Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 for single stack

Red Ryder

As with any blued finish in a Kydex holster not so well. A trojan is a very good gun, however Springfield Armory has introduced their Range Officer in 9 mm. Great value for the money. Add a Magwell, FO sight and skateboard tape on the front strap and you have much less invested in a trojan. Oh BTW a trojan you will still have to add a FO and a magwell. JMHO

As with any blued finish in a Kydex holster not so well. A trojan is a very good gun, however Springfield Armory has introduced their Range Officer in 9 mm. Great value for the money. Add a Magwell, FO sight and skateboard tape on the front strap and you have much less invested in a trojan. Oh BTW a trojan you will still have to add a FO and a magwell. JMHO

This. Don't forget to take a look at the DW Pointman 9. I have been really impressed with the finish on the PM.

Serious match guns don't stay nib pretty very long. Best would depend on your price range.

I had a Spartan and wore out some small parts in short order. I traded it for a s&w pro series 9mm and it was an awesome decision. Most 9mm 1911s run finicky, but the Smith has been much better than most.

If you are seriously shooting single stack you will want a 45

Edited by ambluemax

I run a 9mm Spartan with Dawson mags, 100% reliable for ~2,500 rounds so far. Magazines are a HUGE part of making 9mm reliable...that said, if you have the money, the Trojan should be awesome, if I had the extra money I would get one over the Spartan, but either should serve you well.

Like others said, the finish is the weakness, but it's a competition gun and not a safe queen...so that's a moot point IMHO.

At that price point though, I personally would get a Trojan in .40 or .45 so you'll get major PF.

And "best" is VERY subjective...for that I would go to Joe Chambers, or one of the other top-tier smiths.

Edited by polizei1

If you are planning on shooting any serious matches with a single stack gun you need to get a .40 or a 45 so you can make major. STI Trojan is a great gun and wont break the bank. I haven't done any mods to mine and it has ran great for two years now.

Edited by Prov1x

My Taurus in .38 Super shoots pretty good (although I've replaced all the fire control parts with my preferred stuff) so pretty sure the 9mm version would work also. I got mine for $538 from a dealer in Texas who lists them on another site, primarily because it was a close-out model. Prices for Taurus guns have been rising, but the quality is good and you can get it with an SS-legal rail which adds enough weight to make minor 115 gr loads seem like dry-fire with noise. You will have to save weight somewhere else (I replaced the full length guide rod with a plastic short one, and got the aluminum mainspring housing Dawson Ice gap magwell) but it comes in at 42.5 oz on my postal scale which I checked with my reloading check weights. You'll have to look for a holster, but since I ordered mine from Bladetech they now have a mold so should be no problem. Mine is in stainless so no worries about the finish wear, blued guns are cheaper but like the Trojans everyone has mentioned, it probably won't last that long. Compact Novak style sights have shot to point of aim and are surprisingly easy pick up on the draw and transitions, and leave a lot of target visible around them.

The best thing about shooting a Taurus may be the built in excuse to walk up and introduce yourself to Jessie Duff at a match and compliment her and her sponsor's guns.

The Spartan is shit, I had one for 3 long weeks , glad when it was gone

Would you mind sharing what you didn't like about it. I have been considering the Spartan as my first SS 1911.

I had a 45

The front sight is in a proprietory sight cut and of very poor quality, your option for replacement, and you will want to replace it, is dawson thats it.

the rear sight is LPA cut and not BOMAR, which angin limits your replacements.

Low quality Parkerized finish , I much prefer the blue of the Trojan/Sentry

the mainspring housing pin was drilled crooked and didn't allow for a S&A magwell to sit properly

Overall quality and fitment was poor, bushing loose, barrell hood loose, Mainspring housing tight.

MIne has a 45 but , in the 9mm it's not a ramped barrell where in the trojan it is.

The Trojan cost about 30% more but has far more value.

I recently got a Dawson STI Trojan CRP in 9mm and love it. While some have suggested .40 cal I rather shoot 9mm. Sure .40cal lets you shoot major, but if you are accurate there is not much advantage to that and 9mm gives you 10 rounds rather than 8 rounds.

11455583516_c9947e02d4_c_d.jpg

The Spartan is shit, I had one for 3 long weeks , glad when it was gone

Would you mind sharing what you didn't like about it. I have been considering the Spartan as my first SS 1911.

I had a 45

The front sight is in a proprietory sight cut and of very poor quality, your option for replacement, and you will want to replace it, is dawson thats it.

the rear sight is LPA cut and not BOMAR, which angin limits your replacements.

Low quality Parkerized finish , I much prefer the blue of the Trojan/Sentry

the mainspring housing pin was drilled crooked and didn't allow for a S&A magwell to sit properly

Overall quality and fitment was poor, bushing loose, barrell hood loose, Mainspring housing tight.

MIne has a 45 but , in the 9mm it's not a ramped barrell where in the trojan it is.

The Trojan cost about 30% more but has far more value.

Thanks for the additional information. I'll look at a Trojan instead.

Had the exact opposite results with the Spartan. Mine is the 9mm and the fit in the gun is very good and locks up solid and is a very smooth running gun. I swapped the front sight with a slimmer one due to preference. The sight cut is proprietary but Dawson is making the replacements not some no name company and most people use the Dawson sights anyway so I don't see that as a disadvantage. It does have an lpa sight over a bomar. I actually prefer the nice deep notch the factory sight provides as it's much deeper than the bomar sights etc which I like as I pick the front up faster. The finish is a little weak as a park finish but the bluing on the Trojan isn't great either and wears fast so it's not a big deal. I haven't had trouble with the nonramped barrel as mine feeds fine without it. Mine is now setup the way I want it with the Dawson front sight and magwell, mag release with Ed brown button vz grips trigger job and skate tape on front strap(not a fan of the Trojans front strap finish little traction) The cost of the gun ready to race came in less than a box stock Trojan which would still need work Run the Tripp, Dawson, and Springfield mags in it and they all run fine

My experience with my 9mm Spartan has been the same as EKU's. I added a Dawson maxwell, Brown ambi, skateboard tape, & run Dawson mags. Perfect running gun. I just ordered a Briley aluminum guide rod to make weight, & have a Dawson .100 FO front I need to install. I prefer the non ramped barrel, after all its a minor PF gun.