Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

May start tumbling loaded rounds to find loose primers

austex

Had a bizarre malfunction during a match today. Engaging a target, first shot OK, second shot "click." Racked the slide, round ejected, but then "click" again. Tap-rack, another "click." Dropped the mag, reloaded, and went on with the stage. Afterward, came back to the mag and found the ejected round.

Apparently, a primer fell out of a round as it was chambering. It jammed the bullet below into the mag!

Out of 40K or more reloads, I've had maybe 2 or 3 loaded rounds with loose primers make it into QCed boxes ready for a match. But after today, I may tumble loaded rounds a while to make sure it doesn't happen again.

post-13697-0-21035300-1387766204_thumb.j

Edited by austex

those 9mm pockets eventually get loose especially after loading them to MAJOR PF. I load 9MAJOR and I too can feel when the pockets start getting looser. I tumble mine anyway but the only time I caught one falling out was when I stored them in ziplock bags and all the jostling made one fall out.

Yeah thats first time I have ever heard of a primer just falling out of a case. Not sure I would tumble loaded rounds!

How do you think we get those nice shiny factory rounds?

I've tumbled to remove case lube for maybe 80,000 rounds, haven't shot my tumbler yet.

Edited by BillD

I shoot 9mm MINOR.. was shooting a practice match & on an ejected round to "unload & show clear" I found that round the primer had fallen out .. i always de-prime all my brass on a RCBS rock chucker press before tumbling... and when i notice a brass that de-primes easily.. i discard that brass.. but evidently i missed that one.. from now on i will pay more attention to my de-priming..

I shoot 9mm MINOR.. was shooting a practice match & on an ejected round to "unload & show clear" I found that round the primer had fallen out .. i always de-prime all my brass on a RCBS rock chucker press before tumbling... and when i notice a brass that de-primes easily.. i discard that brass.. but evidently i missed that one.. from now on i will pay more attention to my de-priming..

cecil

Maybe missed the priming step. just a thought

No problem with tumbling loaded ammo. Like others, I do it to remove case lube, etc. As for finding missing primers, why not just put the ammo in MTM or similar case and give it quick look? Should be easy enough to spot.

seems like primers sometimes have to be jarred pretty good to get them to fall out. Putting them in an ammo box only says they are in there from loading. Recoil will pop them out which is how they end up jamming up guns and mags. Tumbling should expose loose primers before they ever make it to the mag.

I think it's more likely you missed priming a few. If you are not using carbide dies then get one and do without the lube. I have missed priming some too. I have never had a primer come out of a .223 case in the tumbler full of loaded ammo. 9mm major is hot but.....

After firing some .45 cases until you couldn't read the headstamp, I've never had this happen to me. Is this a 9mm Major thing?

My bad, I see the minor mentioned up above.

Edited by BillD

I also shoot 9 Major in nickel cases and have had primers jar loose in the magazine. For a majority of the time I find that Speer cases are the worst. For matches I've gone to new brass.

6.6 grains of Winchester AutoComp under a 124 / 125 grain Montana Gold hollow point at ~170 power factor.

It's still a PITA when it happens in practice.

BC

cecil

Maybe missed the priming step. just a thought

I don't think I missed the priming step .. I case gauge EVERY ROUND.. i would have found any un-primed round..

I haven't done so but know a couple guys who place their ammo in their ammo box, bullet down, and dab nail polish on the primers.

Quick wipe before it dries and it creates a ring/seal around the primer and removes all excess.

Essentially gluing them in place.

I may give it a shot at some point.

I run into loose primer pockets in 9mm brass frequently. I load on a 650, so I usually catch them by feel when loading. Occasionally, I miss one, only to find it at a match when I'm loading magazines. Tumbling after loading might just a good way to prevent the problem.

I run into loose primer pockets in 9mm brass frequently. I load on a 650, so I usually catch them by feel when loading. Occasionally, I miss one, only to find it at a match when I'm loading magazines. Tumbling after loading might just a good way to prevent the problem.

Are you loading for major power factor, too? I'm curious because I've never had the problem with primers coming out, but I've only loaded minor. Seems like I would have had at least one come out over the years since I use range brass, and I'm sure I've picked up some brass along the way that's been reloaded at major power factor, or have I just been lucky.

So far, seems like it's the 9mm major crowd that's having the problem.

Edited by grapemeister

If the primers are seated and coming out due to recoil, I doubt tumbling is going to do the job. Have you tried rolling in Case Pro?

I started Case Pro ing all my brass. I have noticed a significant decline in loose primer pockets with all the "open" range brass that I pick up.