Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks for M/GM shooters

tightloop

I know I will probably get struck by lightning for asking, me being an old 1911 shooter, but was wondering about the pistols used by the Glock shooters who frequent this forum and specifically the M and GM rated shooters....what have you done to yours that makes it special, that helps you win with it, makes it reliable, have a good trigger.....etc...you get the idea..

I am sure I could gleen this info from the Glocktalk forum, but I'd rather not..thinking of building a Production piece and what is the hot ticket...Jake, Flex, MMink, and anyone else.....Glock Lady....

Never too old to learn and possibly convert...lol B)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start with Glock 34:

- Heinie Slant Pro rear sight with rear notch widened to preference.

- Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight.

- Home trigger job using stock parts plus Wolff reduced power firing pin spring. See FAQ for my previous post on this topic. I might consider using the Lone Wolf overtravel stop if I was doing a new trigger job. With an overtravel stop the Glock can be setup with a reset close to a 1911.

- Your metal guiderod of choice with reduced power recoil spring to match your favorite loads. The 13 lb ISMI spring is a good starting point when used with standard capacity magazines.

- Bevel sharp corners of magazine release.

- Bevel sharp edges of magazine well, especially up front in the in the "corners" of the circular cut-out for stripping out a stuck magazine. I use a clean, dry cotton buffing wheel on a dremel tool to "polish" away the sharp edges. The buff does remove material so be carefull.

- If the barrel doesn't shoot well, replace with KKM, Jarvis, or Barsto replacement barrel.

Get some good snap caps like A-Zoom and dry fire a lot to get used to the Glock trigger pull and reset. Shoot a bunch of groups off of the bench to learn the trigger under ideal live fire conditions. This will help with the trigger.

Also perform drills to get the grip angle down. This effects finding the sights and the "point" of the gun as well as how the magwell is angled for the reloads. Both of these areas will require adjustment when coming from a 1911.

I've gone back and forth multiple times from the 1911 to the Glock and once you've got the Glock down the first time it's not too bad. It's all the work to do it the first time that is challenging.

I'm a D class production shooter shooter, who recently went to the darkside. However, my production G17 has a Dawson FO front sight and rear sight, and a Vanek trigger job, no other mods, it shoots great.

What makes my Glocks great (most other Glocks too) is that they always run.

Both my 35's wear Heine standard sights and are fitted Seattle slugs. And that's IT!

No polish, adjustment or other modifcation.

On most days I can keep up with my fellow Master Limited shooters.

I have since returned to SS 1911's for Heavy Metal class.

PK

What makes my Glocks great (most other Glocks too) is that they always run.

Amen, Brother Patrick! Fix them with more ammo.

E

(Whose only hope of beating Pat in a match is that someone surreptitiously welds sights onto his Argentinian 45).

I'm not in the M or GM catagory, but have given them a little sweat. :ph34r:

You can't really make a Glock more reliable. (100% reliability is tough to beat). ;)

I would suggest taking the gun apart after firing about 50 rounds. Get ya some Flitz and polish the connector & trigger bar (mechanism) to a bright finish. Look for any other parts that show metal to metal wear and polish them too.

You can also cut a few coils off the striker springs. I tried the reduce spring but had a miss fire and went with this method.

You can also get an after market guide rod to use a reduced recoil spring (12-14 lb).

I shoot a G22 in LTD.

I like the things most people hate on a Glock:

* Hi Viz front sight, Glock adjustable rear,

* Stock striker spring,

* polished 5 lbs connector,

* kydex holster.

I also use a tungston guide rod underneath a 13 lbs ISMI spring with 2 coils cut off. Arredondo basepads, Glock followers and ISMI springs.

If someone where to hand me a stock Glock (17/34/22/35) today...

