Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Entry level STI for USPSA & IDPA

NicVerAZ

I'm very happy with my trojan. the finish is not particularly durable, but what is durable on a race gun. I was unable to find anyone who wasn't very pleased with their trojan when I was shopping. Mine came with a totally satisfactory trigger right out of the box (just over 3 lbs).

I have a Trojan in 45. Shot it for a year with about 12k rounds through it. The finish has really taken a hit from dry-firing and shooting, but the gun has been very reliable for me (always goes BANG) which is my highest priority.

Are there other more accurate and pretty guns? Absolutely, but if you want something solid and reliable out of the box this will get it done. I would suggest a trigger job as at least on mine it is definitely rough.

I have a Trojan bought from Brazos. They did some trigger work and added a narrow fiber front sight. It is great reliable gun, never failed to run. It has some wear but shot it exclusively for the last two years, 10,000 rounds or so.

What division are you planning on shooting in USPSA? If you want to go with single stack then you really can't beat a Trojan. If you want to do limited then finding a used Eagle with a bushing barrel (IDPA legal) is the way to go. I picked one up on BE for about $1,600.

I'm probably biased because I have a .45acp Trojan. It is the gun I bought when I first started shooting USPSA and it's like an old friend. The barrel and some of the small parts have been replaced, but the trigger job it got 5 yrs ago with stock parts is still holding at 2 1/4 lbs. The finish wore pretty badly, so this summer I had it cerakoted and that's been holding up pretty well even to kydex.

If your budget is $1,500, I think you'd be fine getting a Trojan, then use the rest for mags (6-8), a magwell, holster, mag pouches, and a good belt.

But if I was me, I'd get it in .40SW.

I'm probably biased because I have a .45acp Trojan. It is the gun I bought when I first started shooting USPSA and it's like an old friend. The barrel and some of the small parts have been replaced, but the trigger job it got 5 yrs ago with stock parts is still holding at 2 1/4 lbs. The finish wore pretty badly, so this summer I had it cerakoted and that's been holding up pretty well even to kydex.

If your budget is $1,500, I think you'd be fine getting a Trojan, then use the rest for mags (6-8), a magwell, holster, mag pouches, and a good belt.

What would be the advantage of 40SW vs 45 ACP?

Thanks!

Thanks!

More capacity, & lots cheaper to shoot while still being able to make major power factor.

Thanks!

More capacity, & lots cheaper to shoot while still being able to make major power factor.

Indeed, but then I have to decide if I want to shoot IDPA CDP with it or not, as CDP is .45 ACP only.

Choice, choice.

Edit: I just ordered the 45ACP version. I believe a 1911 in 40SW will be harder to resell than a 45ACP version as, in the mind of most, 1911 = 45ACP,

Edited by NicVerAZ

Thanks!

Indeed, but then I have to decide if I want to shoot IDPA CDP with it or not, as CDP is .45 ACP only.

Choice, choice.

Edit: I just ordered the 45ACP version. I believe a 1911 in 40SW will be harder to resell than a 45ACP version as, in the mind of most, 1911 = 45ACP,

STI Trojans in 40 S&W are very easy to sell on this forum. They are the starter 1911 of choice for competition. A Trojan in 45 will still be an excellent gun and will serve you well. Congrats on your pistol.

There was a Trojan in 45 in the classifieds today. I have one in 9mm, one of my favorite pistols. Fun to shoot 9mm cheaper to load and has been fun developing loads for. Expect to spend a little on extra parts, mag wells, mag releases front sights etc. Yours may or may not need some tuning trigger work. Lots can be done with spring tuning to get the most out of your load and pistol.

Bought a Spartan V off Gunbroker a few months back and was well pleased with it also. Again may take a little extra funds to get it competitive.

Finish, my Trojan is hard chromed, several years old and has around 30,000 rounds fires. Still tight but had a new barrel fitted last year. Stock finish will wear quickly from holster wear, might get all the tuning and extra parts added you want then have the pistol chromed.

Trojan is one of the best buys. Undercut grip feels good in the hand, balances well, fun to shoot.

There was a Trojan in 45 in the classifieds today. I have one in 9mm, one of my favorite pistols. Fun to shoot 9mm cheaper to load and has been fun developing loads for. Expect to spend a little on extra parts, mag wells, mag releases front sights etc. Yours may or may not need some tuning trigger work. Lots can be done with spring tuning to get the most out of your load and pistol.

Bought a Spartan V off Gunbroker a few months back and was well pleased with it also. Again may take a little extra funds to get it competitive.

Finish, my Trojan is hard chromed, several years old and has around 30,000 rounds fires. Still tight but had a new barrel fitted last year. Stock finish will wear quickly from holster wear, might get all the tuning and extra parts added you want then have the pistol chromed.

Trojan is one of the best buys. Undercut grip feels good in the hand, balances well, fun to shoot.

I am thinking about shooting the usual 1,000 rounds to break it in and then to give it to the Cameron shop for a trigger job, how about that?

Big question: what magwell, holster, magazine and magazine pouches do you recommend?

Edited by NicVerAZ

I started out with a simple S&A MSH/magwell and it worked just fine. Then after a couple of years I got a hankering for a magwell that encircled the entire grip and tried out a few (Dawson ICE w/ Gap, Techwell XT) and settled on the Techwell SP. The only downside to the Techwells, if you even want to call it that, is you need to use their grips or modify your own by cutting in the corresponding cuts for the locking lugs to secure the magwell to the frame. The big magwells such as the Dawson ICE or Techwell XT require mags with pretty tall basepads. If you get the Dawson ICE No-Gap I'm pretty sure you also need to get the Dawson No-Gap basepads for your mags.

As far as mags, I have a eclectic collection of Wilson 47DE (the ones with the extended basepads, Wilson ETMs, Tripp Cobramags, and a few CMC Powermags. They all seem to work just fine, but the basepads on the 47DEs need to be ground down slightly to fit the box. Like Steel1212, I usually have a bunch in my bag so I don't have to clean mags after every stage. I tend to shy away from the mags with the welded bases since they are harder to clean.

There are a bunch of options for mag pouches, just make sure you get enough. I wear six on the belt.