Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Entry level 3gun AR optic?

ksf141

Just looking to get some feedback on a good entry level AR 3gun scope? I see a fair amount of the Burris 1-4x scopes (different models) and some Bushnells. What is everyones experience? Id like to get into some rifle competition but a Swarovski etc isnt in the budget yet. Under $400 would be ideal to start. Thanks in advance for your input.

The Burris MTAC 1-4x or 1.5-6x have a lot of fans. You should be able to pick one up for under $350. If you want to spend less money, check out the Primary Arms 1-6x scope. It's probably $100 less than the Burris. PA has an excellent reputation for their products and service.

Good luck

A mount is somewhere to spend a little $$$ in my opinion. Any rifle that gets thrown in a barrel 100 times needs a sturdy mount.

I like Warne, they have a lightweight version or Ramp mount. It is not too expensive and is solid as a rock.

Plus Warne is a big supporter of the sport.

Edited by Lead-Head

Weaver makes a fair entry level tactical scope. I shoot a Razor HD, which is NOT entry level, but 2 of my sponsored shooters are using the weaver and are happy with it. I shoot open class and use the Warne RAMP mount. I like how tough it is, but DANG its heavy! Next time my upper is apart it is gonna have a close encounter with the Bridgeport mill and lose about a half pound. Then it will just be heavy. :roflol:

I meant the PA 1-6. I do have a buddy that bought a sightron 1-7 and he likes it, so you might check them out as well. I want to check out the PA myself as a optic for my new Adams Arms evo ultra light upper that I won last month.

I currently shoot a tac30 I have no issues with it so far. There are some amenities that I do like abot the mtac such as the dial for the illumination opposed to the button etc. Although for the money the tac30 was tough to beat. I like the reticle but it is tougher on precise long range then hash marks

Edited by Iowashooter

I sprang for the Vortex Viper PST 1x4 and the P.E.P.R mount for my first 3 Gun rifle. I like the combo and at $590 total wasn't too hard on my wallet. I ran my first Multi Gun match a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with how they performed.

How good are your eyes? IMHO too many folks jump straight to magnified optics, which are expensive if you want real robust quality. For your $400 budget, I'd recommend buying an Aimpoint PRO (<$400 with mount) and shoot in Tactical Limited division for a while. The Aimpoint is built like a tank, and absolutely will not fail you or lose zero no matter how hard you throw it in a barrel. Provided you have normal corrected vision, with its 2MOA dot set to the right brightness you should be able to hit anything you could with a 1-4x scope, as long as the Match Director at your local match makes the effort to paint the long-range steel and put a contrasting background behind it. Give it some thought.

Edited by StealthyBlagga