(and I wanted to keep it USPSA Production legal)

• ensure it had a Glock extended mag release
  • ensure it did NOT have an exteneded slide release
  • EricW's grip tape
  • Heinie Slant Pro rear sight
  • Heinie Slant Pro front sigt thinned down to 0.115 (from stock of 0.125)...or, I might try a Dawson FO , and sight black it out as needed
  • polish the feed ramp (cleans easier, looks cool)
  • cheap, do it yourself trigger job (as posted in the FAQ's)
  • get an ISMI captured stainless rod from ISMI (not Brownell's) and a few lighter springs to play with...or...
  • some might like a tungsten rod better (note: I still use a stock rod and spring)
  • paint the "barber poll" on the inside of the mag opening as a visual cue

G20 with a cheap-ass federal arms drop-in .40 bbl

Ghost connector, lightening strike reduced weight striker (steel), Wolffe reduced power striker spring and slight metal removal from the trigger bar to facilitate earlier release from the striker (minimum overtravel). ISMI 13# spring and tungsten guide-rod. The Bomar's that hang 1" off th rear adds a neat eye-catching touch as does the ugly-ass Brownell's spray-on oven-bake teflon-moly finish (silver color) to finish the deal.

Runs great. :P really!

I can't believe I forgot to mention Eric's grip tape. A must have on a competition gun.

http://www.ericwesselman.com/store/Glock.html

Looks good and work's great.

I also agree with Flex's post about the wanting the extended mag release and not wanting the extended slide release. Coming from a 1911 you are quite likely to hold that extended slide release down. I know I did. Switching to a standard release helped.

-Vincent

The G20 with the 40 barrel is a heck of a cheater gun. B) Soft shooting, likely the best feeling trigger going (I had to add trigger weight back onto the one my gf uses), lowest felt recoil...

A little tough to reach the mag release...reloads/mag opening are a bit "blocky" I think (though I don't have a lot of time on them to judge).

The G20 would be a top option for Limited if I didn't already have time in my the G35. It isn't legal (with the 40 barrel) for Production, however. :(

Not quite master yet but close.

Trigger job done by me following the above links. and dawson fiber optic sights, good holster/mag pouches is a MUST. and lots of skate tape :-) Metal guide rod if your not shooting IDPA SSP it's ok for ESP

I have found glocks to have more recoil than a lot of the other produciton guns out there in my experience. most of the weight is the reciprocating mass.

and as always with wolf spring i run federal primers. and Zero 147's unless i have an aftermarket bbl Glock bbl's hate lead.

just an A class shooter but here goes.

milled in Bomar, FO front, stainless guide rod. polished trigger parts and just but on a brass magwell. as i wanted to add some weight because my wrist has been hurting a lot. and a beaver tail because my fat hand gets rubbed by the slide.

TL,

I shot a 2nd gen G22 all year, just because. I tried a friend's 35 and didn't really like it, just because. My duty gun is a 22 (not the same one, of course) and maybe I just like familiar things...

Here's my set up:

-Heinie slant pro's, .105" thinned front

-Standard slide catch

-Factory extended mag catch (it's important that you "wear" down the edges. I'd say radius the corners, but that would be an external modification. If it's wear, it's O.K. ;) )

-13lb Wolffe recoil spring

-Harts guide rod (because I had it laying around, If I had to buy a rod, it would be a tungston one)

-stock barrel, polished feed ramp

-Lightning Strike Ti striker and safety plunger, Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector, reduced power striker spring, and all surfaces polished.

-Skateboard tape (although I would like to try the A-grip stuff)

Hope you've been inspired. :lol:

Regards,

Todd

My Glock 17's are currently set up for IPSC Production Division and will stay that way till after the World but here goes:

Glock 17 FGR frame

Heine sights

Eric W grip tape

Factory Ext. Mag release

Factory Std. Slide lock

One came with a 5 1/2 pound pull from the factory so that is unmodified. The other has a Custom Glock Racing polished 5 lb connector.

For when I switch back into USPSA mode I have the Dawson FO front sights that mate up with the Heine rear and I'll get a trigger done from either Yanek or a drop in Dale Rhea trigger.

The responses have been great. Have a Gen I mod 17 that I can use, but really like the longer sight radius of the mod 34's... My 17 has a nice trigger done by John McNally, but plan on adding an overtravel stop so the reset is more like the 1911...Need to get some of Eric's tape, a tungsten rod, work out the kinks on getting the mags to fall without fail, and a Dawson FO front sight, already have the Slant Pros on the rear...

The hardest part of Glock for me is the long takeup B4 the shot breaks and the trigger prep needed shot to shot..any thoughts on that, or just lots of dry fire and range time to get it done?

You guys don;t stop now..this is getting good. :P

I'm no GM just recently classified as Class B shooter. I replaced my G17's sights with meprolights since its also my carry gun. I fashioned a pair of decals from 3M's skid tape.