Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Insulating a barrel for Load 2?

atomicferret

Has anyone ever tried putting something on the barrel to insulate it for the Load 2 technique? When I roll the gun over to load strong hand, my support hand ends up holding a hot barrel. I would assume that many people just wear a glove, but i don't like wearing gloves to shoot.

I was thinking of maybe trying to glue some layers of kevlar to it or something. but i don't know what kind of glue to use, or if that would even work.

Any ideas?

You could use header wrap and just clearance the forearm for it. I still got a bunch from when I used to race you are welcome to. Just look at the bike in the Benelli Ethos add and you will get the idea.

I've used the soft side of the stick on velcro for about a year now and have had no issues. If it is a really long shotgun stage and you roll it far enough to touch the rib then you will feel it, but I don't want anything on the rib.

The Current's taught me a little trick back in the day. As they did a lot of auto body work, they had molding strips......and with the 3m adhesive, it stuck to the barrel on either side of the rib and has yet to come off. You can still see down the rib and the molding is just high enough so that you barely touch the rib. No burnt hands

Tim

I havent had an issue burning my hand with either strong hand or weak hand quadloading. I may be a little more flexible and strong with my hands than some, as a Chiropractor I'm using them all day and can usually hold my own with farmers and mechanics when it comes to grip. With about everything else I've done that was like a sport....flexibility, stretching, and correct positioning seem to alleviate those issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used the soft side of the stick on velcro for about a year now and have had no issues. If it is a really long shotgun stage and you roll it far enough to touch the rib then you will feel it, but I don't want anything on the rib.

Never thought of that. Might have to try it since I have adhesive backed Velcro already. I had just been wearing a glove on my weak hand on longer stages. I load strong hand only because I broke my left wrist years ago while in the Marines. It's not bad, but I have much more dexterity with the right hand.