tried idpa but i have learned that when you change mag you have to put the used mag in your pocket or pouch before getting the new magazine. How can that be real life? In a gunfight, i dont think that you will remember that you'll just shoot your gun and if you ran out of ammo the hell with that used magazine, you'll throw it away as fast as you can and reload not minding where that used mag is assuming in a real gunfight you put your used mag in your pocket before you know it your opponent has shot you already bec of that procedure

Have you read the rules? Where did you learn this as a blanket statement?

There are times and places for everything.

JC

Have you read the rules? Where did you learn this as a blanket statement?

There are times and places for everything.

JC

I read it a bit and have seen idpa videos in youtube and saw also james yeager's video abt idpa vs ipsc and i kinda agree with him