Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock to MP jump for pro

GeraldMeharry

Im thinking of jumping wagons.

any tricks to improve production set up.

thanks guys

Don't jump wagons! Been there done that. I started with an M&P and jumped to a G34 because it is so much easier to get a Glock set up with the best trigger, springs, etc.

Apex trigger

competition action enhancement kit for production, forward set sear kit for limited

Compared to glock triggers, the m&p has more pretravel but less movement through the break. Also the m&p trigger has a shorter reset than the glock, but it is less positive.

I'm using tru grip grip tape, but there are options from talon grips, Dawson, and a few others.

Mags are hard to find. Midways had them.

Check out speed shooters specialties for s&w parts. Chris patty, and Ben Stoeger's sight for general stuff like sights and grip tape.

Thanks for the info and sarge would you continue to shoot the mp if after market picks up? I mean glock has been out for decades.

things im looking for is

grip angle like the 1911 without all the bells and whisles

one trigger pull to train

something tough that will run (like glock)

heavier (mp little heavier then glock)

I really have no complanits about the glock just looking for the next platform to make master.

I've never run a Glock in competition (I do own a 27 though) so my perspective is one sided but I can say my M&P 9 Pro has never failed to function, is fairly accurate, and is the most comfortable/natural pointing polymer gun I have ever shot. Also, there are plenty of trigger options out there to suit nearly anyone's needs. The aftermarket doesn't provide the plethora of options the Glock enjoys, but I haven't been let down by what's available so far. BTW, I shoot this pistol in production division and am having a ball with it!!

To get the best trigger out of a poly gun, you should get a m&p and send it to a good gunsmith like burwell or one of the other ones that knows a lot about these things. If you do that you can get a trigger that is close to being like a 1911 trigger and minus the cost of shipping the gun, they don't charge much more then a apex drop in kit. The apex aek has a great break and little overtravel but there is a lot of take-up.

I haven't clean my m&p9 since before the MN sectional and it hasn't choked yet. It doesn't take much to make one run. The reliability is there. I have a kkm barrel in mine and it is a tackdriver. The factory barrels have fully supported chambers and are ok to shoot lead. The newest factory barrels are a little different than the old ones and are said to be much more accurate.

While I prefer the m&ps to the glocks I don't think changing platforms is going to bump you up a class. I just don't think there is really a big advantage to running one poly gun over another. SP-01/Stock 2 vs a polygun, that might be a different story.

Edited by bigfish

Thanks for the info and sarge would you continue to shoot the mp if after market picks up? I mean glock has been out for decades.

things im looking for is

grip angle like the 1911 without all the bells and whisles

one trigger pull to train

something tough that will run (like glock)

heavier (mp little heavier then glock)

I really have no complanits about the glock just looking for the next platform to make master.

Shave the back strap down, that changes the angle making it more flat like the 1911.

Adjustable trigger for over travel and take up.

Add a heavy guide rod for weight.

I run an MP Pro 40 5" in limited.

SSS Limited Aluminum Mag well

SSS Tungsten Guide rod

SSS Brass mag well retainer( honestly the weight difference is very small)

Apex Aluminum trigger

Apex Competition AEK kit

Dawson adjustable rear sight and fiber front sight.

After some tweeking of the trigger bar loop I get a very nice pull. The break is all the way in the back, breaks very crisp, no over travel and this also gives me the shortest reset.

breaks at 3.5 lbs.

There are more glock parts available, but most of the trigger kits are not as nice as the apex competition kit. Glock triggers are longer and when they get light they feel mushy to me.

As for production setups, everything else you can customize is readily available.

My personal setup is

Dawson front sight .100 wide /.180 tall

Warren tactical rear sight .150 wide rear notch

Apex competition kit trigger

Speed shooters tungsten guide rod

15lb IMSI recoil spring

Trugrip grip tape

Both of my pros shoot under 1.5 inches at 25 yards. I've posted groups in another threat discussing accuracy. I have had no issues that weren't caused by me (too light a recoil spring) or bad ammo.

In my mind the trigger is nicer on the m&p with work, but most of it is preference between the glock, m&p, and xdm.

Edited by bthoefer

I also run a M&P Pro 40 5" - Limited

SSS ESP Brass Mag well - 3.7 ounces

SSS Tungsten Guide rod with 14lb Wolff spring

Custom trigger job by Pedro Ortiz - 3lbs, less take up, very little over travel and short reset

Taran Tactical mag bases

Costa Catalyst mag release

Apex extractor

Heinie Ledge Sights

M&P vs. Glock: I'd say that the glock is easier to get setup. There isn't a shortage of magazines for it and the aftermarket is heavier supported. For Production I'd guess it's a wash if you get a 5" Pro against a G34. I'd give the slight accuracy edge to the Glock at this point OEM to OEM barrel. It comes down to what feels best to me in the hand and that is the M&P right now.

