It happened,....S&W 929 8 Shot 9mm Revolver

alecmc

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am with pyrrhic3gun, would like to know who the distrubitor is?

Tom

I see it listed from more than one distributor, I believe it to be a standard Performance center gun, rather than a distributor exclusive!

Names for distributors to check with?

Thanks

Tom

Appear to be standard Performance Center production...

SMIT PC 986 9mm 5" S MFG # 178055

SMIT PC 929 9mm 6.5" S MFG # 170341

Both models are standard Performance Center offerings. All S&W distributors will have the opportunity to order these models.

Got me curious.

What/where is the BLUE forum?

I found my first 27-7 there on the BLUE forum. I had to promise the seller It would remain a safe queen and I that I would never pull back the hammer or open the cylinder. I obliged as long as I could. Upon my 10 day cool off period ending, I sent it straight to Apex for a Ti cylinder, sights, hammer, and strain screw lock.

The one on the left is my wife's guns and she has never been more happy. As far as lying to the purists on the BLUE forum....Meh! I'm over it. I am looking forward to add some 929's to my collection of ICORE revolvers.

IMG_20130717_183559_555_0.jpg

Edited by Ty Hamby

If I send it off to get machine work, I typically ask them to do it. (3 guns so far). You are right nothing wrong with trimming strain screws down and seating them. I have a micro baggie full of failed (too short) screws to prove it. Any secrets on getting it right the first time you wish to share?

If I send it off to get machine work, I typically ask them to do it. (3 guns so far). You are right nothing wrong with trimming strain screws down and seating them. I have a micro baggie full of failed (too short) screws to prove it. Any secrets on getting it right the first time you wish to share?

1) Install unmolested strain screw

2) Test, test and test.

3) Once setting is established screw it in counting the turns to bottom.

4) Remove and measure length of screw

5) Calculate the distance that it took to bottom the screw using the thread pitch. 32 threads per inch example:

1" / 32 tpi = .03125" pitch; so if it took 1 1/4 turns to bottom you have 1.25 * .03125 = .039" to file off

6) Reinstall screw with lock-tite

7) Done...

Edited by Shadowrider

Shouldn't we be arguing how this is all to help Jerry and now no one will ever beat him?? :-} Sorry, had to say that.

I'm hoping we are going to see this at the SHOT Show. My assumption is that this model is simply a Ti cylinder with 9 chambers, about the same length as the old super's with a barrel that looks exactly the same in profile, albeit longer. All that will be awesome as long as it actually ejects empties well and has no set back problem. I don't even care what the barrel diameter is, just hope the cylinder throats, or whatever that should be called is tight.

If my experience with shooting 9mm in the super is any indication, it will shoot fine with a number of bullet options. The trigger out of the box is going to have to be heavy. It's got to have a good chance of firing a large variety of factory and surplus ammo as delivered. This won't really matter to any of us as we will most likely be loading federal primers seated deep and lightening springs and doing trigger jobs anyway.

This thing has been in the works for a very long time and I surmise that the new USPSA ruling had a LOT to do with it's finally being introduced. It was the logical thing to do. 9 is the most popular centerfire pistol cartridge in the world and it will be awesome for USPSA minor. I'm hoping to ghet one before the Nationals..... I really like the way my Ti .45 cylinders made the triggers feel and have always wished the supers was lighter. May be getting just what I wanted.

Hope i'll be able to eventually get the cylinder alone so I can re-barrel and re-cylinder any .357 8 shooters I may have. Exciting!!

Just noticing that the hammer looks a tad different than the hammers I have in my 327 and 625 (before chopping). I wonder if they changed it for this model or is that just the new design and my guns were just made awhile ago?

I don't even care what the barrel diameter is, just hope the cylinder throats, or whatever that should be called is tight.

If my experience with shooting 9mm in the super is any indication, it will shoot fine with a number of bullet options.

When we experimented with running 9mms through our 627-4 .38 Supers (mine was sold years ago), we had decent results with heavy bullets, presumably due to their longer bearing surface. Lighter-bullet 9mm loads? Not so much.

The real advantage of the 9mm 8-shot concept would be to use cheap factory 9mm ammo.....like WWB, for example. And for that, we need properly-dimensioned (.355) barrels.

Or so it seems to me.

Both models are standard Performance Center offerings. All S&W distributors will have the opportunity to order these models.

That's weird one is a 986 the other 929? Is the 986 a 7 shot L Frame? Or are both of these 8 shot N frames?

That's weird one is a 986 the other 929? Is the 986 a 7 shot L Frame? Or are both of these 8 shot N frames?

one is an 8 shot N frame, the other is a 7 Shot L Frame

I spent a long time working with shortcolts in a .38super gun. It worked great. One thing that excited me more than anything was the fact that nothing loaded faster than short colts contained by hearthcos in a .38super cylinder....Nothing! It was as if a magnet pulled them in.

There were problems though. One problem is once form fired in the .38super chambered cylinder even a Lee U die struggled to return the over bulged base back to .38special size reliable or easily. This lead to short colt cases that some did or didn't fall completely into .38special reliable enough to depend on. In other words, in my experience it took 2 sizing dies and an extra step to use short colts in both super and special chambered cylinders concurrently. This also overworked the brass.

However, here is where it gets exciting. Since all my 38special chambered cylinders currently use .900 length special brass, I have thousands of unused short colts to form fire in a 9mm chamber creating 9mm rimmed brass that combined with hearthcos should prove to be the crème de la crème for 9mm moonclip loading.

I cant be more excited.

Now which bullet diameter I use in the rimmed 9mm form fired cases will depend on what barrel Smith and Wesson decides to use. Either way makes no difference to me cause I reload 9mm and am setup with tons of load data for 170's. Bear Creek Molly Bullets sells their 170's in both diameters .356 and .358. YMMV.

Edited by Ty Hamby

I don't even care what the barrel diameter is, just hope the cylinder throats, or whatever that should be called is tight.

If my experience with shooting 9mm in the super is any indication, it will shoot fine with a number of bullet options.

When we experimented with running 9mms through our 627-4 .38 Supers (mine was sold years ago), we had decent results with heavy bullets, presumably due to their longer bearing surface. Lighter-bullet 9mm loads? Not so much.

The real advantage of the 9mm 8-shot concept would be to use cheap factory 9mm ammo.....like WWB, for example. And for that, we need properly-dimensioned (.355) barrels.

Or so it seems to me.

I quess it would be too much to ask for 1/32 barrel twist :closedeyes:

Tom