Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are people shooting for a pistol cal carbine?

actionshooter

I know some ranges don't allow full power rifles and people are using pistol caliber carbines for 3 gun and 2 gun matches. Been thinking about buying or building a 9mm but was wonder what people are using.

There are a lot of magazine options, whats the best for a competition rifle?

While I was dedicated to Limited I decided I wanted a .40 carbine. I ordered an Olympic Arms A3 that uses Glock mags and have been happy. Just took a couple 22 round mags and Dawson extensions and done. It may have just a small amount more recoil than a 9MM but really smashes down pistol steel!

Beretta CX4 in 9mm. Have shot numerous 2 gun matches with it and the PX4 to go with it. Furthest range I've been able to shoot it is about 150 yards, wish I could find a longer range here. You can find the CX4 carbine set up to work with either the 92 or PX4 Storm magazines. There are adaptors one can use to convert from one mag style to the other.

JP GMR-13 on it's way for me. Ordered around thankgiving, estimate was 16 week-ish, so maybe end of March? I wanted my short course platform to match my jp15 as close as reasonably possible and I wanted glock mags just because of their availability. I do hate the waiting part

At the local pistol-cal match and an upcoming CQB 3G match, I've been using an M1 Carbine with a red dot on it, which I love. A lot of guys there are using CX4 carbines or 9mm ARs. The .30 Carbine smacks steel harder.

I built a 9mm upper half on my SBR. 10" RRA barrel, CMMG ramped bolt, regular 5.56 upper and charging handle. I use a top-drop-in Hahn mag block, and I run either Metalform 32-rounders or modified UZI mags (including a 40-rounder and Frankenmag 63-rounder). The gun handles pretty much the same as my 5.56 rifles, but with more felt recoil due to the blowback system of operation. Here is a photo, and video of me running it in a match today:

AR159mmBigStickMagazine19.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Can you get 30 rounders for a .30 carbine? How are you mounting your dot? I had a little .30, and that sucker was very reliable. Seems you could load that on a SDB too.

I tend to use the 15 rd mags more often, but I do have some Korean 30 rd mags that I use occasionally. I did put in the correct mag catch to use the 30 rounders. There is a rail made by Ultimak that replaces the top hand-guard on the M1 Carb, and that is what I did.

I've been wondering about this as well as my local range only allows PCCs for it's "tactical" and "multi-gun" matches. So what I don't get is, do I just buy a complete upper that goes on my 556 lower, or do I have to buy a dedicated gun? And can you "build" an upper? I don't think I've seen any barrels or bolts anywhere before, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Also, if I use my 556 lower, do they use different buffers and stuff? (Not sure how the blow back systems work)

-Mike

I've been wondering about this as well as my local range only allows PCCs for it's "tactical" and "multi-gun" matches. So what I don't get is, do I just buy a complete upper that goes on my 556 lower, or do I have to buy a dedicated gun? And can you "build" an upper? I don't think I've seen any barrels or bolts anywhere before, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Also, if I use my 556 lower, do they use different buffers and stuff? (Not sure how the blow back systems work)

-Mike

You can either buy an upper or a dedicated rifle. If you just do an upper you'll need to buy an adapter that goes into the lower to accept the pistol caliber magazine. For me this seemed like a hassle, so I went with a dedicated rifle using glock mags. Less hassle and I already have the mags for my G17. Lots of variables including budget, and what you already have.

-Mike

I've no direct experience with anyone other than JP and brownells. Heard good things about ADCO. I went dedicated because I wanted the dedicated lower and a gun I could shoot right away with no potential fiddling.

https://adcofirearms.com/acc/ProductLine_q.cfm?product_category=Barrels&subcategory=9mm%20Barrels

http://stores.9mmar.com/barrels/

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.13_GMR.php (under accessories, bolts and magwell blocks)

http://www.jsesurplus.com/ar9mm.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-m16-9mm-threaded-barrels-prod53925.aspx

-Mike

If you are talking about TriCounty, they have been PCC for the "tactical" match (where I use my .30 Carbine), and last I heard it was ONLY.223 for the multigun, no .308 or .300 BLK. I don't know if they allow PCC for multigun. Could contact Adam Gardner and ask him.

