Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Customs

TNGrumpy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SV-COP can show you one of his many SVI guns and you will see the light.

Think about it like this - factory guns start out as a bin full of frames, a bin full of slides, a bin full of barrels. Every slide has to fit every frame and every barrel. The only way to do that is to size them based upon the highest tolerance part. Therefore everything in a bit loose. If your main concern is that it go bang every time (glock etc) then that looseness helps. If you actually want accuracy, that whole approach just goes out the window. With a custom gun, all parts are bought oversized and must be fitted by hand. That insures that everything is smooth and tight.

As for different gunsmiths charging different prices, well ask your wife why shoes at dillards are $100's of dollars and why designer shoes are $1000's. Some look different and that is what people want and they are willing to pay a premium for it. Some smiths - Akai, Bedell, etc have a reputation for their guns being ultra reliable. That also brings a premuim.

SVI is in a whole different category. You have to hold one to know what I am talking about. You will throw a factory edge on the ground when you pick it up after fondling a SV.

I don't think the cost of labor is as much of a factor as options wanted by the customer. In comparing several smiths before having my 2011 built, they were all about the same ballpark. The primary difference between them was timeline.

The difference between a custom 2011 running $2.5k and $4k could be the difference between using mostly STI parts and WC bulletproof parts. Aesthetics such as FCS, serrated flat top, French border and finish just to name a few.

Keep in mind, smiths doing full builds aren't getting rich. It's more profitable for them to spend an afternoon completing trigger jobs and flush cut barrel crowns and it is to spend a week+ on a single build.

I don't think the cost of labor is as much of a factor as options wanted by the customer. In comparing several smiths before having my 2011 built, they were all about the same ballpark. The primary difference between them was timeline.

The difference between a custom 2011 running $2.5k and $4k could be the difference between using mostly STI parts and WC bulletproof parts. Aesthetics such as FCS, serrated flat top, French border and finish just to name a few.

Keep in mind, smiths doing full builds aren't getting rich. It's more profitable for them to spend an afternoon completing trigger jobs and flush cut barrel crowns and it is to spend a week+ on a single build.

I don't build guns but I don't think it takes nearly a week for a good smith to build a gun. With all the parts on hand I'd be willing to bet one can be built in a day. Still, they are not getting rich though.

I don't know if I want a gun from a smith that claims 1 day service. =D

Think about it. With the mills and shop and all the parts. How long could it take? One day service is not what I'm talking about. It takes time to get the parts. It takes time to get a gun chromed, etc. Most of the wait involved is just the time it takes to get to your build in the line. It doesn't take SV 18 months to build a gun. It just takes that long to get one.

I don't know if I want a gun from a smith that claims 1 day service. =D

Think about it. With the mills and shop and all the parts. How long could it take? One day service is not what I'm talking about. It takes time to get the parts. It takes time to get a gun chromed, etc. Most of the wait involved is just the time it takes to get to your build in the line. It doesn't take SV 18 months to build a gun. It just takes that long to get one.
I think your point is proven by Gary. I sent my parts to Gans, 9 days later I was shooting it. Take out the 2 days for shipping and he told me he didn't work on it over the weekend. Bam 5 days to take a box of parts and turn them into a gun.

I don't build guns but I don't think it takes nearly a week for a good smith to build a gun. With all the parts on hand I'd be willing to bet one can be built in a day. Still, they are not getting rich though.

I love this comment! Nothing like someone that admittedly doesn't have a clue how to build a gun, saying how long it should take to build one. Priceless

Machine slide/frame rails, then hand lap slide and frame fit

Set up CNC machine and flat top slide.

Re-Set up CNC machine and do slide lightening/cocking serrations on one side of slide.

Re-Set up the other side of slide and lightening/cocking serrations on other side of slide.

Move slide over to end mill and do front and rear sight cuts.

Fit barrel, with includes fitting bushing, upper and lower lugs, fitting hood and timing barrel.

Now you have to chamber that barrel, as most barrels aren't aren't finished chambers, then polish chamber and feed ramp.

Machine frame for barrel.

Radius guide rod for barrel link clearance.

