Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot solution for .22

Sarge

Finally picked up a 15-22 and need an optic of some kind in order to have the most fun with it. I can't justify putting as much money into it as I did the rifle.

So I have a two part question.

1. What optic could I get for under $100 that would suffice for informal plinking fun 5-6 times a year. I have been reading some info on (GULP) the ar15 forums and it seems like primary arms has quite a following in the cheap red dot department. Anybody here concur? Still, others are even cheaper at midwayusa such as truglo,Barska,millet, etc.

2. Are the mounting systems on better sights good enough to allow me to swap my Aimpoint PRO from my main AR to the .22 and still remain fairly close to zero? If I can get away with that for awhile that would be just fine until I can find a good solution.

As always, thanks up front for your help.

I went through the same thing with my 15-22 and ended up trying out one of the T1 lookalikes from Primary Arms. Been very happy with it, decent little dot for the $. Ended up picking up a few more for a 22/45 pistol and another .22 I wanted a scope on. Reading the feedback on them on AR15.com many are using them for .223 rifles and they seem to be holding up well.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I've been using one of their mini red dots on my AR for about 2 years now. Zero issues. I recommend them. If you wait till their Black Friday sale, you can probably get a deal on one of their red dots.

I have a TRUGLO holographic red dot on my 15-22, Kevin. Bought it from either Cheaper Than Dirt or Optics Planet. She holds zero well, even when I pull it off and put back on. I do that at the monthly match, so the son-in-law can shoot the iron sight class.

Good little sight, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, I have used Tasco's in the past, on 22's and cross bows. I do not have any now, for whatever that is worth.

But then, my 15-22 is shot by two people in a monthly match. That in itself justifies a better, dependable sight.

It is only 30 bucks . . . play with it and throw it away!

I use a vortex sparc. Works great and I dont have any complaints.

This is a cheap sight thread. I'm not putting a $170 sight on a $400 rifle for my kids to shoot tin cans with. :)

There are some used ones for under a hundred. I got mine for under 100 so I'm sure you can too if you looked.

Heck no! Lol I prefer the look of my aim point PRO over the smaller micro type. So maybe the primary arms that is similar. Less than $100 with a mount.

I don't want to spend a fortune but I can't convince myself to go the TRUGLO route

I got a 30 buck tasco red dot and have used it on an old browning challenger (pre-buckmark .22) and a S&W686 for steel and just general screwing around. It worked fine.

Not saying it’s the pinnacle of the red-dots, but it actually holds zero well, has a decent dot, is easily adjusted, and is durable enough. I'd put it on a 22 rifle with no qualms.

If it breaks...oh well, no tears shed.

Ugh...

I have issues making decisions about stuff like this. I'll probably only shoot the gun 3-4 times a year but don't want to buy something that won't turn on after using it once.

I ordered a Primary Arms microdot with a riser that came on black Friday special for $60.

DONE!