Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your first IDPA match gun

JerryShoots

A Glock 19 that didn't last long in my ownership. Went to a SIG P-220 that got me classified MM in SSP. Then for a while due to financial issues my only handgun was a S&W M10 skinny barrel revolver.

All good fun.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started in 2007 with a stock Glock 19 (Gen 3) in a Crossbreed Supertuck in SSP.

Nowadays I'm running a Gen 4 Glock 17 with trigger work and afterarket sights in SSP. Using a no-name Kydex holster. I'm debating trying out a CZ SP-01 this year.

This year, my wife is starting IDPA with my original G19 ;)

Edited by ironeyes

Started shooting SSP in 2012 with a DA/SA HK P30L. Classified SS and finished in the top 5 in my first couple matches, but quickly discovered unique challenges running that platform in competition. Switched to a 5" M&P Pro 9mm, and got bumped to SSP EX in my first match with it. Over the next year with the M&P, I knocked 31 seconds off my Classifier time. Now that classifier standards for ESP and SSP are so close, I'm taking a hard look at Trojans and PM9s.

I started with a Glock 34 in 08 and shot that and a s&w ssr in esp, ssp and ssr until last year. I started shooting USPSA and was shooting a 2011 so I had a custom 9mm 2011 built for esp. I use ready tactical holsters and mag pouches. Good luck!

Member since 04/11, first match and every match for the first few years was with a Kimber CDP Pro. Just picked up a G35 to put a change in my game. I have changed holsters, mag pouches and played with the ballistics of my reloading more than anything and have a stack of holsters I have used but I always seem to come back to my carry rig, a Don Hume OWB.

SS

Edited by Systemstooge

First match was SSP with a Kel-Tec P11 using the IWB belt clip and one extra mag in my back pocket. I shot it because it was the only 9mm or larger handgun I owned that I had not yet shot in USPSA and that was only because I did not have enough magazines for it. I pretty much shoot whatever I have ammo for at the local IDPA matches SSP with various Glocks and Tanfoglios ESP with the same plus a 1911 in 38 super CDP with a 4" 1911 SSR with a 4" SW 66 have not shot ESR yet (my 625 is a 5" so too big).

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I started shooting IPDA at the age of 15 (2000) with a Ruger P94 9MM and I qualified SS at the time. I quickly moved from that to an HK USP in .40 S&W and still have that along with a STI Spartan V 1911 in .45 ACP.

Started with a Kimber 1911 in CDP and moved and stayed with a S&W M&P 9, first the 4.25, now the 9L. Still love shooting CDP, but with a Springfield Trophy Match or M&P 45.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Started at age 61 in 2011 with a Sig P-250 9mm SC. Still my carry gun. Tried a bud's XD9, moved on to a XDM 5.25 9mm which, with some mods, I still love and shoot in ESP and USPSA L-10 minor.

JD

My first was a surplus G.I. Colt that had belonged to my dad. 25 years ago, when such guns were $500 "shooters", rather than $1500 collectibles, it was common to use them as base guns for competition. Mine had pretty minimal modifications, with a match bushing, trigger job, and adjustable sights. I was using it for both IDPA CDP, and USPSA Limited (I was all tactical, with my 8-round mags and 190pf ammo).

First ESP is/was a Colt Delta Elite. Another "statement", with 8-round mags and 225pf ammo.

I bought a S&W Thunder Ranch 22 just for ESR competition.

I've never owned a gun that's legal or SSP.

Only started shooting IDPA four months ago and love it. In CDP I shot a Dan Wesson CBOB 45acp. In SSP, I shoot a M&P 9mm. (I have found out that I am much better with the 9.. so I don't shoot CPD much anymore)

My first IDPA gun was a S&W 646, carried in a Blade-Tech holster with the moonclip holders that hold just two rounds. I shot this gun in SSR Division.

Shortly thereafter, my gun became illegal for SSR Division, and my holster and moonclip holders became illegal for IDPA. So I used them for real-world carry instead.