Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Regional Series Updates

Almost 10% DQed, which seems like a lot? Anything in particular going on?

There was alot of "dont step here while you shoot that way, or it's a match DQ", "dont break the 70 degree mark in this direction or it is a 180 violation, or it's a match DQ", "dont shoot those targets from past this spot, or it's a match DQ", "dont draw your pistol before passing this point, or it's a match DQ".... You get the idea. We had 3 DQ's on one stage. One guy drew his gun too early. One gun fell out of the holster mid stride, and one ran past the last spot you were allowed to shoot a certain target from but was still shooting it.

musta been stage 8 ??

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then start engaging tiny 4" steel and clays, while walking/joggin up a steep hill.

This was a good match, ready for the next one!

Sounds like a lot of running. On a scale of "1" is an all bay match to "10" the SOBs are trying to kill me, how would you rate this match?

Based purely on movement, I would say that if TFD3G was a 10, this would be a 4 or 5. That doesn't sound bad, but there really was more movement than most matches. Almost every stage had a spot or two where you could hit a full sprint. I enjoyed all the moving :)

Edited by mark97se

First big match for me, so dont have too many opinions aside from the fact that I liked the movement involved (full sprint a few times). I had a good time although I had poor performance the first day which tanked me,

Never a fan of time plus unless stages are expected to be an equal length.. Can anyone explain how the time plus scoring format is supposed to be translated into semi-pro "points"? Not a complaint, just curious how that is supposed to work, and how the semi-pro division works overall.

Thanks.

Edited by Therealkoop

The match was a good mix of speed and accuracy. RO staff was outstanding and the only real issue was getting golf carts late in the day on Friday instead of the morning when only 3 of the 8 stages could be seen without them. Quite a few people arrived in the morning hoping to walk stages only to have to wait several hours to get the carts. There were also some issues with the ipad that was being used to swipe the cards for charging people for the golf carts but the staff pretty much handled all bumps in stride and got it all sorted out in the end.

Overall I enjoyed the match and compliment the 3GN crew for what I suspect was a somewhat stressful few days for them but made a few hundred competitors pretty happy. The prize table was awesome and the RO's were consistent and professional with each competitor. For the number of people who shot the event and the number of stages things seem to balance out pretty well. Loved the demos and the side match, if the half day schedule continues more side matches would be nice.

Bunch of DNF was that due to weapon malfunctions?

A lot of us marked DNF were staff that just didn't have time to shoot through the match or shoot with the ROs earlier in the week.

The two DQ's on our squad both failed to manipulate the safety on their shotgun, and dumped them with rounds in the pipe, and no safety 'on'... I shot mine dry every time i dumped it to make sure i didnt mess this part up.

I thought it was a great match! Obviously the golf cart thing was a charlie foxtrot. Having to pay for that was a pain, and I feel bad for people who bought four seaters, not worth the double price!

Once we were moving, the RO's were solid and efficient, we were able to move through the stages in the prescribed amount of time, but I know there were squads who weren't. Stages were an awesome mix of fast shoot e'm up, and some long distance, as well as some technical puzzles. I did not find any of the safety rules inhibiting on any of the stages.

Realistically, the prize table moved pretty quick, I've had to wait much longer than that for most other major matches I've shot. And I walked away with some awesome prizes!

Good job to the match staff, hopefully I can shoot the Midwest Regional.

I am also interested in seeing how the Regional Series and Semi Pro series will be calculated.

I would suspect you divide your time into the fastest time and there is your percentage but I dont know! Kieth Garcia was on fire based on his overall time. I think this will be a tough match to grab lots of semi pro points from.

Hello Everyone, just thought I would chime in and let you know that 3GN saw this as an issue in the 2013 series... For the 2014 Regional Semi-Pro division points race, the Pro scores will be pulled out. So essentially we will run the match as normal, including the prize table, but for the points race the highest scoring Semi-Pro shooter will be used as the 100% baseline. We believe this will alleviate the issue above, allowing the Semi-Pro's to truly compete against one another from match to match without the possibility of having one of the top Pro's swing the scores so significantly.

Fortunately for everyone, it looks like Keith's superhuman performance won't be factored in. I was the top semi pro as far as I know (unless Romero decided to sign up for semi pro, lol), so the points will be based on a MUCH more realistic score.

Edited by amccallister

Hello Everyone, just thought I would chime in and let you know that 3GN saw this as an issue in the 2013 series... For the 2014 Regional Semi-Pro division points race, the Pro scores will be pulled out. So essentially we will run the match as normal, including the prize table, but for the points race the highest scoring Semi-Pro shooter will be used as the 100% baseline. We believe this will alleviate the issue above, allowing the Semi-Pro's to truly compete against one another from match to match without the possibility of having one of the top Pro's swing the scores so significantly.

Fortunately for everyone, it looks like Keith's superhuman performance won't be factored in. I was the top semi pro as far as I know (unless Romero decided to sign up for semi pro, lol), so the points will be based on a MUCH more realistic score.

Thats how I thought it was supposed to work, but the rankings were called based on raw time. Not that it matters for myself as I was no where near the top!

I dont think it matters if they only rank the people registered/paid as semipro. Probably take the highest semipro time and go from there. Now Id like to know if they only take X shooters from each event or how they're inviting people to qualifier, & how many can go since '13 was different.

Did I read the scores right? 18 DQ's and 9 DNF's? What was going on? have never seen that many DQ's in a match before...... Sounds like if you don't DQ you will get some great prizes...... And only 11 TI shooters? I may be able to break into the top 10 in Vegas........

Nice match, Andrew! your score is none too shabby, and will still mount a steep curve to be scored against for other semi-pro's...

This was my first large 3 gun match and I though it was a great match. We started Sunday morning on the long range rifle stage facing right into the sun and I had to come up with a ghetto sun shade...

A475A917-45AC-4FBC-8A56-B63C5EDB68CC_zps

You might me a redneck if.............

As a few others have mentioned, most of the DQs were due to abandonment of unsafe shotguns. We had one on our squad. I know of two others. I know of one 2011 safety not fully engaged, and a couple of folks who drew their pistol prior to passing a marked safe point. All boneheaded stuff. There was nothing about this match that would be considered a "DQ trap". All of the potential DQ violations were well described to our squad by the ROs. I think the match had quite a few relatively newer shooters who were on the DQ list.

I was on that squad and there were more than one set up like that LOL

Andrew was awesome to watch at the match. He did a great job on the stages. Congrats Andrew.

Having blaze orange 4 MOA long range rifle targets was a great way to make sure everyone could see everything downrange, especially the IRONS shooters. There was no question as to where a target was, or how many there were, regardless of whether it was in the sun / shade / morning / afternoon, and they were still a significant test of rifle skills when being scored by the time plus method... after shooting off a barricade... and running up a hill...

I hope that more 3 gun matches make their rifle steel big & bright so shooters can focus on shooting it instead of finding it. Good job guys, looking forward to the next one!

Edited by Moltke

Some of us don't see all the colors of the rainbow. Contrasting backgrounds would be useful for those of us who are certain color deficient.

I feel your pain, I have a hard time picking up the primered gray painted steel in the natural background. I also just got glasses even though that's not gonna help my Red/Green color blindness.

How did squadding work? Did staff squad you all or did they send out a link for self-squadding. Reason I ask is I am shooting the Vegas match with a buddy and we will be travelling together. It would suck if he shot in the morning and I shot in the afternoon.

Thanks