Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are people shooting for a pistol cal carbine?

actionshooter

Beretta CX4 in 9mm. Have shot numerous 2 gun matches with it and the PX4 to go with it. Furthest range I've been able to shoot it is about 150 yards, wish I could find a longer range here. You can find the CX4 carbine set up to work with either the 92 or PX4 Storm magazines. There are adaptors one can use to convert from one mag style to the other.

+1 for the storm. never had a failure with facotry ammo. can is very quiet. baretta makes 30 rd fsc. mags, 20's also.

can do any better. also can put the mag realease on either side u want to. bolt release is 2nd to none.

147 hornady is 1/2" accurate at 25 yds 1" at 50.

jjw

Edited by jjw

Beretta CX4 in 9mm. Have shot numerous 2 gun matches with it and the PX4 to go with it. Furthest range I've been able to shoot it is about 150 yards, wish I could find a longer range here. You can find the CX4 carbine set up to work with either the 92 or PX4 Storm magazines. There are adaptors one can use to convert from one mag style to the other.

+1 for the storm. never had a failure with facotry ammo. can is very quiet. baretta makes 30 rd fsc. mags, 20's also.

can do any better. also can put the mag realease on either side u want to. bolt release is 2nd to none.

147 hornady is 1/2" accurate at 25 yds 1" at 50.

jjw

I'm shooting mine in a 2 gun match with my matching PX4 pistol this weekend. My pistol has over 30k rounds and the rifle has around 2.5k on it; neither one has ever had a problem.

For local matches with a rifle side match I sometimes drag out my Kel Tec Sub 2000. Yeah, it's a Kel Tec, meaning cheaply made. But it's a lot of fun to shoot and uses Glock magazines! And it's fun to pull it out of a laptop bag at the "make ready" command.

For local matches with a rifle side match I sometimes drag out my Kel Tec Sub 2000. Yeah, it's a Kel Tec, meaning cheaply made. But it's a lot of fun to shoot and uses Glock magazines! And it's fun to pull it out of a laptop bag at the "make ready" command.

They are really great guns, the one KelTec "got right". I have two, a .40 that takes G22 mags and a 9mm that takes Beretta 92 mags (and a lot of others with a different mag catch). I reall, really like the .40 and am warming to the 9 except everything about it is more stiff. Guess I need to just shoot the snot out of it. I have a rail rigged on top of the factory handguards on the 9mm and have a dot mounted out on it. It works OK even though the will not fold all the way anymore of course (it still gets small enough to go in a briefcase).

+1 for the JP GMR-13. Mine runs great with all of my Glock mags Stock, limited, and open. 100 yard gun all day even with crap ammo. The dual top and side charging handles are really slick. I can shoot it as fast as a rim fire carbine in steel challenge.

• 4 weeks later...

There aren't really any out there for good reason. Standard 9mm ammo just doesnt have enough gas to make a comp produce a measurable difference. You can load 9mm with slower burning powders, but it still doesn't really have much volume or pressure to run the comp. I run a Ron William DI 9mm upper and load 9mm ammo specifically for the rifle with VV 3N37 so it will cycle the gas system. I've wondered if running this gassier load will do anything different for a comp but the problem is there are none to choose from to even experiment with.

Has anyone found a really good comp for the 9mm?

There are claims that the comp on the JP GMR does something for 9mm. Upon inspection and comparison of my JP GMR to my JP15 the comps are different as far as hole locations and such. I would assume if it was completely for looks they would have just kept the same geometry as the 223 comp (minus the bore or course).

I haven't shot mine enough yet with the crap weather to make a statement, and I really don't have a way to compare with it off (pinned and welded on a 14.5 barrel).

I am intrested in getting into 3 gun. I shoot a G17 in IDPA. I also reload 9mm. it seems like the JP-CMR-13 is the same way to go if you want to match your AR to your pistol and you shoot Glock. One commenter indicated he questioned using the 9mm round and the lack of blow back power compared to the heavier rounds. Anymore views on that. For the pistol I reload 147 gr to a low power factor and a 890 fps vel. What is the typical velocity expected for an AR 9mm? Anyone use coated lead bullets in an AR?

thx

I just chrono'd the gmr today. 115gr am eagle 1245 fps avg for 5 rds, es 28

I am planning on shooting 124gr Montana golds once I start to reload for it. I have to chrono the factory 124s next time out

My opinion is that the 9mm ar works for 3 gun when its an up close match...100yd max, maybe even less than that. If the shots go past that I think the trajectory will start to make your life more difficult.

I shot it back to back with my jp15 and they were close in recoil feel, maybe a little more in the gmr.

Its quick, I was running 0.15 -0.17 splits on double taps on up close paper (5-10 yds)

I just chrono'd the gmr today. 115gr am eagle 1245 fps avg for 5 rds, es 28

I am planning on shooting 124gr Montana golds once I start to reload for it. I have to chrono the factory 124s next time out

My opinion is that the 9mm ar works for 3 gun when its an up close match...100yd max, maybe even less than that. If the shots go past that I think the trajectory will start to make your life more difficult.

Thx, it will be interesting to see what you get when you chrono the 124s. Please post your results. 1245 seems fast for a 9 mm 115 gr, that gives you a PF of 143. To meet a pistol PF in IDPA for a 115 gr bullet you need at least 1089 fps. Since I am not familiar with rifle loads and there is no info on using 9mm in rifles I'm wondering what the best weight bullet and load is for ARs for 3 gun since the PF limitations do not apply. I would guess for close up (<50 yrds) it will not matter. I think I read somewhere the bullet speed increases about 20-30 fps per inch of barrel. If pistol loads are tested in a 4.5 inch barrel then I would guess you expect a higher velocity for the same load for a 21 to 26 inch barrel or whatever the JP-GMR length is. I would interested if you load to max load or close for your 124s to get a higher velocity.

Maybe I should just call JP and ask them;

GMR length is 14.5" with a pinned and welded brake/flash hider. If I had 9mm pistol I could have put those same rds over the chrono and we'd have two data points, but I do not (yet).

My plan for 124's will be to match them to factory velocity initially. I don't know enough about how the blow back operation is effected when you download the rounds for bunny farts. I assume it just won't cycle properly at some point but I hear things about case rupture potential where the case is still pressurized and the blow back moves out of battery. Logically, that would seem to be more a condition for hot rounds, but at some point the speed of the powder used could effect things. I'm hoping if I stay in a "standard" window for powder speed and such I should be ok.