Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned 2011 mags

Sudden Death

Local guy up in Dayton Ohio Area is doing most of our mags. Very good and inexpensive as well. He has it down to a science. My 9MAJOR STI tubes with spacers will hold 22 and 28 easily. He polishes inside and out, adjusts lips, and drills witness holes that are spot on.

tjs375 on here

I am actually going to spend some time with him over the winter and take up the trade I think. I have the workshop for it and now have plenty of time. He kind of just does it on the side but word of mouth is very powerful. He typically has a bench full of mags to work on.

• 2 weeks later...

Are the mags not supposed to work when new? Dawson basepads, grams guts and new STI mag tubes all work 100% for me.

I suppose if I step on one or it gets completely screwy after a few million rounds I'll send it out to get tweaked.

My logic is if they don't drop free or are way out of spec they go back I'm not accepting a product that dosent work. Tuning for capacity is one thing but they should run and drop free in factory configuration

Yes they should, but they often don't. Just like STI guns. They SHOULD run right out of the box but often don't. Yes, you can send it back to STI. Then again.... until finally you send it to a good gunsmith and have them put in some better parts and get it running 100%.

We have talked a lot about tuned mags on here. Are they absolutely necessary? Hell no! But are they better than stock ? Hell yes!

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth I find tuning mags completely unnecessary. The first race gun I purchased was a custom STI 40 which came with no mags. I purchased 5 new STI tubes with Dawson SNL+1 and Gram guts, unturned, and they worked flawlessly holding 20 reloadable. The next build I did was a 40 Akai which included 1 mag with the build. I brought 4 new mags when I picked up the gun to have tuned. All 5 mags used STI tubes, Dawson SNL+1 and Gram guts. They all held 20 reloadable and have worked fine since the day I took delivery. Since then I have added 2 9 major open and a 38SC open each with 5 dedicated untuned mags. The 9 majors have STI tubes, Dawson SNL +1 with Gram guts and hold 28 reloadable in the 170 and 23 reloadable in the 140. The 38SC has 5 unturned STI tubes with Gram guts and Taran bases and hold 29 reloadable in the 170 and 24 in the 140. All work flawlessly having never failed.

So out of 25 total mags, 5 of which were tuned, all work flawlessly and like calibers hold identical loads. So I have decided that unless the new mags have issues I leave them in their natural state.

• 2 years later...
On 12/24/2013 at 6:59 AM, SMS2 said:

For what it's worth I find tuning mags completely unnecessary. The first race gun I purchased was a custom STI 40 which came with no mags. I purchased 5 new STI tubes with Dawson SNL+1 and Gram guts, unturned, and they worked flawlessly holding 20 reloadable. The next build I did was a 40 Akai which included 1 mag with the build. I brought 4 new mags when I picked up the gun to have tuned. All 5 mags used STI tubes, Dawson SNL+1 and Gram guts. They all held 20 reloadable and have worked fine since the day I took delivery. Since then I have added 2 9 major open and a 38SC open each with 5 dedicated untuned mags. The 9 majors have STI tubes, Dawson SNL +1 with Gram guts and hold 28 reloadable in the 170 and 23 reloadable in the 140. The 38SC has 5 unturned STI tubes with Gram guts and Taran bases and hold 29 reloadable in the 170 and 24 in the 140. All work flawlessly having never failed.

So out of 25 total mags, 5 of which were tuned, all work flawlessly and like calibers hold identical loads. So I have decided that unless the new mags have issues I leave them in their natural state.

You got VERY lucky....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-11-20 at 10:12 AM, Chutist said:

You got VERY lucky....

Very, lucky indeed. Maybe I am just unlucky but $890.00 for 6 MBX Extreme 155's and only 5 of the 6 work...but don't try to get the base's off all of them in the same day. Reloading them with the UPula is a chore also, in a couple of the mags the follower jams after 3-4 have been inserted and it takes a LOT of pressure to force the next couple down the tube, then it frees itself up. All 5 feed into the DVC 9 major OK though.