Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad reloads

Norther

Okay, not sure this qualifies as a match screwup, and squibs really aren't anything new, but I never saw one like this so I had to post the pic.

Local match yesterday, the shooter was having keyholing also. This squib was his second in two stages. The bullet is protruding from the muzzle.

post-33729-0-23553000-1387123414_thumb.j

Edited by six-gun shooter

Perhaps he's just "happy to see you". :devil:

lmao!

So what causes squibs anyway? Is there some sort of a leak or something, or does the round have to be just way under powered. Forgive me, i am still new and learning.

A squib load generally happens when the cartridge (the whole unit consisting of brass, powder, primer, and bullet) has no powder. Just the primer goes off, causing the bullet to come out of the casing, but not get all the way out the barrel. If a shooter doesn't realize they just had a squib load, and put another round on the chamber, the whole gun can blow up in the shooter's hand.

Usually squib loads do NOT come out of a factory, but off the bench of a reloader who wasn't paying as much attention as perhaps they should have been.

The squibs I've seen, the bullet doesn't make it to the end of the barrel - usually

lodges a 1/2 inch forward of the chamber - that is with NO powder.

Seems to me, to make it to the end of the barrel (and protrude a bit) might have

had SOME powder, but not much, or an undersized bullet??

You have to be aware when your subconscious brain screams out that something is wrong. The gun will simply sound and feel and operate different enough that you need to stop and check things out.

On a stage, I'd be just a little bit concerned that I'd just tap-rack-BOOM! If your body responds to a mis-fire-y-feeling event by quickly cycling in a new round before your brain realizes that you actually did hear a small bang, you may be in trouble.

I was standing behind a shooter that had a squib load at a match once. It was very obvious to me and the RO what had just happend by the small bang that it made and the slide did not cycle. The RO thankfully stopped the shooter before he could fire another shot. The guy was using Tula ammo.

I had a full on squib at a USPSA match a couple of years ago.  It was all on me as it was one of my reloaded .40 S&W cartridges.  Had no powder and the bullet was lightly stuck in the barrel.  The RO yelled "STOP" and I went and pounded it out.  Funny thing, I had just bought and placed a squib rod in my range bag.  Last month I had a pseudo-squib and stopped myself during a USPSA stage. It felt and sounded light but apparently had enough powder to clear the barrel. As I was only a few targets into the stage and it was a club level match I go a do-over. I would have stopped either way, one stage is not worth a ruined barrel/gun/right hand.

• 2 months later...

This is something that I have worried about at times. When practicing, even just drills under a timer, if I have a squib in the middle of a string, shooting by myself, would I have the wherewithal to prevent pulling the trigger in time. I'd like to think I would, but I I'll never know unless it happens. As I get more experienced, will I be more or less likely to stop when this happens I wonder. With any luck, I won't ever find out!

I have experienced one squib round, I was by myself shooting steel and was about halfway through a 10 round drill when it happened. What got me was the sound it made a weird "pop" with no recoil and luckily I stopped and took it apart. Ever since then when I'm shooting and something doesn't sound or feel quite right I stop, take the pistol apart and double check. Only done it a few times but I would rather be overly cautious then lose a finger.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This is something that I have worried about at times. When practicing, even just drills under a timer, if I have a squib in the middle of a string, shooting by myself, would I have the wherewithal to prevent pulling the trigger in time. I'd like to think I would, but I I'll never know unless it happens. As I get more experienced, will I be more or less likely to stop when this happens I wonder. With any luck, I won't ever find out!

I personally haven't seen a squib that still cycles the gun.

Not that it can't happen, but you still have to feed another round into the chamber.

As a new shooter and new reloader in September, I was very fortunate that the slide never completely closed after my one and only squib. Because....well, I tried my darnedest to make go-boom once or twice after. v e r y g o o d learning experience for me.

I had two squibs out of my first 100 rounds that I ever made on my 650. I haven't ever seen nor heard of a squib and thank god someone experienced was with me at the range and knew what was happening. Both times we went to the ro station and got it cleared. I havent made a squib since then. :goof: