Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appendix Carry?

cheers623

Alright, my search-fu sucks...tried and failed.

Are appendix holsters legal in USPSA and/or IDPA? If yes, what divisions. Thanks,

Cheers623

Keep in mind, though, that appendix carry makes the angle that you draw from much closer to 180 to your weak side than a standard carry. You have to be very wary of start positions that have you turned toward your weak side to keep from breaking 180 during the draw.

Appendix holsters are not legal in IDPA. They specify strong side holsters and even under the new rules you can't have gear that far forward on your belt. Most SO's would hate them anyway, it's impossible to see what someone's doing when they reholster in front of you so it's not exactly considered safe for match use.

Appendix holsters are not legal in IDPA. They specify strong side holsters and even under the new rules you can't have gear that far forward on your belt. Most SO's would hate them anyway, it's impossible to see what someone's doing when they reholster in front of you so it's not exactly considered safe for match use.

Fortunately it's safe and legal in Limited, L10 or open divisions in uspsa, and uspsa RO's can see what someone is doing when they reholster in front of them.

How would that be "impossible?" When the guy shows you a clear gun, stand next to him and look down.

Thanks for the replies. I'm not against it but run a local indoor match where the range rules don't allow their use. As long as they are legal in USPSA I'm going to suggest to the range that they allow appendix carry. I had to disallow it a few weeks ago based on the range rules and got a ration of ***t about it from the shooter. It wasn't my choice but had to make him comply with the range rules. Anyway, I'm looking for precedent that I can take to the owner and ask for exception for our matches. Got the info I need.

Thanks for the help and input,

Cheers623

Should we deduce that it is easier to "see what someone's doing when they reholster in front of you" into a strong side holster that is hidden from view under a shoot-me-first vest?

Thanks for the replies. I'm not against it but run a local indoor match where the range rules don't allow their use. As long as they are legal in USPSA I'm going to suggest to the range that they allow appendix carry. I had to disallow it a few weeks ago based on the range rules and got a ration of ***t about it from the shooter. It wasn't my choice but had to make him comply with the range rules. Anyway, I'm looking for precedent that I can take to the owner and ask for exception for our matches. Got the info I need.

Cheers623

This thread has valuable points (which you might want to incorporate in your policies):

AIWB: Not for Everyone

http://pistol-training.com/archives/2998

Edited by 4Rules

Cheers623

Should not be that difficult - we operate out of a range that does not allow drawing from a holster. For the General Public they enjoy - it's an awesome rule - for us, not so much.

Fortunately it's safe and legal in Limited, L10 or open divisions in uspsa, and uspsa RO's can see what someone is doing when they reholster in front of them.

Holy snikey!! Something motosapiens and I agree on, lol!!!

Moto and someone agreed? Heading to the " safe place". Food and water in place. I can hold out the apocalypse.

Moto and someone agreed? Heading to the " safe place". Food and water in place. I can hold out the apocalypse.

I told the wife, she asked what I'd done to her husband, then ran screaming, "stranger danger, stranger danger, stranger danger"

How would that be "impossible?" When the guy shows you a clear gun, stand next to him and look down.

The problem isn't holstering when clear, it's holstering a loaded weapon when making ready. I want to be able to watch a shooter's gun go all the way into the holster and make sure his/her finger isn't in the trigger guard. It's more of an issue now, since I've seen plenty of shooters with limited experience with holsters in general who are buying appendix rigs, and despite the darwinian implications of somebody blowing their junk off, I'm not eager to see it happen.

Should we deduce that it is easier to "see what someone's doing when they reholster in front of you" into a strong side holster that is hidden from view under a shoot-me-first vest?

As for holstering with a vest on, the SO should still see the gun seat in the holster. Usually the vest gets pushed back enough that's it's not a problem, otherwise I'll move it a little to make sure. It helps save the shooter from holstering with a piece of their t-shirt or vest wedged in the holster, which people often don't see. The holster is only hidden from view once they're done making ready.

Cheers623

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a range's rule supersedes the uspsa rule book, the match can NOT be advertised as an official USPSA match. I remember a range that wanted to DQ shooters for "double taping" rearward falling steel and it became a huge issue. They were told either allow it in the match or advertise it as a outlaw-uspsa type match.

The problem isn't holstering when clear, it's holstering a loaded weapon when making ready. I want to be able to watch a shooter's gun go all the way into the holster and make sure his/her finger isn't in the trigger guard. It's more of an issue now, since I've seen plenty of shooters with limited experience with holsters in general who are buying appendix rigs, and despite the darwinian implications of somebody blowing their junk off, I'm not eager to see it happen.

OK, but my question still stands--how is that "impossible," since you can stand at the shooter's elbow and look down as they holster the gun. It's downrange of you, so a discharge won't strike both the shooter and you, just the shooter.

We lots and lots of shooters that have their holsters in the "appendix" area. Most of them are shooting race gun holsters.

I would guess, given the OPs location and knowing of shooters in his area, that we are actually talking about appendix inside the waistband (AIWB). That looks a bit different, and everybody is always hesitant about anything that is different.

For USPSA, appendix area is legal for Open, Limited, Limited10 and Revolver. Production and Single Stack divisions have holster location limitations.

OK, but my question still stands--how is that "impossible," since you can stand at the shooter's elbow and look down as they holster the gun. It's downrange of you, so a discharge won't strike both the shooter and you, just the shooter.

I was thinking in the context of someone who's got a deep-set AIWB, where you practically have to stand in front of them to see that the gun's in the holster, and obviously it's not a problem with people who know what they're doing. You've got a good point though, if the only person they could shoot is themselves, it certainly doesn't seem so bad.

• 4 weeks later...