You can build an AR upper. It is not hard. You will need a few tools. I priced out building/buying either a 9mm or a .45 upper, and it was expensive & I decided to build a .300 BLK instead.

-Mike

If you are talking about TriCounty, they have been PCC for the "tactical" match (where I use my .30 Carbine), and last I heard it was ONLY.223 for the multigun, no .308 or .300 BLK. I don't know if they allow PCC for multigun. Could contact Adam Gardner and ask him.

You can build an AR upper. It is not hard. You will need a few tools. I priced out building/buying either a 9mm or a .45 upper, and it was expensive & I decided to build a .300 BLK instead.

Ben,

TCGC's MG match allows .308 - at least it did recently (I was shooting it, along with two [?] other competitors). But your advice is excellent - it's always best to check with the MD.

Olympic Arms, although often maligned on the forums, offers a PCC upper. I've been using one happily, and without complaint, for many years/rounds. It doesn't require changing buffers or installing mag-well blocks. Drop it on a 5.56 lower, add the proper mag (Oly, or moded Sten), and shoot pistol ammo.

ac

I built a 9mm upper half on my SBR. 10" RRA barrel, CMMG ramped bolt, regular 5.56 upper and charging handle. I use a top-drop-in Hahn mag block, and I run either Metalform 32-rounders or modified UZI mags (including a 40-rounder and Frankenmag 63-rounder). The gun handles pretty much the same as my 5.56 rifles, but with more felt recoil due to the blowback system of operation. Here is a photo, and video of me running it in a match today:

Ive been thinking of getting a 9mm upper, but everytime I shoot one, I get surprised over how much they jump compared to my .223s.

Have you been playing around with bullet weights, comps and buffers at all? Wondering if you could get it smoother by using some really light bullets and a healthy scoop of really slow powder, or is there just too much moving mass to do much about it?

This is where use of a hydraulic buffer helps in the 9mm. Makes a pretty big difference...

Mick

Ive been thinking of getting a 9mm upper, but everytime I shoot one, I get surprised over how much they jump compared to my .223s.

Have you been playing around with bullet weights, comps and buffers at all? Wondering if you could get it smoother by using some really light bullets and a healthy scoop of really slow powder, or is there just too much moving mass to do much about it?

JP GMR-13 on it's way for me. Ordered around thankgiving, estimate was 16 week-ish, so maybe end of March? I wanted my short course platform to match my jp15 as close as reasonably possible and I wanted glock mags just because of their availability. I do hate the waiting part

I have the JP GMR-13 in 9mm and it has been great, seems to eat anything up to 1.165 OAL shoots great. I put TARAN TACTICAL TTI GLOCK FIREPOWER LARGE BASE PAD on the big mags they holds 36 rounds. It's has be flawless. In my opinion the glock mags are a huge plus

I have the JP GMR-13 in 9mm and it has been great, seems to eat anything up to 1.165 OAL shoots great. I put TARAN TACTICAL TTI GLOCK FIREPOWER LARGE BASE PAD on the big mags they holds 36 rounds. It's has be flawless. In my opinion the glock mags are a huge plus

T, what bullet are you shooting? I've been picking up factory 115's and 124's to run through it when I get it to see what it likes best, before I start to gather up component bullets. I don't need super accuracy at the likely use distances, but I don't want to give away anything.

I hadn't even thought about adding extensions to the mag...I will check those out. Do you use the stock spring?

thanks

T, what bullet are you shooting? I've been picking up factory 115's and 124's to run through it when I get it to see what it likes best, before I start to gather up component bullets. I don't need super accuracy at the likely use distances, but I don't want to give away anything.

I hadn't even thought about adding extensions to the mag...I will check those out. Do you use the stock spring?

thanks

In my JP-GMR-13 9mm I've been shooting my minor loads that I use for Steel in open guns.. 124gr MG-CMJ's 5.3 of 7625 OAL 1.150 or 1.155 Avg/Vel 1172fps OR same except 6.5 HS6 Avg/Vel 1160 both worked fine also tried HP/115 liked results better 124gr. and I did not have to change springs Taran said they would work fine and they did in Glock Mags