Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of an XDM

ichetucknee

I've looked at both the XDM 9mm 4.5 and the competition model with the FO sights. I have a Glock model 34 with Warren

tactical sights. How do the XDM's compare with a Glock 34?

Well, no wonder you are thinking about and XDm . . . you own a glock! :roflol:

Seriously tho, I can't help you . . . never owned a glock.

I've shot them both quit extensively in competition and believe it is purely a personal preference issue. The one XDm and the two G34 pistols I have shot were all completely reliable and accurate. I settled on the G34 because I wanted my competition pistol to be of an identical platform as my two primary carry pistols (G19 and G26).

I've looked at both the XDM 9mm 4.5 and the competition model with the FO sights. I have a Glock model 34 with Warren

tactical sights. How do the XDM's compare with a Glock 34?

Lot of shooters around here use both, so I have tried a few dozen examples of heavily-modded G34s, with all the best bits from the richest aftermarket in pistol-dom.

With all that available aftermarket, I have still never used any Glock trigger that is close to being as good as the PRP trigger for the XDm. So if you feel a good trigger is important, then you'll find the XDm's to be a step up, because pretty much everything else is a wash between the two pistols (assuming Gen 4).

Little tiny differences that may have meaning to some: Glock grip angle annoys some people. Glock grip has extra real estate. The two grips have different shapes. Glock's bore axis is lower, which some people prefer. As noted previously, Glock aftermarket offers more choices. Stock sights on XDm are better, but presumably you'll upgrade either.

Xdm has a good barrel in it from the factory :) as was stated, grip angle seems to be the reason why someone would choose one over the other. To me, the glocks just feel weird.

I don't think you would be disappointed with the xdm. Just a warning, the mags usually cost more

For me, there's not much difference on the handling; but I prefer the trigger on the XDM over the G34 (even if my trigger jobs were both professionally done).

The glock trigger is worse than the factory xdm? I didn't think there could be anything worse than a factory xdm trigger. My factory xd trigger is even better.

Both are great guns with a little trigger work, sights, and a load tuned to your preference. The two advantages I see with the XDM are it's trigger & grip angle, but not for reason listed above. The grip angle is similar to other manufacturers making it is easier to switch between platforms if you shoot multiple divisions with different guns, and when dry firing you are not left with a dead trigger after the initial pull.

I choose XDm because I can not get used to the Glock grip angle (and don't HAVE to get used to it). I do agree that XDm trigger pulls vary widely in acceptability. I have four XDms and had one XDsc and all were fine out of the box except my 5.25, the one I WANTED the best trigger on. A PRP Ultimate install cured that quick and I am very happy with the gun. I beg to differ (slightly) on the mag cost issue but my agruement may not hold water anymore. I bought some of my XDms back when mags were not so expensive, and two of my guns during the Springfield free mag rebate promotion a couple of years back. Three mags came with my 5.25 and they gave me four more so mags are not an issue for me. I agree that cheap, dirty, scratched XDm LEO marked police trade-in mags are not available like they are for a G22, but then we are talking about G17/34 (9mm) mags. A G34 is certainly not a wrong answer, but a XDm may be a better answer.

Edited by chevyoneton

Glock mags tend to stay around 25-30, the xdm mags I have found are $40-45. Maybe only the 5.25 triggers are bad, my .40 and the new 9 is bad. Never did try a 4.5 though.

It is all where you buy mags and how much effort you put into looking/buying. I just now looked on Gun Broker and there is an auction for 2 XDm 9mm mags with no bids yet starting at $59 shipped. Assuming you could win it at openning bid that is $29.50 each delivered to the house. Not $25 but not $40-$45 either. Just a couple of weeks ago I won two (lightly used) XDm 9mm Compact mags for $47 shipped, one with a Pierce pinkee extension. I considered that very fair as I have not seen the 9mm Compact mags around much.

Bought a Gen4 19 about 2 months ago and a G21 Gen about a week ago. Nothing feels or shoots better than my XDM9 4.5. I carry the 19 IWB because I think it's the perfect size for me for carry. I do like Glocks, obviously, but I love XDM's. The ergos are perfect for my hand. Plus, it's a very cool looking gun.

Edited by XDMer

• 1 month later...

I have had a xdm 5.25 9mm for about 2 years. Everyone I shoot with runs glocks so I bought a decked out glock 34 with everything my xdm had (3lb trigger, reduced recoil spring, solid guide rod, magwell, and grip tape) I found that I have a very high grip and the glock slide would bite my hand so I installed a beaver tail and shot it for a few matches. I shot fairly good but everytime I would get the xdm back out it just felt better and recoil management was much better for me with the xdm. Long story short I sold the g34 and still run my xdm for steel and multigun.

I don't have experience with the G34, but have Glocks and also have an XD45. Having handled and shot both I would have to lean toward the XDm over the glock just for the feel. I can shoot my Glock and XD equally well, but the XD grip feels better to ME. Everybody's different. Try them out at a range and see what you like if you can.

BTW Springfield has a 30% off everything sale going on their site until 15 DEC. Mags included. Best deal I have seen on them in a while.

Edited by GunBandit

I don't have experience with the G34, but have Glocks and also have an XD45. Having handled and shot both I would have to lean toward the XDm over the glock just for the feel. I can shoot my Glock and XD equally well, but the XD grip feels better to ME. Everybody's different. Try them out at a range and see what you like if you can.

BTW Springfield has a 30% off everything sale going on their site until 15 DEC. Mags included. Best deal I have seen on them in a while.

Thanks for the heads up.....Just ordered four more 9mm mags at $23 a pop.