I have bought and sold an M&P and then bought another... I keep coming back to my G34. It just runs and runs and runs. That being said I don't have 1/10th the rounds through my M&P 9L with Apex kit that I do either of my G34's.. but it's hasn't given me any problems so far out of maybe 2K-3K rounds. The accuracy isn't great at distance compared to my 34, but I could probably fix that with a re-barrel. I just can't love it for some reason. I don't have a HUGE problem with changing grip angles, but it is harder to go Glock/1911 or 2011 than it is M&P/1911 or 2011. I'm thinking about cheating on my G34 with a CZ next..lol

I got a 5" 40 Pro CORE. Love it! Used to shoot glocks and went to M&P's because I could change the back straps and it just felt better in my hands. I have never has a malfunction with the gun. It runs flawless!!! I wouldn't spend the extra on the pro if I were you. Everything they do on the pro just doesn't cut it IMO. The only cons to the gun is the trigger is horrid! I put the apex trigger kit in, just ordered the ram because I do like the feel of the reset on the glocks. I got a really good deal on the Pro CORE so I got it but the CORE sights are suppressor height so they are ungodly high, thankfully dawson just make some sights for it (the rear sight is different and doesnt fit in the regular M&P rear dovetail) So I got new trigger, new sights, and new barrel (stock barrel is really good my new barrel was just a 40-9 conversion so I could shoot both.) When I got the gun ammo was crazy hard to get.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid54.html

Edited by bigkyle72

I had both the Glock 34, 35 and M&P Pro 9mm, .40 cal. After shooting all of these handguns in competition for a year I decided to sell the M&P's and stay with the Glocks. I liked the M&P's a lot but I just couldn't give up my Glocks.

Used to be a hard-core Glock guy. I tried out the M&P one day, and I was hooked. They have FAR better ergonomics and just shoot better for me. I've since sold off all of my Glocks and replaced them with M&Ps, including my EDC.

I made the switch from Glock to M&P. My main use is outlaw 3-gun and USPSA pistol. Out of the box the M&P trigger is atrocious, but this is easily fixed with Apex parts (DCAEK for carry/Production, FSS kit for Limited). Now I have several:

4.25" M&P40 with weapon light for home defense

4.25" M&P9 with Apex DCAEK for my younger son

5" M&P9 Pro with Apex DCAEK for my older son

5" M&P9 Pro with with Apex DCAEK and SSS aluminum magwell as my 3-Gun pistol (may switch to FSS)

5" M&P40 Pro with Apex FSS trigger kit and SSS brass magwell/tungsten guide rod

I also have a 5" CORE 9mm upper half that I plan to build up into an open gun.

As you might guess, I'm a big M&P fan. I just found the ergonomics so much better than the Glock that it made an appreciable improvement in my performance... not so much something I could feel, but I did notice the improvement in my match scores.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

After shooting Glocks almost exclusively in USPSA and 3Gun since 1990, I got an M&P in 2011. While I still have a few G22s, I run the M&Ps almost exclusively in USPSA and 3Gun now. The Glock trigger won't ever match a well done trigger in an M&P. With stock barrels and Bar-Sto barrels, the Glocks were more accurate in stock and aftermarket, but the KKM aftermarket barrel in the Pro9 is very good. The ergonomics and natural POA are better for me on the M&P as well. That has helped my weakhand grip which has helped my accuracy at speed.

• 5 months later...

I agree with markco .... Got my core in jan 14 ... It needs a delta point 2 to finish off my major 9 open built..... Sold my gen 4 g34 the day after I got the core.

I made the jump this year. Went from my G35 to an M&P Pro 5". Everyone is different but to me I find enough improvement that it suits me well.

M&P Pros

Grip angle more natural (subjective, sure, but I don't think I'm alone in this opinion)

Interchangeable backstraps have a bit more grip to them (no need for the grip tape I used on my Glock)

Better stock sights (Mine came with the Novak fiber optic front sight and black notch rear)

M&P Cons

Stock trigger blows (but, honestly, who doesn't swap out the trigger on any competition gun?)

Parts harder to find and often more expensive

Glock Pros

Ubiquitous (parts and aftermarket accessories very easy to find)

Proven reliability

Glock Cons

Sights suck (but, again, who doesn't change this on a competition gun?)

Trigger needs work but is salvageable

Like everything else it's very personal but I do find myself much more comfortable with my M&P which translates into shooting better. The only mods I've done have been to put an Apex FSS trigger in, an SSS magwell and TTI +5 base pads on the mags. First gun I haven't felt the need to change sights out, too! Glocks rock, for sure, but for me the M&P definitely gets my vote.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried an m&p pro with an apex fss trigger and loved everything about the gun but the accuracy. Its great at 0-10 to 15 yards but out past that and you get shot gun groupings. Just all over the place. I've heard ben stoeger comment on one of his podcasts that he tries every m&p he sees at his classes and hasn't had a single one that groups. Other than that I loved it. I tried just about all the plastic guns trying to avoid glocks because I thought they were hideous and everyone is shooting them...........I finally caved and tried one......now I have a g19, g17, g34, and a g35. After a while you fall in love with their hideous looks......plus it doesn't bother me to tear them up! The more scratches and scrapes the better...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I tried an m&p pro with an apex fss trigger and loved everything about the gun but the accuracy. Its great at 0-10 to 15 yards but out past that and you get shot gun groupings. Just all over the place. I've heard ben stoeger comment on one of his podcasts that he tries every m&p he sees at his classes and hasn't had a single one that groups. Other than that I loved it. I tried just about all the plastic guns trying to avoid glocks because I thought they were hideous and everyone is shooting them...........I finally caved and tried one......now I have a g19, g17, g34, and a g35. After a while you fall in love with their hideous looks......plus it doesn't bother me to tear them up! The more scratches and scrapes the better...

I lost the accuracy competition at the beginning of Stoeger's class by 1 C shooting an M&P. Group size was as good as the guys shooting Stock 2s and Accushadows. Edited by bthoefer

Well that's interesting. I just listened to one of his podcasts where he stated they don't group. However, I have heard that s&w produced a new barrel that largely fixed the issue....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk