Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What division to start in

GunBandit

I am going to get started in USPSA once the season kicks back up in March and wanted to see what you all thought about the division to start in. I currently have an XD45 that I will probably go with becuase I really like to shoot it. Other options are a Ruger P85 MkII that I actually shot in a match some 15 plus years ago, or a G23. Like I said I'm leaning toward the XD45 but I'm at a crossroads for which division to shoot.

I figured one of two:

Production where I will be somewhat handicapped because it is more of a minor power factor game. Other than that it is all good.

L10 where I will have the benefit of major power factor scoring and can still use downloaded mags to meet the 10 round requirement. Disadvantage may be against racier guns and maybe other factors I'm not seeing right now.

I really don't care which because I just want to shoot.

I have been looking at G17/34, XD/XDm9's and M&P 9's but can get into the action cheaper with my current gun a couple more mags (have 4 already) and some mag holders.

So any thoughts or pointers?

Also any good ideas for mag holders for the XD45? They're out there but harder to find than 9/40's.

If you have the money I always tell people to start in Limited or Open... But if you will be using XD45... i would steer you to production...

Do you reload? if not, 9mm will always be cheaper than 45....

No handicap in shooting production since everyone will be shooting minor...

Also, no disadvantage in competing in L10 due to racier guns... it's always the shooter and not the gun...

Any bladetech competition pack holster and mag pouch will get you by until you really realize which equipment works for you...

In production everyone is scored minor and you only compete against other production shooters so there's no disadvantage. Instead of investing in another pistol perhaps invest in some reloading equipment. I assume you don't reload now. If you got into reloading you could come up with a nice minor power factor load for production and then another load for shooting L10 should you decide to move to that division.

I appreciate the feedback thus far. I may have misspoke a little when I said, "Production where I will be somewhat handicapped because it is more of a minor power factor game.", I have just seen on here that people say it is better to run a minor gun in production so you don't have to deal with major PF recoil etc. I'm ok with doing that, but I figured I may be better off in L10 since I would be shooting a major PF pistol.

I do reload but right now it is on a single stage press. Doable, but not as easily as a Dillon. I will be reloading as much as possible though. And will probably get a Dillon eventually.

Nothing wrong with reloading on a single stage press. That's what I use. I just work in small batches. Instead of going out and loading 400-500 I go out and load 100-300. I enjoy it but I'm an odd ball because I also enjoy shooting a revolver :). Good luck with whatever direction you decide to follow.

I appreciate the feedback thus far. I may have misspoke a little when I said, "Production where I will be somewhat handicapped because it is more of a minor power factor game.", I have just seen on here that people say it is better to run a minor gun in production so you don't have to deal with major PF recoil etc. I'm ok with doing that, but I figured I may be better off in L10 since I would be shooting a major PF pistol.

I do reload but right now it is on a single stage press. Doable, but not as easily as a Dillon. I will be reloading as much as possible though. And will probably get a Dillon eventually.

i haven't shot any minor 45, but i can tell you that minor 40 shoots softer and easier for me than minor 9mm. I get 40 brass for free so i shoot 40 in production. it might worth downloading some 45's to minor specs to see what you think.

Around here, most people who shoot L10 regularly are either folks that have 1911's but dont want to go to 8 rounds in singlestack, or are LEO's shooting their duty guns with duty ammo. They don't have enough capacity to make limited worthwhile, so they just get extra practice reloading and shoot 10round mags.

So imho, either producion or l10 would be a good choice for the pistol you have, and after a few matches you'll start to get a better idea of what looks like the most fun for you in the long term. I always recommend shooting a couple matches with whatever you have, borrowing mag pouches and/or mags if needed before spending a bunch of money.

Edited by motosapiens

Thanks ZackJones. I'll keep plugging away with the single stage. Revo is cool. I'm a little intimidated with the speedloads though. Love shooting them but I don't know how well I would do it. A guy i worked with offered to let me use his 625 and loaders to give it a whirl. I may have to some time.

I may have to try to download some a little for production and see if they cycle ok. If not I may have to change the recoil spring and see what happens.

Thanks ZackJones. I'll keep plugging away with the single stage. Revo is cool. I'm a little intimidated with the speedloads though. Love shooting them but I don't know how well I would do it. A guy i worked with offered to let me use his 625 and loaders to give it a whirl. I may have to some time.

I may have to try to download some a little for production and see if they cycle ok. If not I may have to change the recoil spring and see what happens.

i'd be surprised if you didn't have to change the recoil springs, but recoil springs for many guns are pretty cheap, like $5-7.

L10, I was in the same boat two years ago. The great thing about L10 you can shoot major pf you get the reload practice much needed by new shooters and with only a couple small mods you're competitive. I put a good trigger in, tungsten guide rod and sights and you're ready to go. People often say it's the Indian not the bow which I agree, but as a new shooter having a gun that you feel competitive with helps the mental game.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

How about just shooting limited with whichever gun you are most comfortable with and topping the mags off?

Loading to 10 rounds when you are just getting into things and looking to have fun is getting ahead of yourself amigo..

I remember doing that and hating it.

I really like shooting the revolver these days. The 625 is a great revolver. I'd give it a try one day just to see how you like shooting it. I see you've gotten lots of good advice you really can't go wrong with either division (production or L10). Just jump in and start shooting!

How about just shooting limited with whichever gun you are most comfortable with and topping the mags off?

Loading to 10 rounds when you are just getting into things and looking to have fun is getting ahead of yourself amigo..

If you take into account the firearm he is using and the fact it holds 13 round per mag, that really dosent provide him room to "reload at will" which is what limited/open shooters do during stages. He will run to slide lock during his second group of targets and have a standing reload. L10 seems to be the route to go for now till he finds a division he likes.

If you are looking at Glocks, then you should look for a G22/35. You can shoot these in Production, L10 and Limited in both major and minor PFs. Should you decide to shoot in Open, you can convert it cheap and easy! Magazines, holsters and mag pouches are available all over the place. If it were me, I would go with a G35. It has a lot of the mods you would want on a competition gun. ie. adjustable sights, 3.5 lb trigger, extended mag release.

Welcome back to competition!

Doug

I appreciate all of the input. I will more than likely shoot L10 to start out and will probably try production also. I don't know that it will differ a lot in my scores but we'll see. I would like be as competitive as I can, but I know I have some learning to do too.

Doug S I've been looking at the G34 and G35 too. It will be a tough decision when I decide to buy a new pistol.

If you take into account the firearm he is using and the fact it holds 13 round per mag, that really dosent provide him room to "reload at will" which is what limited/open shooters do during stages. He will run to slide lock during his second group of targets and have a standing reload. L10 seems to be the route to go for now till he finds a division he likes.

Second group of targets?

If you have a XD .45 that you like, why complicate things? Down load the mags and shoot it in L10. And, after you have some USPSA experience under your belt you'll be better able to choose the platforms that allow you to compete in other divisions.

But, get some experience first. Use the gun you have, and learn the game before you open your wallet.

The XD .45 is very competitive in L10.

If you have the money I always tell people to start in Limited or Open... But if you will be using XD45... i would steer you to production...

Do you reload? if not, 9mm will always be cheaper than 45....

No handicap in shooting production since everyone will be shooting minor...

Also, no disadvantage in competing in L10 due to racier guns... it's always the shooter and not the gun...

Any bladetech competition pack holster and mag pouch will get you by until you really realize which equipment works for you...

There is a handicap in Production shooting an XDM45...it's called recoil and ammo expense...unless you reload and can load 45's really soft...