Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite 3-gunner

LordWhorfin

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have another AR manufacturer that has no involvement with the sport or it's shooters that has decided to build a factory 3 gun rifle?

I wonder what 3 gunners Armalite consulted with to design this model? Or did they perhaps consult Stag, DoubleStar, Colt Competition, Lancer and JPs product catalogs to see how to build a 3 gun rifle?

Buy from a company that has involvement with the sport.

So we have another AR manufacturer that has no involvement with the sport or it's shooters that has decided to build a factory 3 gun rifle?

I wonder what 3 gunners Armalite consulted with to design this model? Or did they perhaps consult Stag, DoubleStar, Colt Competition, Lancer and JPs product catalogs to see how to build a 3 gun rifle?

^^^This^^^

^^^This^^^

This ^^^ Again!

Well "THIS" for "this^^^", and "this^^^ again"

Armalite may not be doing that much here in the U.S. at the moment, but how quickly we forget that they were HUGE sponsores of the S.O.F. match and Mesa. They had a shooting team and lot,s of product on the prize table. Over seas they are still quite active especially in the Nordic countries and even have several shooting teams over there. If it wasn't for Armalite we probably wouldn't have brakes and they pioneered the flat top. They were the ones that conmvinced Trijicon to make a flat top mount for the ACOGS. Yeah bellittle them all you like but they HAVE been supporters of 3-gun before most of you guys even decided to own a BB gun. I would look for them to re- invest in the sport like they did before.

They certainly have done more for 3-gun than Colt ever has and yet you guys are all about giving Colt a pass! Now why is that?

Edited by kurtm

Armalite may not be doing that much here in the U.S. at the moment, but how quickly we forget that they were HUGE sponsores of the S.O.F. match and Mesa. They had a shooting team and lot,s of product on the prize table. Over seas they are still quite active especially in the Nordic countries and even have several shooting teams over there. If it wasn't for Armalite we probably wouldn't have brakes and they pioneered the flat top. They were the ones that conmvinced Trijicon to make a flat top mount for the ACOGS. Yeah bellittle them all you like but they HAVE been supporters of 3-gun before most of you guys even decided to own a BB gun. I would look for them to re- invest in the sport like they did before.

They certainly have done more for 3-gun than Colt ever has and yet you guys are all about giving Colt a pass! Now why is that?

^^^This^^^

A helping of crow is best served on a plate of humility. ?

The Armalite team used to dominate the S.O.F. team shoot offs. You might recognize some of these shooters, although they are somewhat obscure by "todays" shooters. Team Captain...John Cook, team members, Bennie Cooley Jr., Mike Voight, Todd Salmon. I recall picking several of their rifles off of prize tables.

Yes how quick we forget.

In 1994 Colt went along with the ban on 30rd AR mags made after 94 in New York State.

Look where we are now.

Down to 7 rd mags!!!!!

Well I haven't ever seen an armalite rifle on any prize table I've looked at. But I do see colt rifles and colt shooters at very match I've attended in the last 1-2 years.

Maybe armalite doesn't have the same management they had in 1965.

Let's not forget to thank armalite for the original design of the AR rifle. I mean that outta be enough, right?

But I haven't ever seen an armalite rifle on any prize table I've looked at since 2009. But I do see colt rifles and colt shooters at very match I've attended in the last 1-2 years.

Maybe armalite doesn't have the same management team they had in 1965.

I had NEVER seen a COLT untill 1 1/2 years ago, but I did see Armalites well into 2000,s.Heck even your sponsor didn't do anything for 3-gun untill VERY recently. Now they do a bunch, but they didn't use to. It is amazing what a little T.V. will bring out, both in sponsorship and individuals!

As for "different management", It isn't even the same company. Eagle Arms attained the rights to the name back in the early 90,s. In 1965 Armalite was owned by Fairchild Aircraft, which is long gone, Armalite didn't design the rifle Eugene Stoner did, Fairchild just partnered with Stoner to produce the rifles. So you see your premiss is flawed! Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Kurt, thanks for the history lesson. You're right, I was still shooting bb guns back when the last SOF match was held, so I was unaware of Armalites previous support of the sport. This topic just rubs me a little because of RRA was the first to say "hey, look at our 3 gun rifle!" without actually being involved with the sport.

As far as Colt goes, I think it's important that we recognize the difference between Colt Manufactuing and Colt Competition. Colt Competition has supported the sport since it was formed. Colt Manufacturing doesn't.

Yes Jesse A company DID advertize that way!! It is still around! As I recall it is called J.P. Enterprises, who has supported the sport of 3-gun since the 90,s. I agree about your marketing statment, but it is hardly fair to say "don't get Armalite because they don't support the sport" without all the background info which says they have!

Good point about Colt Bryan!

Kurt, thanks for the history lesson. You're right, I was still shooting bb guns back when the last SOF match was held, so I was unaware of Armalites previous support of the sport. This topic just rubs me a little because of RRA was the first to say "hey, look at our 3 gun rifle!" without actually being involved with the sport.

As far as Colt goes, I think it's important that we recognize the difference between Colt Manufactuing and Colt Competition. Colt Competition has supported the sport since it was formed. Colt Manufacturing doesn't.

Very true about Colt Competition. Colt Mfg doesnt even make those guns, Bold Ideas or something like that does.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

How long has 3 gun been around ? I mean sanctioned events ... not "We were shooting 3 guns and making a competition of it back in '71"...

I think its only fair to say thanks, to those who have paved the way, however, without the new breed of modern 3gunner (ie Jesse, Daniel, Kalani, Bryan)....TV (3GN) & The companies that "just started supporting 3gun 1-2 years ago".... this would still be a "what kind of competition??...Ive never heard of it". New ideas, new products, new competitors makes tighter competition ..... which forces new ideas new products etc.... its just the way it is....

to the OP buy an AR from the company YOU like & want to support....

just my 2cents....

Also not entirely accurate. Colt Mfg as well as Colt Competition sponsored the NW Multigun this year. From what I understand there were Gold Cups and Mustangs as well as CCR rifles on the table.

It's great we all want to support our favorite companies but there are a lot of matches out there. Making statements about companies not supporting can't help to get companies that are just coming back, to keep coming back.

Chuck, thanks for that reminder. Now that you mention it, there were a few Colt handguns on the FNH USA 3 Gun table too, in addition to several nice rifles from Colt Competition.

Edited by Bryan 45

How long has 3 gun been around ? I mean sanctioned events ... not "We were shooting 3 guns and making a competition of it back in '71"...

Soldier of Fortune 3 Gun was first held in 1985 from what I've found. Someone needs to catalog a history of the sport before everyone involved dies off.

That would be a bunch of catloggin ! '85 .... wow.... very cool Thanks for the research SinistralRifleman