Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 primer Kaboom causes?

I had a primer detonation loading this morning that detonated all 99 in the primer magazine. This occurred towards the bottom of the down stroke on the second case to be loaded.

What are the various causes of primer blow ups so I do not do this again?

I am ok, I was wearing safety glasses while reloading as usual. Loud boom, flash of orange, parts flying everywhere.

Never having had this happen before, or to any of my reloading friends, but doing a little online looking it seems that the #1 reason is operator error. Since I'm not sure of what happened, please tell me the various ways this normally happens to I can better self-monitor.

Thank you.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one go off for the first time about a month ago. I think the spent primer wasn't removed because the decap pin on my size die was bent, so when I tried to press in the new primer it crushed and detonated. But it only set off the one primer. Never had the whole tube go off.

that nut could have been loose, true. when taking the inner primer sleeve out of the magazine I noticed the orifice or little plastic nipple on the end of the inner sleeve, to index it in the magazine tube, was gone. and that nut was not very tight, but i couldnt tell you if that was from the 'splosion or not.

i feel lucky i was wearing glasses.

i need to replace the plastic follower rod, the inner primer magazine sleeve, the plastic retainer tab at the primer station. i'm also ordering most of the other small parts involved in the priming station just to have them.

Need more info. What caliber were you loading? What brand of primers? Happen on the down or upstroke? How far into the stroke did it occur? If on the downstroke, what is the headstamp on the case being primed? If on the downstroke did the handle operation require more effort? Had you just changed calibers?

9mm. Federal small pistol primers. On the down stroke. I want to say at the top of the stroke. Not sure of the case being primed, couldn't find it after the kaboom. The case two prior was crushed and removed. Never have changed calibers, machine has always only been 9mm.

20131103_085339_zpsd4e9f750.jpg

20131103_085346_zps1b487146.jpg

Edited by rowdyb

Federal primers are more sensitive than other brands of primers are. Did you find any loaded cartridges where primers seated at an angle? I suspect an out of round primer failed to drop completely into the primer slide, and when the handle was being pulled down, the primer hit the edge of the shellplate, resulting in the chain explosion. I very recently loaded 1000 rounds of 38 Special on a 1050 using Federal primers, and had seven or eight that were sufficiently out of round that they failed to drop into the primer slide. I felt them hit the shellplate and stopped pulling the handle, then cleared the primer from the slide.

Another possibility is that the rubber slide over the roll pin on the rear of the primer slide has torn off. This would result in the primer slide not travelling fully rearward , and primers would tip in the slide.

Contact us for replacement parts. Be sure to request a new primer housing as well. We much prefer to replace them after they have contained a large quantity of exploding primers, and not reuse them.

Edited by dillon

Dillon, I placed an order online early this morning for some parts. What is the best way to talk with you or someone else about it? I feel comfortable with ordering the parts that I did, but if you really recommend different than what I did, I'm open to listening.

Rowdy,

Good to talk to again. Sorry you had a boom. It happens if you load long enough. You found out the bane of 9mm reloading. 9mm mixed brass has all kinds of different primer pocket dimensions.

The best way to alleviate this is to have your brass processed, ie. have the primer pocket reamed.

Since you have a 1050 you can swage the primer pocket and alleviate most of your issues. Make sure once you have it set up swaging correctly to adjust the plastic tab on the priming station. Put a case in the station, put a business card between the case and tab and tighten it down. That should take care of most problems.

Next issues is when for whatever reason you mangle a primer (primer pocket issue or just act of god loading 9mm....) and it stays in the primer slide. It will sometimes push up the primer slide arm so the toolhead won't go all the way down. Just pull the primer station tab off and then dig out the mangled primer from the primer slide. Use some air and blow the area out and then reinstall the primer station tab.

If you have priming problems after a mangled primer then pull the inner primer tube and look at the blue tip. It probably needs to be replaced due to the mangled primer .....wait for it....mangling the tip..... :goof: .

Just don't force anything while loading on the 1050. It is a simple machine. When you force stuff it will break or possibly go boom. The more you use it the more you will know what the problem is.

Good luck,

DougC

I've had 3 primer chain detonations on my 1050 and all of them were while using Federal pistol primers (two were SPMs). I will never use Federal primers again. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds with CCI, Remington, and Winchester primers without issue. I'm done with Federal.

