Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Number of Dillon problems ?

Does the number of forum threads and posts concerning problems reasonably reflect the number of problems experienced by the average Dillon user ?

I have been using Dillons since before the RL450 and since then the 550, 650, and 1050 and have to feel that I have been a very lucky user in comparison.

Guess that must mean someone somewhere likes me.

Edited by Hammer1

That or guys have issues with being able to set up and run them. They can be complicated machines, and small things can trip you up. I have 5 different Dillon machines, some run better than others. The SDB and 650s run pretty well. The 550 has issues. Even with 3 650s, they are not all as "good", but I would not get rid of them.....

I bought a 650 some years ago having never reloaded before. The manual was really good so I didn't have any problems with set up. Over the years I have broken or lost a few parts that they sent me for free. When you call them they know exactly what you are talking about even it you don't know what the parts are called. I have two 650s now and don't really have any problems except where to find powder ect.

the only problem i had was the toolhead was moving a bit so my bullets were not being seated accurately. i found on ebay a guy who sells a drill bit and hex coils. now instead of just dropping in the pins to hold the toolhead i put screws in to hold it in place. works great and did not screw with my warranty.

I have had a 650 for more than 12 year. It has more than 100k run through it between my and my fiends. It has had some parts break and wear out but given the amount of use it seems reasonable. Dillon took care of me every time, even overnighting a small part before a big match. Even with small issues here and there over the years I wouldn't think of owning another brand. They are just the best, IMHO :)

I think the little things can get you. My first 550 has been cranking along after the initial tweaks. Just the occasional worn or broken plastic piece every 10-15k rounds or so but it just keeps cranking them out. I recently just bought a second 550 that had been sitting in a drawer for 20 years and it's been a pain. After a thorough cleaning/lube and making all the normal improvements (zirk fittings, new primer bar, pins, springs, etc) it's almost there but the priming system is just not quite right. Slight misalignment issues with the primer bar and toolhead make it work for 50-60 rounds and then start throwing primers. I decided last night to just take Matt up on the offer to have them go through it so I'm dropping it off at Dillon this afternoon so they can make it like my first.

In my case I think it's just something with the older gear. I've helped a few new loaders and most of the time their issues stem from just not understanding how the press works or the process. Occasionally they are just trying to move too fast. After a tweak or two to the setup and slowing them down so they understand each stage and what they should be doing their problems often go away.

Over the years I have broken or lost a few parts that they sent me for free. When you call them they know exactly what you are talking about even it you don't know what the parts are called.

I'm running the same 550 since 1986. I buy my primers a minimum of 10K at a time. I have no clue how many rounds I've loaded through the years. When something does break or wear out, its always something minor. I'll give them a call or an e-mail and they have always sent a replacement part for free. Its to the point where I feel guilty about getting free parts so I make the offer to buy the part. They have not taken me up on it.

Does anyone know if Dillon does the 550 rebuild anymore? The past 15 years of Texas Gulf Coast humidity has taken its toll. And how long would I be without my trusty press?

Thanks.

Bill

I second what "Dirty Rod" said that its they are complicated machines and they don't have the experience. Myself being a newbie (less than a year) into reloading I can attest to the machine not working "like it should". Not having a mentor thats close that I can lean on and just by getting my experience through trial and error has caused a few problems with the press. Now granted they were easy fixes and Dillon has been great with their service but they still do exist. I believe ego comes into play when folks post problems with their press and say they loaded "x" number of rounds without cause. This maybe true to some point but we all like to think were doing it correct until something goes wrong. Come to find out that the machine/accessories were compensating for inaccurate procedure or technique until they gave out. I'm guilty! I always look at the company and seeing Dillon replace a few items because of my doing says a lot about the product, not just the company but the product. Just my observation.

I have owed SD B's, 550's and 1050's, sent one 550 in for a Dillon rebuild last year. The one thing that will make me pull my hair out is when the priming system on one of my 1050's decides to take a dump. There's about a half dozen fixes I go through and then call on the reloading gods and wave a Voodoo doll around. Seems to help

Does anyone know if Dillon does the 550 rebuild anymore? The past 15 years of Texas Gulf Coast humidity has taken its toll. And how long would I be without my trusty press?

Yup. I dropped off that 20 year old press I mentioned above this afternoon for a $45 rebuild. They stated that they would probably just toss that entire primer system, springs, rods, etc and just replace it. My friend did it last year with a 1st rev 550 and he thinks they just took a new press out of the box to swap him.

Yup. I dropped off that 20 year old press I mentioned above this afternoon for a $45 rebuild. They stated that they would probably just toss that entire primer system, springs, rods, etc and just replace it. My friend did it last year with a 1st rev 550 and he thinks they just took a new press out of the box to swap him.

Any estimates on how long they will keep the press? Need to see how much ammo I need to load up before I send it in.

Thanks.

When I sent mine in I don't remember being worried about when it returned so I would say 3 weeks or less. That was before the big rush on Dillons last year so you might need to plan better

Edited by BSeevers

Thanks.

Bill

Yeah I just had my 650 rebuilt since I was in Phoenix anyway. About 2 weeks and it looks brand new. They replaced a bunch of stuff. Well worth money.

Does the number of forum threads and posts concerning problems reasonably reflect the number of problems experienced by the average Dillon user ?

As much as the number of cars at Discount tire reflects the number of flats people get.

Most people don't post when everything is great and there are no problems. How many times a year do you go to the doctor when you feel fine?

I loaded 1000 rounds the other day, start to finish load time was 51 minutes and 2 seconds, zero malfunctions. No reason to make a thread about something that is normal.

Thanks.

Bill

Yeah I just had my 650 rebuilt since I was in Phoenix anyway. About 2 weeks and it looks brand new. They replaced a bunch of stuff. Well worth money.

Yup. A week and a half is what they quoted.

My buddy who helped set mine up and has been there for questions (he has a 550 also) has run 100K through his without a hitch. I've made 4 calls in 3k to Dillon - wore out a primer bar and decap assembly loading 9mm. Dozens of stuck cases (using lube now, see if the stuck shells stop). Even one of the guys on the phone told me they had some new help hired to keep up with demand and had some problems with parts assembly (he specificially mentioned Loctite over usage by these folks). I see it paints a bigger picture of a drop in QC. They got busy and needed more help to crank out these units and quality has suffered as a result. If someone were to ask me today if they should buy new or used I'd say used. It'll be a better machine.

Customer service has been good, though it doesn't seem to measure up with what others have said. I think Dillon is feeling this pinch too.

I've made 4 calls in 3k to Dillon - wore out a primer bar and decap assembly loading 9mm. I bought a 550 5 years ago and it came with a warped primer slide. I also got a bad 9mm die. So I don't think defects are a sign of feeling the pinch. If you build enough of anything you are going to get some bad units.

Dozens of stuck cases (using lube now, see if the stuck shells stop). While it's possible to have a defect cause this I highly doubt that's the problem.

Customer service has been good, though it doesn't seem to measure up with what others have said. How so? Every time I have called about a part they confirmed my address and mailed it out that same day. If you are getting anything less than that you should let somebody at Dillon know about it because that is the norm for them.

I've been using a 550 since the mid 80's, worn out a few parts but they were replaced for free. Bought a 650 last year and set it up for lg primers and have the 550 setup for sm primers. I don't think you can go wrong with Blue...

What do consider a problem?

I'm sure there are scenarios that would baffle me for days that Jmorris can fix in his sleep.

Then I'm sure guys are calling in whom haven't even checked for tight bolts.

How do you measure?

The majority of the problems reported on this forum do not indicate so much of a problem with the machines themselves but more of a problem of people either not reading the instructions or failing to comprehend what they have read.

I have been using Dillons since before the RL450 and since then the 550, 650, and 1050 and have to feel that I have been a very lucky user in comparison.

Edited by retarmyaviator

• 1 month later...

i just got a 650 but I also up until about a month ago have never had any issues with my 550. And the only thing is the primer slide gets stuck occasionally not picking I primer but moly grease is a temp fix until I can get ahold of Dillon and get resolved.