Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti edge vs eagle

airborne101

I am currently shooting m&p 4.25 in 9mm. I mostly shoot 3 gun and shoot the m&p very well. I am thinking of switching to an sti but don't know if the edge or eagle would be better has anyone made this switch.

Edited by airborne101

One big advantage to M&P, Glock, XD etc in 3 gun is the passive safety, when dumping the handgun. 2011/1911 have been known to have a their safety "wiped" off when abandoning. There is a thread somewhere around with a spring being added to 2011 pistol for 3 gun so it stays "on".

Just my 2 cents.

you may get more benefit (at least initially) going to an M&P long/pro set up for 3 gun. I'm actually thinking about going from my 6" custom 2011 to one because of the passive safety situation. If you already like the platform and have gear for it, a 5" version with apex trigger parts and a few mag extensions will take you pretty far. The fear of a safety violation DQ at major matches makes sure I dump the mag and fire or clear before I dump it, which takes a second but makes sure I don't go home early. It's never cost me a match, but I'm not in the ton bracket either.

I've used both, but settled on the short dust cover with a bull barrel and tungsten guide rod when I had mine built by Matt Cheely.

Also put a brass magwell on it to put a little more weight below the grip.

I never really liked the balance of the Edge.

BUt, I'm sure if I shot with one regularly, I'd be fine with it.

I'm sure you will be happy whichever way you go.

One big advantage to M&P, Glock, XD etc in 3 gun is the passive safety, when dumping the handgun. 2011/1911 have been known to have a their safety "wiped" off when abandoning. There is a thread somewhere around with a spring being added to 2011 pistol for 3 gun so it stays "on".

Just my 2 cents.

I would agree its an advantage however a very small one. You just have to take an extra half second to set the gun down on safe vs throwing it in the bucket. Never had an issue with this. I think its worth it to have a 2011 for the better accuracy and trigger pull. To each his own.

pat

I ended up with an bushing barrel Eagle and Tungsten guide rod. Picked it up used from another Forum member. I have been very happy with it. No comparison to the Glock I had been using.

I personally always preferred the look of the short dust cover. As others have said, I don't think you could go wrong either way. If I were having one built I would probably go bull barrel and short dust cover.

If youre going to build one get a hybrid, long dust cover like the edge but cut down a little bit. Its longer than a short dust cover and shorter than a long dust cover. and i personally think it looks better too. Thats what i am having built by mcg.