Set up slide stop, I've never seen this part down, but know the slide stop and link are huge in timing the gun

Fit and tune extractor, then flush it by hand with back of slide.

Fit oversized slide stop and radius bottom.

Fit ejector and flush it by hand with back of slide.

Fit trigger bow to frame/grip (SVI trigger)

Stipple and under cut grip

Blend Grip to magwell

Fit and tune thumb safeties, then blend by hand to frame.

Fit and tune grip safeties, then blend by hand to frame.

Stone sear primary and secondary angles

Polish and fit disconnector.

Stone Hammer hooks.

Now complete trigger job; adjust sear spring, check sear engagement, reset, overtravel, pretravel etc.

Instal plunger set up, sights, main spring,

Most guns come with a mag, so now you tune the mag, polish it inside and out, tune the feed lips.

Now comes the finish work, sand blast, polish etc.

Now you need to go shoot it, make sure everything is good to go; trigger, safeties, feeding, extracting, ejector etc.

Now what kind of finish do you want, hard chrome, blued etc. (Most these finishes take days to do once you start)

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, but still, every one of those things can take hours to do properly. If someone can explain how that can be done in a day, I'd love to hear it. Most true hand built custom guns are going to have 30-50 hours of work on them, depending on options, finish, machine work and the all important luck of things going together. Sometimes they go together great, sometimes they take alittle more more work.

FYI I've never built a gun, just have a little idea of what they do.

Edited by jrbet83

Wow, I've see pictures of Caspian slided Glocks...maybe that can be done in a day...but not a complete gun.

30-50 hrs sounds about right...given the breaks on parts and client preferances....just say'n

Edited by Carmine

Look at if from this point of view.....Everything at Infinity starts out as billet bar stock. So, it takes a while to fill your bin with all the parts, then you are simply waiting your turn in line for the actual build time.

Edited by SV-COP

Gary built my 2011, so I'm aquainted with short build times. As SV-COP already stated, most of the lead time is just waiting your turn in line.

I can get a complete paint job done on my car in 1 day as well, but I'd rather not.

Gary built my 2011, so I'm aquainted with short build times. As SV-COP already stated, most of the lead time is just waiting your turn in line.

I can get a complete paint job done on my car in 1 day as well, but I'd rather not.

MAACO is the bomb!!

There's no way it's going to be done in a day even if you have machines dedicated to specific tasks. And I can tell you that from experience because I've been in shops that are set up that way. In fact, I've seen pretty much everything from one man shops to full out manufacturing and nobody is building a custom 1911 from start to finish in a day. Sure, you want to slap some parts together and have something that might function, maybe. But a full custom build? No way. Not even close.

Edited by ltdmstr

I would love to say that I've seen every step, from start to finish, on my guns built at Infinity Firearms, but I haven't. I've seen probably 75% of the process, but not enough to take a chance on stepping on Brandon's toes about build times. But I can say with certainty, that if you include the machining time, the initial finishing of parts, major fitting of parts (slide/frame, barrel, etc), the actual build (fitting the finished parts into a working firearm) and then the final finish work to make it ready for delivery, there is a LOT of time involved. Much more than a day for sure.

SV-COP can show you one of his many SVI guns and you will see the light.

Think about it like this - factory guns start out as a bin full of frames, a bin full of slides, a bin full of barrels. Every slide has to fit every frame and every barrel. The only way to do that is to size them based upon the highest tolerance part. Therefore everything in a bit loose. If your main concern is that it go bang every time (glock etc) then that looseness helps. If you actually want accuracy, that whole approach just goes out the window. With a custom gun, all parts are bought oversized and must be fitted by hand. That insures that everything is smooth and tight.

As for different gunsmiths charging different prices, well ask your wife why shoes at dillards are $100's of dollars and why designer shoes are $1000's. Some look different and that is what people want and they are willing to pay a premium for it. Some smiths - Akai, Bedell, etc have a reputation for their guns being ultra reliable. That also brings a premuim.

SVI is in a whole different category. You have to hold one to know what I am talking about. You will throw a factory edge on the ground when you pick it up after fondling a SV.

I disagree with this post. STI doesn't have a bin full of parts and picks the ones that are close to one another. All STI gun parts are oversized and hand fitted.