Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On Lower Receivers

GregSmith

Hey gang,

Looking to build a .223 and the Seekins Precision SP233 caught my eye. I think it's a great looking receiver with a cool splash of style. It's really unique looking.

Obviously, there are more important parts to building an AR. But what are the things I should be considering? Is a lower just a lower? Forged Vs. Billet? Matched upper and lower receivers... is there that much benefit if any?

Obviously fit and finish are issue. accuracy is important, but is that more of an upper/barrel/trigger puzzle?

Looking for your thoughts. If any of you have experience with Seekins receivers, let me know. If you don't like it, why? (And what do you like?) I saw Pat Kelley shooting one in a promo video. if it's good enough for him... come on.

Thanks in advance guys!

I've run one for most of this past year. It mates up great with a VLTOR upper. It looks great. It has a right sided bolt release but to be honest I've never used it.

It has bit me twice. First time was in the first match I used it. There is a set screw in the receiver near the pistol grip screw that can be used to adjust over travel. I left it alone since I fitted a JP trigger. It ended up walking forward and locking up the trigger. I've pulled it out since then.

Second time involves he magwell - it's flared but at an odd shape and I have botched two empty gun starts recently.

I'm contemplating going back to a Noveske Gen 2 lower for 3 gun.

Edited by prreed10

Forged may be a little stronger than billet . Pretty sure accuracy got nothing to do with how well the upper and lower fits. Seekins makes very nice uppers/lowers , some wicked works of art. On my wish list for sure.

But I'd go for a VLTOR MUR upper with a Gen 2 lower.

I was wondering the same thing. I have an LMT CQB Defender 16. I have used it for 3 Gun the past 2 seasons. Love the rifle but really need to change that monolithic upper to something more suitable for 3 gun. Longer and smoother is what I need. Trying to decide if I should just build a new rifle or just build a new upper. Love the looks of some of the different lowers out there but would they really be any better than the LMT lower? Use the money I would save to put into a better barrel?? Thoughts???

there are only 4 functional differences I can think of on billet vs. forged lowers:

-billet lowers tend to have integrated trigger guards which is a weak point on regular forged lowers and another annoying roll pin

plus for billet

-billet lowers sometimes have more greatly flared magwells

plus for billet

-billet lowers are more expensive than regular forged lowers

plus for forged

-a billet lower will be slightly weaker than a forged lower of identical geometry

plus for forged

If money wasn't an issue I would get a Noveske Gen II lower since it is forged, has a flared magwell, and has an integrated trigger guard.

there are only 4 functional differences I can think of on billet vs. forged lowers:

-billet lowers tend to have integrated trigger guards which is a weak point on regular forged lowers and another annoying roll pin

plus for billet

-billet lowers sometimes have more greatly flared magwells

plus for billet

-billet lowers are more expensive than regular forged lowers

plus for forged

-a billet lower will be slightly weaker than a forged lower of identical geometry

plus for forged

If money wasn't an issue I would get a Noveske Gen II lower since it is forged, has a flared magwell, and has an integrated trigger guard.

Sounds like the Gen 2 got the "plus" on ALL 4 ;-)

By the way, for what we do, money is always an issue

For cool, functional, and feature rich the Seekins and Noveske are the heat. I really like the integral ambi bolt release on the Seekins

and the no roll pin assembly. If you are not going to mate it to a Seekins upper the lower does have a "fitting" screw built in to remove and play between the halves.

I am happy to see the "debate" about strength of billet vs. forged going away...in the AR it matters not.

Can someone smarter than me explain how forged is stronger than billet? I have never heard that and would love to know the details.

Sorry Pat....

When dealing with like alloys a piece of forged aluminum machined to the same dimensions as a piece of billet aluminum will be stronger. Notice when comparing a billet aluminum piece wether it is an upper or lower to a forged piece they are usually not the same alloy because different alloys have different strengths. In order for a billet receiver to have the same strength as a forged piece they use a different alloy and the billet piece is usually thicker in key areas to keep the same strength.

It's really an apples to oranges comparison.

i know Gen 3 pmags won't work in a seekins either.

They work just fine in mine 30s and 40s
in the magwell version without removing the overinsertion stop?

edit:my mistake, you are right. I was thinking of my lancer

Edited by jon49erfan

Ergonomics aside, if a lower is dimensionally correct, there is no performance difference. The Seekins, Lancer, and Noveske have some features I like, but they are not required. A lower should last for a long time, at least a few uppers, a few triggers and lots of barrels worth. For that reason alone, get what you like.

The billet lower seems to be heavier. I didn't weigh the lowers by themselves and I changed stocks but the Seekins/TacMod combo showed +2lbs on my bathroom scale compared to DPMS/Ace Boomtube. BUT, I love the great looks of the Seekins, the screws instead of roll pins and love the TacMod stock. Both are staying right where they are.