Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite 3-gunner

LordWhorfin

Can't believe we've had this many posts knocking a firearms manufacturer that goes back so many years producing the type of firearm we all love and compete with. If not for Eagle Arms,Armalite,DPMS,Colt,Daniel,Rock River,Wilson,and all the other AR type manufactures where would not only the American military be but all of us 3-gun competitors also?

I think the only knock had been that they aren't supporting 3 gun currently. Same thing Id say about a bunch of big names.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep!! Jesse is right, that is the only knock on Armalite. My point was they used to, but that doesn't seem to carry water. Oh well. And Jesse is right about a bunch of other big names!!! That is why I don't recomend any kind of laundry soap, oil companies, soft drinks, beer companies, or sport,s drinks. They don't support our sport! I bet they don't care at all about 3-gun!..,......Thank God water is still one of our major sponsores! Just look at how much it gave to the Blue Ridge Mountain Match!!! :)

Edited by kurtm

Yep!! Jesse is right, that is the only knock on Armalite. My point was they used to, but that doesn't seem to carry water. Oh well. And Jesse is right about a bunch of other big names!!! That is why I don't recomend any kind of laundry soap, oil companies, soft drinks, beer companies, or sport,s drinks. They don't support our sport! I bet they don't care at all about 3-gun!..,......Thank God water is still one of our major sponsores! Just look at how much it gave to the Blue Ridge Mountain Match!!! :)

Funny you mention water. Freedom Munitions donated a whole pallet of water to the CT Midnight 3 Gun (along with a whole bunch of ammo). I only drink Freedom Water!

I thought JT had his own sports drink line already? I don't always drink sports drink, but when I do, I drink JT's Elixir.

I thought JT had his own sports drink line already? I don't always drink sports drink, but when I do, I drink JT's Elixir.

Oh, boy. I'm going to have to refrain from responding further to this. There are children reading this forum.

Don't forget Vern Hayes who was on the Armalite Team with Cook and Cooley. Also Michael Horne who worked with Col. Brown till they split up and Michael put on the last SWAT World Championship 3 Gun Tactical Match in Laughlin Nev. about 10 yrs. ago if my memory serves me.

Lots of history to 3Gun that not everyone remembers.

i remember those days, eddie. vern still shoots a bit in the norcal area b4 i moved from kali. and yep, still uses a ta-11.

I used to shoot a bit with Vern Hayes, John Cook, Mike Voigt, and Jim Randolph during the Team Eagle Arms days.

Mr. Hayes was always the gentleman and helped me learn how to shoot a rifle half way decent, and he was my go-to guy to get rifle parts. Randolph helped me to build a cool little 16” gun I still use today.

Also still have an Eagle Arms Action master (IIRC the first commercial 3gun rifle) with the old Voigt comp/fluted barrel. It is a tack driver and is still a very good 3 gun rifle by today's standards.

Edd Wosulm and Eagle Arms used to put on a pretty kick ass match every year that was a lot of fun and very challenging both physically and shooting wise.

http://www.uspsa.org/frontsight_archive/a/1992-09.pdf (see page 39 for the 1992 Eagle 3-gun match write up)

Eagle Arms contributed a lot to the sport back then and IMHO pumped up the enthusiasm for the sport and helped get 3gun matches rolling.

I’m not sure but I think that Eagle Arms was bought by Armalite in the 90’s sometime. Maybe I’ll have to get that book with the history of 3g matches.

Don't forget Vern Hayes who was on the Armalite Team with Cook and Cooley. Also Michael Horne who worked with Col. Brown till they split up and Michael put on the last SWAT World Championship 3 Gun Tactical Match in Laughlin Nev. about 10 yrs. ago if my memory serves me.

Lots of history to 3Gun that not everyone remembers.

i remember those days, eddie. vern still shoots a bit in the norcal area b4 i moved from kali. and yep, still uses a ta-11.

I used to shoot a bit with Vern Hayes, John Cook, Mike Voigt, and Jim Randolph during the Team Eagle Arms days.

Mr. Hayes was always the gentleman and helped me learn how to shoot a rifle half way decent, and he was my go-to guy to get rifle parts. Randolph helped me to build a cool little 16” gun I still use today.

Also still have an Eagle Arms Action master (IIRC the first commercial 3gun rifle) with the old Voigt comp/fluted barrel. It is a tack driver and is still a very good 3 gun rifle by today's standards.

Edd Wosulm and Eagle Arms used to put on a pretty kick ass match every year that was a lot of fun and very challenging both physically and shooting wise.

http://www.uspsa.org/frontsight_archive/a/1992-09.pdf (see page 39 for the 1992 Eagle 3-gun match write up)

Eagle Arms contributed a lot to the sport back then and IMHO pumped up the enthusiasm for the sport and helped get 3gun matches rolling.

I’m not sure but I think that Eagle Arms was bought by Armalite in the 90’s sometime. Maybe I’ll have to get that book with the history of 3g matches.

The other way around. Eagle Arms purchased the Armalite Name. The original Armalite has not been around for a long time.

Alaskapopo - Thanks. When I posted I had just skimmed this thread and the name Vern Hayes and Eagle arms caught my eye. Now that I have had time to actually read all of this thread I see you posted that Eagle Arms bought the Armalite name in post #74. Also, I see I misspelled Edd Woslum's last name in my original post.
oops! :rolleyes:

If they were around in the past and are coming back into the game now I think that is great. If they are brand new and stepping in that's great too. If they were out of the game of 3 gun and out of the prize table giving for a while, so what. Maybe there bottom line could not support it then and now they can. With a 3gun rifle out there I hope to see them sponsoring some matches.

Jay

While I can understand a certain level of respect for a company that has been as pivotal in the AR business as Armalite has been, I simply can't imagine that their marketing people are sitting around wondering why they aren't selling more rifles to 3-gunners because they used to have a team and were a big supporter of the sport 20 plus years ago. Exactly the same way that I am sure that Stag isn't expecting their contributions in 2013 to carry them through the next 20-30 years. Sorry but we live in a "what have you done for me lately" kind of world these days.

I have said it before and it is still valid - you can build a really nice rifle (just the way you want it) for really close to the same price as these off the shelf units that everybody has. As simple as the AR platform is, you really should know how it goes together. What better way to get that knowledge than by building your own rifle? I watched three youtube videos and I am now a gunsmith…...

Depends upon the person I guess. Looking at it from a marketing perspective, I would not expect my marketing budget from 5 (or 20) years ago to have an effect on this years sales. Do you honestly expect that it should?

I wasn't shooting 3-gun or anything else 5 years ago. How could I be expected to know about or base decisions upon marketing efforts from way back when?

Like it or not, loyalty ain't what it used to be. With people or companies. If a company has made the corporate decision that our niche isn't worthy of their marketing dollars, why should we as a group keep the same old ideas about their worthiness when it comes to our dollars?

I don't have anything against any if the companies mentioned in this thread, I just think that the idea that a person should be loyal to a company that isn't loyal to them (or their niche) is flawed. While a company may have done plenty for you to be fiercely loyal to them, don't expect that loyalty to apply to everybody.

Fair enough! I would like to point out that I am not "fiercely loyal" to Armalite, and that they have never "done" anything for me, but I did end up with one of their toaster along with the AR-10 I won in 2009.

I'm glad I didn't have to think about all this. I just started by using what I had, and continue to do so. If I ever get another, I would even use a Garrand and M1911. All the talk about who sponsors more, who has best prize table and how it should be awarded, makes me glad to be at the bottom of the food chain where just pulling the trigger lots of times is still the fun and attraction.

I agree with Latech15. I am new to 3 gun and when I started buying gear I had no idea if who supported what, as far as sponsorships or prize tables go. I still don't have personal experience add I have not made it to any matches with a prize table. Armalite will sell some of their rifles because some people don't know or care about who sponsors what. As I see it, buy what you like. I shoot an 18" spr profile bcm upper on a jp complete lower. I didn't buy either because of prize table but because it is what I liked and could afford. if I were to start over I might end up with an armalite because it seems like a nice rifle for the price. I rambled there a bit but there my two cents