Probably had a primer get crushed and make it's way back to the primer magazine and detonate there when trying to squeeze back.

edhead35, primer detonations like that are pretty loud. Take a primed case and fire it in your gun. It's a little louder than that. First detonation I had sent the primer rod straight up into the overhead lights so I had glass shards raining down all over me and the press. That was a fun day!

My wife insists on Fed SPP in her 40 loads. I don't even try to suggest anything else anymore... :blush:

When I load her ammo I make sure the entire primer feeding area is cleaned and void of powder and primer compound from other crushings, put everything back together, put on my safety glasses, move the light-on-an-arm to a safe place, and start loading. My detonation average is about once ever other 1k rounds, and it still scares the crap outa me even thou I am expecting it. Have yet to detonate the entire primer tube, (knocking on wood feverishly!) I am NOT looking forward to that day... :)

jj

Guys, I have loaded over 150,000 rounds of federal small pistol primers with no detonations.....If you have the swage set up you should not have any detonations at all. It is a learning curve but most of the issues are from the unswaged primer pockets and and the primer tab not being adjusted properly including not cleaning the primer slide area, etc......

DougC

Guys, I have loaded over 150,000 rounds of federal small pistol primers with no detonations.....If you have the swage set up you should not have any detonations at all. It is a learning curve but most of the issues are from the unswaged primer pockets and and the primer tab not being adjusted properly including not cleaning the primer slide area, etc......

DougC

+1 especially keeping the primer slide area clean.

Equally important is safety. I have worked in the explosives industry on and off almost my entire life and the one saying that always sticks with me is "It's not if an accident will happen, it's when an accident happens." be prepared and the effects of the accident will be mitigated.

Glad you were wearing safety glasses.

My wife insists on Fed SPP in her 40 loads. I don't even try to suggest anything else anymore... :blush:

When I load her ammo I make sure the entire primer feeding area is cleaned and void of powder and primer compound from other crushings, put everything back together, put on my safety glasses, move the light-on-an-arm to a safe place, and start loading. My detonation average is about once ever other 1k rounds, and it still scares the crap outa me even thou I am expecting it. Have yet to detonate the entire primer tube, (knocking on wood feverishly!) I am NOT looking forward to that day... :)

jj

Once every couple of thousand rounds? That's crazy. You need to look at what you're doing because something's not right.

jj

Once every couple of thousand rounds? That's crazy. You need to look at what you're doing because something's not right.

Agreed!!!!!!

jj

Agreed!!!!!!

Forgot to mention that is on a 650...

Dont believe I am doing anything wrong, I tweak everything best I can, seat the primer as carefully as I can, but like I said, I know the Fed primers have the greater potential, so I try to be ready for it. 1 in 2k may be a bit of an exageration, maybe closer to 1 in 4 times I load her ammo, usually 1-2k at a time, but it does happen despite all the caution. Its just the nature o the beast.

jj

No, it's not the nature of the beast. Having a primer detonate every couple of thousand rounds is way out of the ordinary. Whether it's on a 650 with Federal primers or any other machine with any type of primer. Not trying to give you a hard time, but I've loaded well over 100k rounds on every model Dillon machine (currently have two 1050s and two 550s), and I've had exactly one single primer detonation, as described above. If you're ok with the results you're getting, I guess that's ok. But it is not normal. And I certainly would be looking for a solution, even if that meant sending the machine back to Dillon.

DougC

I did all of that and had detonations. On my press there was a rubber sleeve of something that came off the primer slide the last detonation. I threw it in the garbage and haven't had any problems since. Swaging the primer pocket does not resize the pocket. If you don't have an issue with Federal primers on your setup, awesome. I did and I will never use them again. I prefer CCI primers and they are also cheaper for me as an OEM than Federal primers.

Ive never detonated one on a 650, once on my 1050. Decapping pin broke, un deprimed case on priming station, boom!

I use Federal only. They are soft but in my circumstance, i would think any primer will go. I would describe myself as a minimalist in terms of reloading. Brass preparation is just tumbling and a one pass spray of one shot then on the casefeeder.

I see the 650 and 1050 machines (its all i have and can comment) as straight forward in its priming system. If done right, no primer will go boom. But i can think of many that will set off one.